SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to replace the clutch and flywheel on a 2002 V70 T5 and
at a breakeryard i found a very low mileage DMF for 2004 V70 T5.
Later i have found out that the 04 flywheel has a different part no. (31259452)
where the one i have to use has no. 9480660.
From pictures i have found on the internet they look identical, but if there is an "DMF expert"
who knows the difference i will be very happy.:)
The car i still running so it has not been taken apart yet.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've had my transmission out several times. The stack height is fairly close between early and late DMF models, but what you're looking at, difference-wise, is the splining on the input shaft. The '03 and later had the M66, generally, though some of the models had M57's. Even these M57's have the 'upgraded' or larger input shafts, and those had more splines and a larger diameter. You'll need a flywheel/clutch from an M56 model of '02 or earlier to get a match-up.

I just looked, and I don't have my old DMF anymore. =( I guess I must have given it away, but you should be able to hunt one down with enough looking. Good luck!

- Eddie

·
Registered
3 Posts
I used an 04 type R DMF in my 2002 T5 no problem, they are the same part. There are no splines on the flywheel btw, only on the clutch disk, that's what you have to match up to your tranny. The slot that the center spline notches into on the flywheel was not a problem for me even though my year is a weird, one off year.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ahh, right, I didn't mean flywheel, I meant clutch splines. But even so, that's why I mentioned it; The clutch will need to be changed with the new shaft size.

I used an 04 type R DMF in my 2002 T5 no problem, they are the same part. There are no splines on the flywheel btw, only on the clutch disk, that's what you have to match up to your tranny. The slot that the center spline notches into on the flywheel was not a problem for me even though my year is a weird, one off year.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts