SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There might be another posting of this, sorry in advance.

1. I have a 2004 SR
2. If you have not done this and wanted to, DO IT!
3. If you dont care to have it done, DO IT ANYWAYS!
4. If you're worried about the difficulty, dont, just DO IT!
5. This has got to be the simplest MOD there is... it was litterally done in 3 steps!!

As I was changing my tail lights (Bought Henry's old tail lights with the CF trim on it, he glued it so had to sell the whole lens with the trim, so I tinted his lights and now I have a spare just in case for state inspections and such), I was like, I always wanted to do the dual rear fog lights, but never even tried or such.

Here you go if you wanted/when you do it! :D

Photobucket

Have fun.
Keoni.

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
now it will really look like you have a bad fuse or stuck circuit. THe whole rear fog light thing freaks out people here in the US.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
more than one rear fog might be illegal...just throwing a guess out there

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
now it will really look like you have a bad fuse or stuck circuit. THe whole rear fog light thing freaks out people here in the US.
Yes, but I'd rather have two showing than one; I've only used it twice ever - but both times I felt like I had a bulb out, now two shines.

more than one rear fog might be illegal...just throwing a guess out there
As you may have a point, I'm not sure the legality of the issue but I do know Audi used (but I think the new new Audi's dont, have to look that up) both left and right bulbs for rear fogs stock in the US; also, the mid/late 70's Volvo had two rear fogs.

·
Premium Member
2,600 Posts
There is no legal problem with having two rear fog lights. Audis, Jaguars, The Oldsmobile Aurora, and many other cars have two foglights. Volvo at some point just decided to have only one.

Reactions: kyngofpop

·
Registered
200 Posts
bad idea IMO. it looks too much like brake lights. the whole point of rear fogs is safety in adverse conditions. when you light up both sides you are more likely to get rearended by a tailgater that doesnt realize you are braking, especially on wet, slippery, or snowy roads.

·
Registered
63,542 Posts
Yes, but I'd rather have two showing than one; I've only used it twice ever - but both times I felt like I had a bulb out, now two shines.
We don't care what YOU want, it's obnoxious as hell and very annoying to the driver behind you and it's totally unnecessary :mad:

·
Registered
49 Posts
I use mine as a "get the f of off my tail" light... two may be better than one in that case. At night though when you're getting followed way too closely it works exceptionally well to get the other guy to back off.

·
Registered
386 Posts
you are only supposed to have 1. the reason there are 2 slots is for right hand versus left hand drive.

The rear fogs should ony be on in cases of poor visibillity. It's purpose is to help define where i the lane your car is and that it is on the left side (in america) of the car too pass on.

People who drive with their rear fog lights on in good weather is 1 of my biggest car pet peaves. It ranks right up there with driving in the left lane and throwing ciggarettes out the window.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
I like having one rear fog light because I believe it attracts more attention than just one. It is uncommon to see one light brighter than the others. Dual rear fog lamps can be mistaken for brake lights (stuck on or otherwise), and therefore can blend in with other cars.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
I use mine as a "get the f of off my tail" light... two may be better than one in that case. At night though when you're getting followed way too closely it works exceptionally well to get the other guy to back off.
AKA brake checking, which I think is illegal in many states.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
you are only supposed to have 1. the reason there are 2 slots is for right hand versus left hand drive.

The rear fogs should ony be on in cases of poor visibillity. It's purpose is to help define where i the lane your car is and that it is on the left side (in america) of the car too pass on.

People who drive with their rear fog lights on in good weather is 1 of my biggest car pet peaves. It ranks right up there with driving in the left lane and throwing ciggarettes out the window.
+1. Heck, +3!

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If used properly, they are extremely helpful; the left and right emit bulb is not in relation to LHD or RHD (EU specs automatically emit both irregardless of Origin Country Build) and a lot of US specs and various years have dual emit and US has always been Right Side Driving (LHD).

Agreed that if used improperly they are a potentiality hazard and irritation as to how bright they can be... with that being said, I'm willing to bet that 75% here that has done HID fog light conversions (or similar, like changing to a different bulb to produce either a matching 4300k factory HID color emit or for the safe 'yellow' 3k look) actually drive at night with both headlight and front fog light enabled - is almost as irritating to oncoming drivers as the emitting rear fog light when not required.

Also, the purpose of the rear fog light was to eliminate people using their hazards while driving in dense visible conditions so that the hazards can be properly used when needed.

A lot of you have good points here but strayed from my purpose of the thread; it was to show how to enable both rear fog. I did not mention, as you can tell cause I never did an edit, that i use them regularly but only a couple times ever since having my SR, it just wasn't until now that I decided to do it.

Use them for its intent and purpose, just if you want both emitting, you can now see how easily it can be done.

Keoni.

·
Registered
284 Posts
There's no reason to have both. One gives you plenty of visibility in bad weather, and as others mentioned there is a purpose to it.
Usually my friends an I use them a night when traveling in groups to keep from losing track of people. It's super convenient to be able to look ahead and tell where everyone is. I will say it does get tiring to have to stare at them all night though.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I say go with two and use them wisely lol, its not brake checking its brake foolery! I don't have two rear fogs but I will be doing this soon. And I'm going to drive in the left lane with them on and flick cig butts out the window! Lol

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I say go with two and use them wisely lol, its not brake checking its brake foolery! I don't have two rear fogs but I will be doing this soon. And I'm going to drive in the left lane with them on and flick cig butts out the window! Lol
haha, at least you're being wise about it. :)

Seriously though, its an easy mod and helps with its original intent and purpose.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I need to look into this because I remember not seeing any metal contacts leading to that bulb socket.
GL. My tail light are nothing special, factory 2004 lens.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.