SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if a '95 850 T5-R has a dump valve. I am new to performance upgrades and I was on the Kalmar Union site and I saw a dump valve for sale. With further research I found out this is more of a safeguard for your turbo releasing the built up pressure quickly when the throttle is closed. From the sounds of the infomation I gathered it sounds like damage to your turbo can easily result without one.

· Registered
6,477 Posts
Yes, our car has similar device, it's called the bypass valve.
Just stick with what you have...it's almost tedious and troublesome for me get into details again.
You won't need another Blow off valve/dump valve, your current BPV is pretty much doing the same thing and more.
I can't imagine any force induction car (I could be wrong) with high boost level running without one.

· Registered
6,477 Posts
Because they want to make money??

It's almost too obvious.

Unless you plan on welding your BPV opening closed on your turbo and just get a BOV instead, you will be dumping too much air.
Actually even if you do weld it closed, and use a BOV instead...the amount of air you lost will confuse the computer..and may set off the check engine light.
Or if you are driving a manual car and shifting hard and fast and want the turbo to be more responsive..otherwise don't mess with it. The key word: MANUAL.
Or if your turbo is extremely big and powerful.

It's almost like asking why would anyone claim their chip can make your car 300+ hp w/o exhaust upgrade.....out to get ya~!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.