SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 and they stopped with Dynaudio in 2010. I have owned Dynaudio home speakers and they are very good.

I see Dynaudio drivers on Ebay for my car; but have no idea if they are a big enough improvement to warrant the $$ and labor of taking the door panels off to switch them out.

Anyone heard them both and have a comparison?

Thanks.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I've owed a c70 in the past with the performance sound, and my parents have the Dynaudio package in their C70. I'm no audiophile, but I do love to crank it up for the music I listen to. It's my opinion that the Dynaudio produces moderately more bass, but otherwise audio quality and fidelity is about the same. Both sound great when turned up, but the Dynaudio is able to get louder without distortion.

If I was buying a C70 right now, I'd try to find one with Dynaudio, but it wouldn't be a dealbreaker for me, if that helps. Keep in mind these are ~10-12 year old vehicles, so take it all with a grain of salt, speakers do age.

·
Registered
2007 S40 2.4i AW55-50 / 2007 C70 T5 AW55-50
421 Posts
It's my opinion that the Dynaudio produces moderately more bass
Don’t forget the Dynaudio also comes with 2 subwoofers in the back seats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
117 Posts

Back seats? Do you got info where do they come?

·
Registered
421 Posts
They are located behind the backrest of the back seats.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Subwoofer info pulled from VIDA / Product Specifications -> Design and Function -> Function group 395:

Design
Control module

The Subwoofer module (SUB) contains an amplifier.
The amplifier has two channels, one for each sound axis. The output from each channel of the amplifier is 130 W at 4 Ω. Power booster amplification is set so that the acoustic output from the subwoofer module (SUB) matches the other speaker channels.

When transferring sound signals to the subwoofer module (SUB), the infotainment control module (ICM) allocates a channel on the MOST network. The audio module (AUD) transmits sound signals to the subwoofer module (SUB) via the MOST network. All filtering and sound treatment of the sound signal takes place in the audio module (AUD). Volume control takes place in the subwoofer module (SUB).

The volume of the subwoofer module (SUB) is raised or lowered using the volume knob on the infotainment control module (ICM). The infotainment control module (ICM) transmits a request on the MOST network to the subwoofer module (SUB), which then processes the request and actively raises or lowers the volume.

The limiter function in the subwoofer module (SUB) does not permit an increase in the output level if this would lead to a fall in sound quality.

The subwoofer module (SUB) is powered via the central electronic module (CEM).

Subwoofer

There are two subwoofers, these are located behind the rear seat backrests.
The speaker elements are two 9 inch subwoofers with a voice coil in each. The impedance is 4 Ω for each voice coil.

also I found this picture:

·
Registered
421 Posts

I’ll correct myself. Turns out the subwoofers are optional.

·
Registered
117 Posts
They are located behind the backrest of the back seats.

Didnt know this. During winter ill probably remove the rear seat to check if i got them or not.
Thanks for the pic.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I’ll correct myself. Turns out the subwoofers are optional.

Maybe its possible to know by the VIN nr if they are installed?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My Performance system has the woofers. Check the the basic EQ settings you will find a subwoofer level setting if you have them. When in the variable equalizer settings they also have there own frequency settings.
I am pretty sure they were standard with the Dynaudio or Performance audio systems.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow Facusan, that is helpful info, 130 watt amp at 4ohms makes replacing these easy if someone wanted to upgrade. Can you post or send me the specs on the door speakers? Hopefully it will list the same for each speaker. Depending on the info VIDA gives you can you check and see if there are differences between the Dynaudio and Performance?

Thanks

·
Registered
421 Posts
Here is a copy/paste from VIDA / Product Specifications -> Design and Function -> Function group 393:

This should have all the info you are looking for:

Integrated Audio Module (IAM) design:
Control module

The integrated audio module (IAM) is mounted in the center console. It is integrated with the audio unit and they are replaced together.

The infotainment control module (ICM) display shows the current status of the integrated audio module (IAM).

Integrated audio module (IAM) has an integrated amplifier (only Performance) with a power output of 4x20 W.
The two other versions do not have an integrated amplifier, they use the Audio module (AUD) as an amplifier.

Antennas

C30/S40/V50

C70

The integrated audio module (IAM) is connected to an AM and FM antenna system. This consists of a main antenna, an FM sub-antenna and an AM antenna. The antennas are connected to an antenna amplifier. The antenna amplifier has two channels: one for the FM main antenna and the AM antenna and another for the FM sub-antenna.
Both channels are connected to the integrated audio module (IAM) via a coaxial cable.
The connection for the sub antenna is used to power the antenna amplifier.

Remote control

Remote control via a steering wheel keypad is available as either an option or as standard equipment depending on the market. The keypad is located on the right side of the steering wheel and is connected to the steering wheel module (SWM) via serial communication.

Loudspeakers

The integrated audio module (IAM) for Performance has 4 speakers directly connected to the control module:

one pair of front loudspeakers
one pair of rear loudspeakers.

Impedance for each speaker is 4 Ω.

For the two other versions with the integrated audio module(IAM), the speakers are connected to the audio module (AUD).
For more information, see Design and Function, Audio Module (AUD).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Audio Module (AUD)
System overview
Control module

The most important task of the audio module (AUD) is handling the functions of the front, rear and center speakers and microphone.

If a subwoofer module (SUB) is installed on the MOST network, the audio module (AUD) transmits signals to the subwoofer module (SUB).

The audio module (AUD) communicates with directly connected components and with other control modules and components via the MOST network, a fiber optic network used for communication.

The Audio module (AUD) checks internal components, executed activations and input/output signals via its integrated diagnostics. If the control module detects a fault, a diagnostic trouble code is generated. Any diagnostic trouble codes are stored in the control module memory. The information can be read via the data link connector in the vehicle.

In order to work correctly on the MOST network, the infotainment control module (ICM) checks that the serial number in the audio module (AUD) is correct. The audio module (AUD) will not function if the number is incorrect. Try switching the ignition off and on if there are problems when replacing the control module.

A simple way to check whether the control module is functioning is to switch on the radio and to then change the volume. The volume from the loudspeakers should rise and fall with the changes.

The Audio module (AUD) is a slave module on the MOST network. The infotainment control module (ICM) is the master control module.

The following versions of Audio module (AUD) are available:

• High Performance
• Premium Sound

The number of functions and loudspeaker outlets varies between the versions. The power output of the versions is also different.

The control module is located in the cargo compartment, behind the left wheel arch.
In the C30, the control module is located behind the right-hand side panel.

--------------------------------------------

Audio Module (AUD) design:
Control module

The Audio module (AUD) is an amplifier that transports the audible signal, transmitted on the MOST network, out to the directly connected loudspeakers.

If there is a subwoofer module (SUB) installed on the MOST network, the audio module (AUD) can process the incoming signal and transmit it to the subwoofer module (SUB).

The following versions of Audio module (AUD) are available:
• High Performance
• Premium Sound

Audio module (AUD) High Performance has an output of 4x40 W and Premium Sound has 5x130 W.

Each version of the audio module (AUD) has a different number of loudspeakers and different loudspeaker models.

Functions in the audio module (AUD)

The audio module (AUD) can run a number of different functions, but these functions can also be activated by other nodes. An example of these functions is lowering and increasing the volume. The signal comes from the infotainment control module (ICM), but it is the audio module (AUD) that actually changes the volume. The functions are described below.

1. Adjustable volume, raises and lowers the volume
2. Adjustable bass, raises and lowers the bass level
3. Adjustable treble, raises and lowers the treble level
4. System generated sound signals, assist other nodes in the system with single sound signals generated in the control module, for example alarm signals for the park assistance function.
5. Limiter, the limiter function in the control module does not permit an increase in the power output level if this leads to a fall in sound quality
6. Mixing, mixing allows numerous different sound types to be mixed. In this case, the different sound types are foreground noise, background noise and system generated sound signals. An example of this is where a CD is playing (background noise) and the carphone rings (foreground noise). The ringing signal will be heard through the loudspeakers while the volume of the music drops at the same time
7. Digital bass loudspeaker output, via MOST network, transmits signals to Subwoofer module (SUB). No foreground noise must be included in the signals.
8. Bass compensation, the bass from the control module is compensated or modified depending on the volume level and the speed of the car. If the vehicle speed and volume level changes, the bass compensation is also changed
9. Treble compensation, the treble in the control module is compensated or modified depending on how the volume is changed. If the volume changes, the treble compensation also changes
10. Equalizer setting, sound compensation, there are different settings for the sound from the audio module (AUD). This compensates for factors such as the location of the loudspeakers and the layout of the car interior.
11. Dolby ProLogic II, a surround decoder for playing sound.

There are two types of sound, foreground sound and background sound. The sounds which are foreground and background are listed below.

Foreground sound:
• navigation
• system generated sound from the audio module (AUD) (different types of alarm sound)
• traffic messages.

Background sound:
• analogue radio, AM/FM
• CD player
• playing sound via the AUX input.

The functions in the different versions of the audio module (AUD) are:

High Performance
1. adjustable volume
2. adjustable bass level
3. adjustable treble level
4. system generated sound signals
5. limiter
6. mixing
7. digital bass speaker output
8. bass compensation
9. treble compensation
10. equalizer

Premium Sound
1. adjustable volume
2. adjustable bass level
3. adjustable treble level
4. system generated sound signals
5. limiter
6. mixing
7. digital bass speaker output
8. bass compensation
9. treble compensation
10. equalizer
11. DPL2 - Dolby ProLogic II

Loudspeakers

High Performance
High Performance uses 8 loudspeakers. It is a 2 way loudspeaker system with base/mid-range and separate trebles. The speakers are installed in the front and rear doors. In the C30 and C70 the rear loudspeakers are installed in the side panel.
The impedance is 2 Ω for the base/mid-range loudspeakers and 8 Ω for the treble speakers.

Premium Sound
For Premium Sound 9 loudspeakers are used. It is a 2 way loudspeaker system with base/mid-range and separate trebles. The speakers are installed in the front and rear doors. In the C30 and C70 the rear loudspeakers are installed in the side panel. To increase the sound there is a 2 way central loudspeaker in the dashboard.
The impedance is 4 Ω for the base/mid-range loudspeakers and 8 Ω for the trebles. The center loudspeaker impedance is 6 Ω if a display screen is installed in the dashboard, otherwise the central loudspeaker impedance is 8 Ω.

Microphone

The microphone is directly connected to the audio module (AUD). The microphone transmits analog signals to the control module.

Telephone calls can be made either hands free or using the handset. During handsfree calls, the microphone and speaker are used which are connected to the audio module (AUD). The microphone is phantom fed via the audio module (AUD).

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you,
I found a site with brochures for each model year, I also took a closer look at my emblem and is says Premium, not Performance as I previously posted. Subs are not listed as an option for any year from 08 on. Included in the "Multi Media package" is Premium Audio and Navigation for 2011. For years 12,13 it was part of the Platinum Package. Prior to that you had to order the Dynaudio to get the subs and navigation was a separate option. It is a bit confusing from year to year. Here is a link to the brochures.

https://personalizeyourvolvo.com/PDF_Brochures/C70/

·
Registered
421 Posts
So that’s the reason why my 07 has Dynaudio but not navigation.

·
Registered
117 Posts
So that’s the reason why my 07 has Dynaudio but not navigation.

My 07 has Dynaudio and navigation. Mine is an EU model, maybe that changes something?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't think so, the original purchaser could have purchased both options, they did not exclude each other.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Removed rear seats, took like 5 mins. My c70 got Dynaudio but no subwoofers behing back seats. So i believe that was an option. Also looks like previous owner keeped rats in the var or the just punched one of the holes.

Also noticed this tuning, will check tomorrow to what this is connected, i believe its for opening the trunk when the microswitch dies, but whats the point if there is already an hole for the key to open the trunk?

·
Registered
117 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
DO NOT PULL THAT WIRE HANDLE!!!!!

That is to release the roof hydraulic lines pressure in case of emergency.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts