SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't believe we figured the problem out. Yesterday I noticed on acceleration, a soft clunking sound then lining until dead stop then starting off causes soft clunk. Now I thought this is not the subtle ABS checker what is that sound?
Stop by independent garage and they had a guy ride with me and he heard it. Up on the lift and in 10 mins. He got me and said cv joint is loose. Other 3 were tight as a drink no slop.
I ordered from erirvovo, a used entire driver cv axle. 90 vs 550. Has 80 000mi. I hopefully can get 100k mi more.
Need help on replacing it. I've had seen some youtube videos.
Do I have to disconnect the ball joint?
I'd like to just undo the strut bolts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Well yes and no. It's easier if you do, but you could also remove the strut bolts which works make that easier. First time I removed the ball joint bolt and it's a real PITA pulling the LCA down enough to put the ball joint back in its holder. You also partially loosen the bolt to get just barely enough wiggle room. I did that on my 2nd go around with the other axle.

Sent from my Huawei Mate 9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank phixon.
I think taking the brake assembly off and ABS then the strut bolts and lean it back. I'm hoping that can release the tire side of axel.
I was shocked with the side to side slop that was present with the tire wiggle! I may have also discovered why I have the 40mi/hr vibration. Like my car has a resonant frequency .
At first I thought loose engine mounts. Esp the transmission mount because the noise was when I was acceleration from stop. Not not when accelerating when >20mi/hr.
Do you think $90 for used 80,000 mi is better than $142 for a lesser name brand new cv joint?
I really did not want to pay $550 for new volvo part. The indy said $875 for the parts and job. I said email the quote and I politely left thanking him profusely for diagnosing the problem.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I think you made the right call in getting the used part. I have done the same on multiple occasions and have never had an issue.

Here’s a YT video of when I replaced mine if on my V70XC if that helps.

Be carefully when the new one goes in not to bang it with the bottom of the strut as you work to put the strut back in!

https://youtu.be/pv4jL7F5Hm0

2002 V70XC, 2003 V40, 2004 S60, 2010 V70

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the affirmation on used Volvo parts. Wish I lived near the volvo salvage yard. From google maps it looks like the holy grail of u-pick and pull it for Volvo!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great video! Hope I don't need to remove the strut assembly.
Crazy that he didn't even remove the brake assembly!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All done. Worst part was getting the 2 strut mounts un bolted. Nearly stripped them. Had to have another guy on one nut and breaker bar.
Pry bar at trans mission was easy to pop out.
Going in was tough so we put in the transmission side without the pop
and put in the tire side then could push easier to get the pop.
All together 4 hours with some help.
No vibration and seems tighter handling and no little bump noise going over bumps. So pleased with the exchange. Now only 80,000 mi on the left cv joint axle instead of 187,000 mi
I still have the subtle bump sound when acceleration from stop.
Ball joints and tie rods and sway bar links look great.
Funny thing is the cv boots are perfect,no leaks or cracks.
0 but the transmission side of cv joint was very warm after sitting for 1hr
And had only driven 5miles and gentlymust have been a lot of friction.
So I believe the cv joint needed replacing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts