SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to have the Volvo subwoofer accessory installed with the 2009 S40 if you get the Dynaudio package? If not, does the head unit at least have a line out for the subwoofer if I wanted to do it myself?<p>Thanks!

·
Registered
951 Posts
Re: Dynaudio+Volvo Subwoofer on 2009 S40? (optimiz3)

It has a connector off the amp, it can be installed easily, its about 900 dollars if the car isn't ordered with it

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Dynaudio+Volvo Subwoofer on 2009 S40? (S40T5TurboGT)

Is this true also for 08' and 09 models? I read somewhere that Volvo explicitly doesn't sell the woofer accessory if you have Dynaudio on these...<br>

·
Registered
38 Posts
Re: Dynaudio+Volvo Subwoofer on 2009 S40? (optimiz3)

I just ordered a V50 2010 with Dynaudio. I emailed Volvo about the head unit to see if it has line out and they replied with:<p>In your car, the low level audio output as well as all infotainment systems communication is via MOST (Media Oriented Systems Transport) protocol using fiber optic based communication. It is not accessible for adding aftermarket components.<p>Thats a pretty good idea to get rid of engine noise and not have to deal with ground loops, but it doesnt help me much. I have read on a couple posts here that the amp has a line out. Does volvo use the same amp for regular and dynaudio or do all the amps have this line out?<p>Does anyone know where the amp is and how easily accessible it is? Should I just get the dealership to dangle some RCA cables for me? Speaking of, should I get them to run my power wire for me as well?

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Re: Dynaudio+Volvo Subwoofer on 2009 S40? (Alives)

The subwoofer is an option and can be added to Dyna audio systems. You need the subwoofer, load floor foam pieces if your not AWD to raise the load floor, and a software update. Also if your car isn't pre-wired from the factory for this then you'll need a wiring harness as well. You can check yourself for the wiring by looking for the power and audio cable leaving the apm for supply the subwoofer or by giving Volvo your VIN to see if it was built with the harness installed. <p>You should also be able to check your HU menu for a subwoofer setting, mine shows up but is greyed out because its not installed. <p>The AMP is the in cargo area lefthand side, to get a good look at you need to remove the spare tire and load floor and some of the rear molding pieces to get the side panel out, for a quick look you can remove the tail light access cover by hand and see a portion of the amp behind there. <p>Volvo's cryptic response mean the audio is done via fiber optic on the vehicles so aftermarket subs and amps aren't just plug and play, it can be done but if you don't know allot about stereos and electronics can be difficult. But the subwoofer your talking about is the factory sub (not aftermarket) and can easily be install by the dealer or with some effort by a DIY, but the SW will still require the dealer. I'd say your looking at ~1000-1500 USD is buying everything new and having the dealer do the SW only. It's best to purchase the vehicle with this already added as an option, otherwise to pricy for what you get IMHO.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Re: Dynaudio+Volvo Subwoofer on 2009 S40? (slrising)

I already have an aftermarket sub and amp that I am ready to install. I do not have the car yet, but it will be ready in 1 month. I am hoping that the amp that it comes with has some sort of line-out so that I can run that into my aftermarket amp. If it doesnt, I will have to go with a speaker-level input which I would rather not do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts