SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guy's, just wanted to introduce myself to the forum and to my recently purchased 2004 MT S60R. Been around Volvo's my whole life, so I figured I couldn't pass up the opportunity. But anyway, went to a Mannheim auction down in Houston and there it was. Silver with 114k, beautiful interior, factory aero kit minus front splitters, ipd exhaust, elevate intake, ipd tcv, snabb turbo inlet, and ipd ic. Figured i might catch the owner on here who did most of the modifications to the car, could use a little chat... Wheels were rashed and yeah it was an 04 so the trim is faded, but all in all seemed like a nice car. I got to take it for a short drive and it felt fantastic as far as the handling. I did notice it didn't pull like it should under a little throttle so lets just say i ended up winning the car with not too much money in the hole, i was happy. Oh and sorry in advance for the lack of critical moment pictures, i decided to do something like this only recently so i wasn't taking a ton while working on it :thumbdown:

But as always, nothing can ever go as planned. Started to notice I was losing coolant, but I couldn't find any trace of it :mad: So I figured I would start with the head gasket. Once i got the head off I figured while it was off I would send it in to a machine shop i am close with just to have it checked over. While that was processing I didn't pay too much more close attention to the now "project" S60R. Head comes back, checks out good but was told someone has already been in there fiddling around and did a little work on it. Alright that's fine, let's take one more look around before i button her back up. Then I saw it... A crack in the number 3 cylinder. Previous owner was actually a dealership close by, they noticed it and dumped the car off at the auction. Oh well life goes on. Time to take the whole engine out.

And some pics of the underbody/ exhaust that i took randomly

Took a huge chance and ordered a used R engine i found for cheap and figured i could always send it back if im not pleased.
So the engine gets in and to my surprising, is actually one of the cleanest decent mileage engines I have ever seen. Went through all the checks and I was pleased enough to decide to throw it back in. Came with the head but no turbo so the original car's turbo is on the car, but the head is not. I didn't want to mess with the modified head until later down the road. I installed most of the aftermarket parts back onto it besides the ipd tcv to limit my variables a little. My first test drive out was a disaster. As soon as the boost kicked in the coils pooped themselves. Ordered new ones along with plugs and it was a night and day difference. My brother has an 07 R so I had a good idea of when it was pulling like it should. Went back to the shop and slapped the ipd tcv on, did a quick ecu reset, and hit the road for adaptation.

As she sits today, bare with me on a couple aspects. Lot of work left to do. What looks like scotch tape on the fogs is actually a faded led light strip :thumbdown: i have the hollow ones on order, just waiting to get them. Gunna get an estimate on how much to buff up the wheel rash, i really do love the pegasus. Everything will be color matched eventually, just know how much of a pita thats going to be. A new front lip will be tossed on after Winter and I no longer drive in Ohio

·
Registered
955 Posts
Welcome to the club and Swedespeed. Sounds like you've been through the ringer with this one, although in the end it seems things turned out for the best.

The car looks to be in good shape outside the stated issues, but hey, they all have issues. It is like driving a car made out of porcelain, and I used to drive B5 S4's...

·
Super Moderator
8,734 Posts
Your trim doesn't look too bad (from the photos, at least) but if you decide to refresh it, I can personally recommend Griot's Rubber Prep followed by Forever Black Trim Dye. Nice looking R! Good luck with everything!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you guy's might think I am insane but i just finished an 18 hour road trip in it from Houston to Ohio. Didn't lose a drop of oil or coolant, the only thing that did scare the **** out of me was a low oil level light so i stopped at the next gas station and checked it. Level was still dead center, must of been the quality sensor that found something it didn't like/possibly going bad. The light went off and stayed off after 50-60 miles and a restart. So all in all everything seems to be healthy.

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
you guy's might think I am insane but i just finished an 18 hour road trip in it from Houston to Ohio. Didn't lose a drop of oil or coolant, the only thing that did scare the **** out of me was a low oil level light so i stopped at the next gas station and checked it. Level was still dead center, must of been the quality sensor that found something it didn't like/possibly going bad. The light went off and stayed off after 50-60 miles and a restart. So all in all everything seems to be healthy.
at that level it'll go in and out, but once you to it off it goes away.

·
Super Moderator
8,734 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Changing it tomorrow. Just hate dumping fresh oil but I put the basic shop synthetic blend in for that exact reason. As far as the low level light I guess it's a good thing its so sensitive, better safe than sorry

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
If its half down top it off first instead of just changing it. Its possible to slosh the oil around a lot to where the warning light will go on but you will be just fine till your change interval if you fill it up to the top mark.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wouldn't be changing it to solve the sensor issue I just am the nervous type of guy, and if I get a new engine even if its used I usually go through a break in period then dump the oil. Even though the engine was really clean inside it could of sat around for a while.

·
Super Moderator
8,734 Posts
Changing it tomorrow. Just hate dumping fresh oil but I put the basic shop synthetic blend in for that exact reason. As far as the low level light I guess it's a good thing its so sensitive, better safe than sorry
Oh, it (foolishly) didn't even occur to me that you just put the engine in and therefore have fresh oil in it. Yeah, scratch my previous advice. Give that fresh oil some time to accumulate all your new dirt and then switch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
New Fog Grilles

Finally received the open fog grille kit. Here is a couple before and after photos. Probably going to work on the cold air intake to my AMS system soon. Definitely not a fan of the LED strips, even if they weren't faded yellow. I will get a hold of a decent camera one of these days, cracked my GS6 camera excuse the dirt in the photos

1 - 12 of 12 Posts