SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I'm very happy with my 08 S80 with Dynaudio, double laminated windows and 4C but....we always want more :).

I believe the S80 is a very quiet car, paired with good comfort tires and the double laminated windows I can't hear anything up to about 110km/h but I'm a bit dissatisfied with the NVH at about 130kmh and up. I somehow sourced the noise coming from the trunk area, especially without a spare wheel and so little sound insulation. I wonder is someone here did apply Dynamat or similar materials meant for audio and noticed significant differences in NVH. Maybe the door panels would benefit from this and improve the already awesome Dynaudio?

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hello RobertoT5. I have experience with a similar product called "Second skin Damplifier sound deadener. I would imagine its the same or similar to Dynamat. I applied it to the trunk area of my Porsche Boxster S. It made a considerable difference in NVH, making the entire car feel more solid, and certainly reduced the noise level. I also removed the "inner fender liners" over the rear wheels as well, and installed the product in there. (the back area of the car was very noisy, especially with the sport exhaust) All of the installed Damplifier made a big improvement in NVH in my opinion.

By the way, I recently changed the tires on our Volvo S80, and installed a set of Vredestein Quatrac 5 tires. Absolute best tires I have had on that car! The Michelin Pilot sports A/S tires I took off, were very noisy, and tram lined from the beginning. (Tram lined= followed the grooves in the road) I have had many Michelin tires on various cars, but the Volvo just didn't seem to like the Michelins. The Vredestein are smooth and very quiet on the S80 and they handle very well.

I see you are from Eastern Europe. My wife and I were in Eastern Europe in 2017. We spent time in Budapest, Prague, Vienna, Krakow, etc. We had a great time. Very beautiful cities!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello RobertoT5. I have experience with a similar product called "Second skin Damplifier sound deadener. I would imagine its the same or similar to Dynamat. I applied it to the trunk area of my Porsche Boxster S. It made a considerable difference in NVH, making the entire car feel more solid, and certainly reduced the noise level. I also removed the "inner fender liners" over the rear wheels as well, and installed the product in there. (the back area of the car was very noisy, especially with the sport exhaust) All of the installed Damplifier made a big improvement in NVH in my opinion.

By the way, I recently changed the tires on our Volvo S80, and installed a set of Vredestein Quatrac 5 tires. Absolute best tires I have had on that car! The Michelin Pilot sports A/S tires I took off, were very noisy, and tram lined from the beginning. (Tram lined= followed the grooves in the road) I have had many Michelin tires on various cars, but the Volvo just didn't seem to like the Michelins. The Vredestein are smooth and very quiet on the S80 and they handle very well.

I see you are from Eastern Europe. My wife and I were in Eastern Europe in 2017. We spent time in Budapest, Prague, Vienna, Krakow, etc. We had a great time. Very beautiful cities!
Hi,
Yes I heard about Second Skin but for some reason I can't seem to find it locally, maybe I'll get it online. I do believe the trunk area lacks a bit of insulation in the S80, even though it's a sedan and shoudn't have such a big impact in terms of NVH as a wagon but I'll try and pad the spare wheel area first, trunk floor and the inner wheel arches. I did saw that some padding exists over the inner rear wheel arches in the trunk, also the plastic covers in all wheel arches is that "Lexus like carpet surface :)".

P.S: Yes, those cities are great to visit! You should also visit Greece (Lefkada for summer), Serbia (Kopaonik for winter)!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi RobertoT5.......thank you for the "travel recommendations"! My wife and I love to travel, and both of your suggestions are on our "bucket list".

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hi guys,
I'm very happy with my 08 S80 with Dynaudio, double laminated windows and 4C but....we always want more :).

I believe the S80 is a very quiet car, paired with good comfort tires and the double laminated windows I can't hear anything up to about 110km/h but I'm a bit dissatisfied with the NVH at about 130kmh and up. I somehow sourced the noise coming from the trunk area, especially without a spare wheel and so little sound insulation. I wonder is someone here did apply Dynamat or similar materials meant for audio and noticed significant differences in NVH. Maybe the door panels would benefit from this and improve the already awesome Dynaudio?

Yup I did it, the floor pan, roof, door, trunk area, wheel wells and the hood. Helps a lot, best bang for buck is the door, then the floor and so on. Trunk helped too

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yup I did it, the floor pan, roof, door, trunk area, wheel wells and the hood. Helps a lot, best bang for buck is the door, then the floor and so on. Trunk helped too
Can you tell me more about the wheel wells?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts