SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Really good scores all over. Well impressed with the City Safety too, avoided all attempts at a crash.
I just find it weird the side curtains doesn't deploy in the front offset. It was the same in Volvo's own crash-videos.
Maybe they have decided somehow it isn't pertinent.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
EuroNCAP Crash Test of the new Volvo XC90

Fantastic results!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I want to see the results from an off-road crash test :)

Anyone in the know have any idea how these ratings stack up to the competition?

1) They didn't open the doors, but in each frontal crash, looked like no/very very minimal cabin intrusion.

2) for the side impact with the beam, why was the car slanted?

3) are the avoidance systems any different than the non-2016-XC90's?

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Didn't expect anything less! Great job as always Volvo :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
thanks, this is outstanding.

I'm very excited to see the XC90s technology trickle down to the smaller car segment. The 90 has lots of material to work with, and I'm curious of the relative contributions by Boron steel/design structure/mass elements to crash mitigation.

For example, in an S60, there might not be enough structural mass to provide the proper crumple zones and/or enough Boron steel rigidity to mitigate as much as the 90 does.

I sure hope the rest of the line up will use as much Boron steel as needed, it sure seems to have a positive correlation in the XC90.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I found it a little tough to compare as the Q7 tested didn't have all the safety assistance packages (that are available on the vehicle to purchase) on the test vehicle, thus, the low "Safety Assist" score. That being said, I don't think there's too much argument that the XC90 is the tops in safety. The videos are great.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I found it a little tough to compare as the Q7 tested didn't have all the safety assistance packages (that are available on the vehicle to purchase) on the test vehicle, thus, the low "Safety Assist" score. That being said, I don't think there's too much argument that the XC90 is the tops in safety. The videos are great.
The only drivers aid that was not available in the Q7 was the "Lane Keeping Assistance"...The Q7 even had something called "Active bonnet", something that the XC90 did not. Note: Pedestrian and Cyclist detection was not even tested on the XC90, those drivers aid will be added next year to Euro NCAPs testing routine.

Volvo XC90:

Audi Q7:

·
Registered
103 Posts
From www.tekninkensvarld.se (google translate)

The new XC90 is the best ever in Euro NCAP crash test

Volvo has put a lot of time and money getting new XC90 is one of the world's safest cars. Latest Euro NCAP crash test is proof that Volvo's engineers have succeeded.

Like on Facebook for more videos!
When Volvo introduced the new XC90 was not only the new platform, the new powertrains and the brand new design which was the focus. Volvo also highlighted the security, a detail that has been a Volvo hallmark for many decades.
The new XC90 was noted at the premiere of the car which has a larger proportion of ultra high-strength, hot-tempered, press molded boron than any other car. Compared to ordinary steel material is six times stronger.

New shock-absorbing seats that will reduce the risk of back injury at avåkningar, improved rollover systems and automatic braking when a collision risk during the left turn is just some other solutions, Volvo has focused on to make the new XC90 - as they themselves put it - one of the world's safest cars.

Volvo XC90 2015 Euro NCAP crash test front

After a year of waiting has finally crash test organization Euro NCAP tested the new Volvo XC90 - and it turns out that Volvo has been worthwhile. The car reached namely up to the best rating ever recorded by Euro NCAP.

Five stars out of five, the total grade. In this subsection adult protection received new XC90 is 37 points, which grade a rating of 97 out of 100. Higher than any other crash-tested car the last two years (actually, you can not compare the two years together as Euro NCAP superstitious test gets tougher and tougher every year ).
The crash test was discovered that the side impact curtains did not perform as intended. An interior panel was the cause. Volvo has already announced a recall of the new XC90 for action and the production line is the action already implemented. Volvo's solution to the problem is the Euro NCAP satisfied.

Volvo XC90 2015 Euro NCAP crash test side

In the collision protection of children reached new XC90 up to 87 points and in pedestrian protection, it was 72 points out of 100 possible. The latter deduction was made especially for the bumper's lower protection against the pedestrian area around the creek.
Euro NCAP also mentions that Volvo auto brake function to avoid collisions with pedestrians and cyclists performs as well as other cars, but they are not until next year to start measuring this type of system.

Volvo XC90 2015 Euro NCAP crash test Back

In passive and active driver assistance systems, the XC90 received full marks - 100 out of 100 possible points - when it's packed with technology and systems that will make driving easier and mitigating circumstances of the accidents. It is the first time a car reaches the score.

In the same crash test round that the new Volvo XC90 included eight cars, including a tough competitor to the Swedish SUV, namely the new Audi Q7. Audi's new storsuv impressed as well in crash tests, but did not reach quite the same points as the Volvo. But the highest rating of five stars, it was no problem after scoring the dividend 94 in adult protection, 88 of child protection, pedestrian protection and 70 of 76 in driver assistance systems.

Read also: Testing the new Audi Q7 against the new Volvo XC90

Audi Q7 2015 Euro NCAP crash test

All crash-tested cars in this round and the respective car's rating (click on each car for in-depth consideration by Euro NCAP):

Audi Q7, 5 stars
Ford Galaxy, 5 stars
Ford S-Max, 5 stars
Mazda CX-3, 4 stars
Mitsubishi L200, 4 stars
Renault Kadjar, 5 stars
Toyota Avensis 5 stars
Volkswagen Touran, 5 stars
Volvo XC90 5 stars
Five stars to seven of nine cars. Only Mazda CX-3 and Mitsubishi L200 missed full star dividend with its four stars each.

Below you can see all the above by Euro NCAP crash tested cars (not the S-Max) movies.

Footnote: Volvo V40 with a total of 361 points (98, 75, 88, 100) reached a higher dividend than the new XC90 (356), but it was in 2012 and since then the Euro NCAP crash test methods become tougher and this year's scores ranked therefore higher.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
I'm curious who's 2nd best lol Is there a list that shows the rest of the results?

·
Registered
71 Posts
2) for the side impact with the beam, why was the car slanted?
The test is different for 2015/now, so the car is supposed to be slanted. Apparently makes the test harder to pass/makes it a tougher test. The XC90 and the Q7 are the first to be tested like this (of the SUVs)

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
It's clear in the side pole impact the XC90 way outperformed the Q7 from a structure standpoint....the front windshield barely even breaks in the Volvo, while the Audi is has an enormous amount of A pillar deformation that shatters the glass. The Q7 may have protected the occupants well in this crash, but the structure was rapidly collapsing (unlike the Volvo). While it's only speculation, I think it's logic that if the speed of the pole impact were increased the Volvo would significantly outperform the Audi....visually the structure was much, much sturdier. I wish some how there were comments made on when a structure protects the occupants but has reached it's "maximum ability" and was "maxed out". I've seen a lot of 5 star cars that have crumpled like a tin can...a higher speed and they would have had poor results. Clearly the Q7 is very safe, but I'm still gonna place my bet on the Volvo for a "worst case scenario" accident and higher speeds.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
I've seen a lot of 5 star cars that have crumpled like a tin can...a higher speed and they would have had poor results. Clearly the Q7 is very safe, but I'm still gonna place my bet on the Volvo for a "worst case scenario" accident and higher speeds.
I would entrust my family's life (and mine, which I do daily and to the tune of 30,000 miles per year) in a Volvo. No seconds thoughts, whatsoever. Even though I work for the brand, I believe that through my numerous exposure to some of the most horrific accident pictures and data I have ever seen, I can claim this without any hint of personal bias. These cars will protect you and your family up to the point where the laws of physics cannot be defeated.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts