SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if a '95 850 T5-R has a dump valve. I am new to performance upgrades and I was on the Kalmar Union site and I saw a dump valve for sale. With further research I found out this is more of a safeguard for your turbo releasing the built up pressure quickly when the throttle is closed. From the sounds of the infomation I gathered it sounds like damage to your turbo can easily result without one.<P>

·
Registered
6,564 Posts
Yes, our car has similar device, it's called the bypass valve.<BR>Just stick with what you have...it's almost tedious and troublesome for me get into details again. <BR>You won't need another Blow off valve/dump valve, your current BPV is pretty much doing the same thing and more.<BR>I can't imagine any force induction car (I could be wrong) with high boost level running without one.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought we must have had some device since the problems associated with no dump valve are pretty severe. My question now becomes why would someone want to sell a dump valve for an 850?<P>

·
Registered
6,564 Posts
Because they want to make money??<P>It's almost too obvious.<P>Unless you plan on welding your BPV opening closed on your turbo and just get a BOV instead, you will be dumping too much air.<BR>Actually even if you do weld it closed, and use a BOV instead...the amount of air you lost will confuse the computer..and may set off the check engine light.<BR>Or if you are driving a manual car and shifting hard and fast and want the turbo to be more responsive..otherwise don't mess with it. The key word: MANUAL.<BR>Or if your turbo is extremely big and powerful.<P>It's almost like asking why would anyone claim their chip can make your car 300+ hp w/o exhaust upgrade.....out to get ya~!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts