SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am going to putting my car on a dyno for the very first time. A group of friends invited me and for $40.00 I think its a great deal considering most shops charge twice that around here.

Since I have never even seen a dyno test done, what should I expect?

Is the HP for our cars crank HP or wheel HP?

The upgrades I have done are: K&N Intake, ATP Intercooler, Full 3inch exhaust including downpipe.
I have 30,500 miles on my car. What kind of result should I expect?

And how do you read the graphs?

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Re: dyno results? (x-omatic)

Depends on what dyno it is.

Advertised HP is always crank, while dynometers usually show wheel HP. Sometimes the dynometer is configured to estimate crank HP.

I'm going to guess 200HP +- 10. -10 on dynometer and +10 on dynojet.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Re: dyno results? (volvoNB)

wiht your mods, anything from around 170-200 wheel horsepower.

when you finish the dyno , dont be surprised if your dashboard is litup like a christmas tree.. its normal.. just drive a few hundred meters and it will all go away.

it will help if you pump the best quality gas you can get hold off, dyno fans tend to be small, so heatsoak and premature detonation is always a problem.

open the bonnet for the runs too.

the graphs are easy enoug hto read.. just plot hp or torque against RPM.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
You'll have to disable DSTC wheel spin control if you have DSTC. If you're behind the wheel for the pulls, don't forget to hold the wheel tight - torque steer doesn't care if you're on the road or a roller.

What brand dyno is it? That will affect the output.

·
Registered
9,124 Posts
Re: (mattdoc)

Good point, IF you allow you to run your own car on the dyno just gotta anticipate everything. Keep the wheel tight and straight as possible and if the vehicle starts to walk on the dyno at all let off the gas DONT hit the brake.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (ForceFed Motorsports)

Thanks for the advise. I don't know what type of Dyno it is yet. Good idea on the DSTC. I have the auto with techtronic and was thinking it would be best to use 3rd gear. Any thoughts on which gear to use?

·
Registered
9,124 Posts

Quote, originally posted by mattdoc »
I've heard you want to get as close as you can to a 1:1 ratio.

Thats correct http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote, originally posted by mattdoc »
I've heard you want to get as close as you can to a 1:1 ratio. I'm not sure how much it really matters, though.

4th was closest for my 6-speed, it's a .95 ratio, and was what I used.

I don't think I can start in 4th gear. Only 1st - 3rd.

·
Registered
9,124 Posts
Re: (x-omatic)

What they will have you do is get up to into 4th gear then have you drop the RPMS in 4th around 1500 and floor it. Bounce off the limiter once or twice and your done. Never dyno'd an automatic but is the same concept.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Re: (ForceFed Motorsports)

Yea, if you're rolling it'll stay in 4th. It won't downshift itself in manual mode unless you come to <5-7mph. Just roll up to the pre-determined speed and move yourself into 4th if they let you. Otherwise they should know how to do it.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

It was a DYNOJET.
MY best HP was 208 and best Torque was 296
I did 3 pulls in 3rd and one in 4th.
The 4th gear pull I hit the 130MPH limiter at about 5200rpm.

They are going to email us the results and I have a print out of one of them.

My friends with the SRTs have some serious HP! I never knew these cars could have so much power to the wheel

I'll post some more numbers once I have them.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: dyno results? (Mistral)

Quote, originally posted by Mistral »
if thats WHP readings, thats a very high torque figure for just a DP and FMIC.

Yes it is wheel HP.
I have a K&N intake, ATP Intercooler, and 3inch turbo back. I also ran it with the CAT on. I have a race pipe but didn't have a O2 sensor spacer to run it.

My first pull had 208 HP and 238 torque. That was from 2000 rpm in 3rd gear.
My second pull I had 199 HP and 296 torque. That was from 1500 rpm in 3rd gear.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts

Your HP is way lower than mine was, but the torque is about the same. I have similar mods to you but also have a RICA downpipe-tune. What really matters is you have baseline data on a specific dyno for your next mod. I put down 288hp/303tq on a mustang dyno in a ~25 deg F garage.

What was your boost showing, if you have a gauge? Mine was between 11-12psi.

You need a tune now, just so you don't have that pesky 130mph limiter

·
Registered
953 Posts
Any dyno operator worth their salt will walk you through all the advice in this thread.

I dyno'd on a Mustang Dyno tuned to DynoJet numbers and hit a little under 200 horse, 232 lb/ft of torque. Completely stock FWD 6 spd.

Edit: Didn't realize you already posted your results. Pretty damn good. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.