SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
I've been VERY impressed with the sound in my '13, but I haven't been able to determine which system is installed. The original window sticker doesn't indicate Premium sound, which led me to believe no subs. I haven't noticed a separate sub adjustment on the equalizer, so I'm assuming they aren't installed, yet this car has crazy bass..which I love! Did we just luck out and get great sound with the standard system? Is there a simple way for me to determine whether there are subs, without removing seat backs?.

·
Registered
129 Posts
DO NOT PULL THAT WIRE HANDLE!!!!!

That is to release the roof hydraulic lines pressure in case of emergency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Never would have thought that. Thank god didnt pull anything

·
Registered
139 Posts
I've been VERY impressed with the sound in my '13, but I haven't been able to determine which system is installed. The original window sticker doesn't indicate Premium sound, which led me to believe no subs. I haven't noticed a separate sub adjustment on the equalizer, so I'm assuming they aren't installed, yet this car has crazy bass..which I love! Did we just luck out and get great sound with the standard system? Is there a simple way for me to determine whether there are subs, without removing seat backs?.
If your car says "High Performance" on the radio when starting, well, that's what you've got. Dynaudio has a badge on the center speaker.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

Dynaudio went away in 2012, I have the 2012 premium, to see if you have a subwoofer press the Tuning Sound button , press a few times past bass treble mid and Subwoofer will show if you have them. The doors are three way speakers with 8 inch woofers, so they go fairly low.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Fantastic that you have DynAudio for your home system. I have a tight budget and am running a pair of Polk Audio LSi15s with upgrades (prototypes from Polk... I had a friend on the inside) and driven by a Parasound HCA-1000A that I rebuilt and Jon Curl advised me on souping up.

I installed the Volvo DynAudio speakers and amp in my V50 that has the (cough...cough...) Performance system. It is a huge improvement but that was a shameful system and it was great effort to do so. The Volvo DynAudio drivers share some characteristics with the true DynAudio drivers but I would consider them a budget version. You can do better with aftermarket. Focal makes some nice speakers that folks seem to like in the S40 and V50.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Fantastic that you have DynAudio for your home system. I have a tight budget and am running a pair of Polk Audio LSi15s with upgrades (prototypes from Polk... I had a friend on the inside) and driven by a Parasound HCA-1000A that I rebuilt and Jon Curl advised me on souping up.

I installed the Volvo DynAudio speakers and amp in my V50 that has the (cough...cough...) Performance system. It is a huge improvement but that was a shameful system and it was great effort to do so. The Volvo DynAudio drivers share some characteristics with the true DynAudio drivers but I would consider them a budget version. You can do better with aftermarket. Focal makes some nice speakers that folks seem to like in the S40 and V50.
Thanks for the info, that is why I started the thread, my premium Harman sound is ok but knowing Dynaudio I thought it would be a bit tighter and a good improvement especially with the highs. Since it is a digital amp in my car I was thinking that did not change, but are you saying with Dynaudio they used a better amp? I was thinking after finding the drivers I would just need to take the door panels off and replace the speakers. Let me know if I am in for more than that.

On your home system John Curl is a legend and I bet he got your HCA close to or as good as the sound of the newer Halo's. The LSI 15's were well reviewed in standard form, so if you got tweaked ones, they must be great.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts