SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
UPDATE: A short video on page 3

Hey gang,
I just took my R from the exhaust shop today. My dual side exhaust project is finished with a great success. I was not easy to modify the right exhaust piece to match the factory one but with a litle more patience and handy work I got it done. The exhaust I got is a 3" pipe with a resonator which splits to 2.5" pipes right before the tips. That as you can guess is a loud exhaust, probably as loud as the SVR one, which had the same setup. I don't know who makes the tips but they are perfect for the R.
I love the sound and that is what I was looking for.
Next month I am palnning on installing my IPD DP, software, Track spec sways and ss brake lines. I already did the upper engine mount bushing and lower transmision mount. My goal is 400HP and that will get me pretty close.

Here are some pictures, enjoy!

This is my piece, which is pretty close the factory one

The exhaust from underneath:

All washed and shiny. I http://********************/smile/emlove.gif my R

Modified by EAX at 11:42 AM 3-30-2008

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Re: Dual side exhaust w/ factory body kit (EAX)

Just about the nicest looking dual I've seen on a factory kit. And the twin pipes give better clearance and are less likely to cause overheating of the Haldex unit. :thumbsup:

Be interested to see a rear shot from about 8 feet back to see what the twin pipes looking like coming under the axle.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Re: (GPollman)

Wow super nice
http://********************/smile/emthup.gif
Can you find out who makes those tips? I want!

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Looks nice. Where did you end up getting your body kit from?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Dual side exhaust w/ factory body kit (StaggRLee)

Quote, originally posted by StaggRLee »

Be interested to see a rear shot from about 8 feet back to see what the twin pipes looking like coming under the axle.

Thanks!
I will get you those later

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (PhilUp)

Quote, originally posted by PhilUp »
Wow super nice
http://********************/smile/emthup.gif
Can you find out who makes those tips? I want!

Thanks, I will call the shop on monday to ask.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (05BruzaS60r)

Quote, originally posted by 05BruzaS60r »
Looks nice. Where did you end up getting your body kit from?

$1300 from the dealer

·
Registered
1998 V70 T5 with factory m56h; 18t, Green injectors, 50% e85
2,471 Posts
The design is simple and elegant. Should promote free flow. And the tips look smokin' hot. I second the motion for a sound clip!

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Re: (EAX)

Quote, originally posted by EAX »

$1300 from the dealer

steal! looks like the only thing aesthetically you're missing now are the tail lights. i guess thats minor in comparison to the other mods you're looking to do.

·
Registered
226 Posts

I was thinking about doing the dual exhaust myself. I wanted to take the factory driver's side exhaust part and 3D scan it, resurface the scan data and then flip the data on the Y-Axis for the passenger side exhaust part, have the re-surfaced data get made in a rapid prototype machine. Looks ok by hand, but if you look carefully, the passneger side version you made for the hole is a bit smaller than the factory original. And the high light has a wavey look at the top. Sorry I am anal, but I surface for a living and I can pick out the imperfections. I look at surface data .001 of a milli-meter all day long.

FYI, To all of you that did not ever notice, the 2004 S60 R rear bumper sport kit, if you look close, there are 3 slight bumps that Volvo screwed up on. That is why for 2005 on up, they realized their mistake and re-surfaced the lower part of the rear sport bumper, took out the 3 bumps. And that is why, if you look up the part numbers for 2004 and 2005 they are different. Just my obervations.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Dual side exhaust w/ factory body kit (bouncer)

Quote, originally posted by bouncer »
Looks ok by hand, but if you look carefully, the passneger side version you made for the hole is a bit smaller than the factory original. And the high light has a wavey look at the top. Sorry I am anal, but I surface for a living and I can pick out the imperfections. I look at surface data .001 of a milli-meter all day long.

I know buddy, it is kind of hard to bend that plastic perfectly the way you want it by hand. It think it came up pretty good but not perfect. You have to really scrutinize the car to notice it. You DO have a good eye!

Plus I don't have access to a fency 3D modeling equipment like you do

·
Registered
3,892 Posts

Hey gang,

That is one sexy ass!!!!!! Beautifully done EAX, definitely the best dual exhaust setup I have seen! you need to find out who made those tips for sure buddy.......... Remarkable! http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
looks good...i think you should have had your custom exhaust piece painted off the car...since it's now permanently attached with paint to the rest of the car...and hopefully does not move EVER since it's gonna take the paint off your bumper with it.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: Dual side exhaust w/ factory body kit (bouncer)

Quote, originally posted by bouncer »
I was thinking about doing the dual exhaust myself. I wanted to take the factory driver's side exhaust part and 3D scan it, resurface the scan data and then flip the data on the Y-Axis for the passenger side exhaust part, have the re-surfaced data get made in a rapid prototype machine. Looks ok by hand, but if you look carefully, the passneger side version you made for the hole is a bit smaller than the factory original. And the high light has a wavey look at the top. Sorry I am anal, but I surface for a living and I can pick out the imperfections. I look at surface data .001 of a milli-meter all day long.

FYI, To all of you that did not ever notice, the 2004 S60 R rear bumper sport kit, if you look close, there are 3 slight bumps that Volvo screwed up on. That is why for 2005 on up, they realized their mistake and re-surfaced the lower part of the rear sport bumper, took out the 3 bumps. And that is why, if you look up the part numbers for 2004 and 2005 they are different. Just my obervations.

You, my friend, are scary.

It's not a Rolex.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Re: Dual side exhaust w/ factory body kit (Needsdecaf)

Quote, originally posted by Needsdecaf »

You, my friend, are scary.

It's not a Rolex.

Hey, it's not just him. Those three bumps bothered me from the time I got the car. I just figured that volvo must have designed them in for some strange reason.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts

I know buddy, it is kind of hard to bend that plastic perfectly the way you want it by hand. It think it came up pretty good but not perfect. You have to really scrutinize the car to notice it. ....

Any chance that you'll make another piece or possibly reproduce to sell?
I'd definitely be interested.

BTW... what exhaust is that?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Re: (sanatarium)

Nice work EAX http://********************/smile/emthup.gif .

Those tips are Magnaflow manufactured as single pieces and where nicely placed in a staggered position. At least I think that's it because they look the same as mine

·
Registered
1,127 Posts

Did I miss a previous post on this mod? How about posting some how to info on this project. That is absofricking gorgeous!!!!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts