SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
I know this is a bit late in notice but if any of you are in the south eastern part of NC (ie: Wilmington, NC) then a local speed shop is having a little dyno day tomorrow afternoon at 5506 Market Street in the back bay with a Dyno Jet.

At any rate I should get a pretty good baseline for my car and then see what enhancements are going to do to it (read: chip, DP & exhaust.......for now:D)

If interested, just show up at like 1:30pm or give me a call at 804-319-0913 and I can hopefully steer you in to the shop. Later guys and ill post the Dyno results tomorrow afternoon. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Dyno Day! (Tarheelvolvo)

Okay, so I have the baseline Dyno but my stupid image hosting site keeps resizing it to a tiny unreadable size.

Anyone who can help resize and either host or send it back to me im all game. Just shoot me a message with your email and ill send you the dyno chart.

p.s. just a tidbit of info to tease you all with, we did put a nitrous sprayer to the intercooler on one run to see what the effects were on a stock car....pretty interesting. Also found that the base HP (if using the 15% drive train loss calculation) is actually higher than what Volvo states!

Hope to have this posted if a photo wizard can help. TIA http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by Tarheelvolvo at 8:24 PM 5-13-2006

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Re: Dyno Day! (Tarheelvolvo)

I can host them if you send them to me, you will have to wait till the end of the week when I get some time off of work.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I'll host - grokfu at hotmail dot com

·
Registered
365 Posts
Re: (quick)

Hosted:

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Above is my Baseline Dyno! (thanks to quick for hosting!)

Note this was performed on a Dyno Jet with a relative temp of 81 degree's outside and somewhere in the neighborhood of 40% Humidity. All figures are WHP not crank.

ALSO NOTE: The blue (darker line) run indicates nitrous sprayed manually onto the intercooler but it died 3/4 of the way through the run (as you can clearly see) because we were just messing around and it was an almost empty bottle they had laying around.

By my calculations of 15% DriveTrain Loss that would calculate to 227.24HP at the wheels and a conservative 237.24HP at the crank with nitrous spray on the stock intercooler. Im thinking of getting a CO2 or Nitrous spray installed so we should see somewhere in the ball park of 15-20HP gain.

Hope these help and ill keep you updated as performance mods are done. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

Oh, and one other thing that I noticed (or the guy pointed out to me) was that our cars seem to run quite lean on the air/fuel mix as most turbo cars run in the 11 range where as our are clearly higher. Any thoughts about that? Or maybe why Volvo decided to tune it that way ( I would assume for MPG)?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Re: (Tarheelvolvo)

Quote, originally posted by Tarheelvolvo »
Oh, and one other thing that I noticed (or the guy pointed out to me) was that our cars seem to run quite lean on the air/fuel mix as most turbo cars run in the 11 range where as our are clearly higher. Any thoughts about that? Or maybe why Volvo decided to tune it that way ( I would assume for MPG)?

That 15:1 or so does look pretty lean...how are they measuring it? Off the ECU? On my WRX it was good to see about 12:1 under load but there was no wideband O2 sensor so if you wanted to know what it really was you needed a separate sensor.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (Crashy)

They stuck some device/sensor way up the tailpipe of the car and I would assume the reading are from that based on the exhaust gas. What can be done to lower the air/fuel mix to somewhere near 12 or 11 and would there be a requisite power increase for that mixture? You racer guys, im looking at you since I havent messed around with Dyno's before so I have never had qualitative data to support my crazy claims, haha.

·
Registered
365 Posts
You'd need either a piggyback or standalone ECU to control injector pulse.

I wouldn't worry about it while you're stock. Sometimes the probes on those A/F meters are full of $hit.

·
Premium Member
9,305 Posts

No, the T5 in our cars runs about 15:1 until it loads up, then the ECU richens it. My dyno runs were identical to these a/f curves.

An ECU piggyback!? Yeah, right. When you get yours working let us know. Hint, the ECU is a Bosch Motronic ME9.

Tarheelvolvo - thanks for sharing the curves. But, don't put too much stock in the absolute values. They're a decent baseline to compare things you do later though. Usually. I have found a lot to disbelieve in my Dynojet experiments. A lot.

Earlier runs: http://forums.swedespeed.com/z...76674

Tom.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts

the figures you get from the exhaust tip readings tend to be leaner.... so i wouldnt be unduly worried.

as your car is stock, you can be pretty much guaranteed its running at optimum A/F.

these dynojet graphs are really strange though, i would have expected a bit more peakiness.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (Mistral)

Peakiness where? From the HP? Torque starts out and remains pretty high on our cars so that would "peak" per se. I was going to see if I could get it plotted against RPM instead of speed next time to get something more readable.

·
Premium Member
9,305 Posts

They didn't give you the datafiles? Ask for them, then go to http://www.dynojet.com and download WinPEP. That's what I did to generate my graph above.

Tom.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts

Peakiness where? From the HP? Torque starts out and remains pretty high on our cars so that would "peak" per se. I was going to see if I could get it plotted against RPM instead of speed next time to get something more readable.

guess its just different dynos,, but mine have a distinc bell curve to them.

·
Registered
327 Posts

Above is my Baseline Dyno! (thanks to quick for hosting!)

Note this was performed on a Dyno Jet with a relative temp of 81 degree's outside and somewhere in the neighborhood of 40% Humidity. All figures are WHP not crank.

ALSO NOTE: The blue (darker line) run indicates nitrous sprayed manually onto the intercooler but it died 3/4 of the way through the run (as you can clearly see) because we were just messing around and it was an almost empty bottle they had laying around.

By my calculations of 15% DriveTrain Loss that would calculate to 227.24HP at the wheels and a conservative 237.24HP at the crank with nitrous spray on the stock intercooler. Im thinking of getting a CO2 or Nitrous spray installed so we should see somewhere in the ball park of 15-20HP gain.

Hope these help and ill keep you updated as performance mods are done. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

Yeah, that is old school thinking about the AF for turbos. Today the combustion temps can run higher because the materials for the engine/exhuast/turbine are better. Therefore seeing 12:1 factory isn't unusual.
I ran my 10:1 compression ratio Ford Engine with 10psi boost, 92 octane and 12.2:1 AF ratio and never had an issue in two years, so I think this is very much just more validation of this fact. It is just more efficient power now.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Re: (Mistral)

Quote, originally posted by Mistral »
the figures you get from the exhaust tip readings tend to be leaner.... so i wouldnt be unduly worried.

as your car is stock, you can be pretty much guaranteed its running at optimum A/F.

these dynojet graphs are really strange though, i would have expected a bit more peakiness.

Don't worry, it is becasue the dyno only represents 3000 rpm range that it appears so wide and flat.
2500-6500 range,
4700rpm torque drop off with an overall gradually decreasing torque curve.... pretty much exactly in line with the others.
Also exactly what I was predicting last summer. Hehehe.

·
Premium Member
9,305 Posts
Re: (warmonger)

Quote, originally posted by warmonger »
Therefore seeing 12:1 factory isn't unusual.
Let's stick to the S40/V50 Volvo T5: 9.0:1.

Tom.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: (royale5)

93 Octane

Looking at getting aquamist water/meth injection and maybe a C02 or N02 sprayer up front. They are measuring right now to see if any FMIC will fit in the space provided and they may also custom build a new radiator to get things cooler by increasing surface area. Let you guys know whats going on once I get a report.

·
Registered
2 Posts

If you are really concerned with cooling and heatsoak you could look into an AW IC. That may give you a more consistent lower temp than a sprayer system. I have a VW 1.8t so I am not real familar with the setup on these motors but the concept is the same. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 20 of 21 Posts