SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.autonews.com/article/201...dropping-the-spare-tire-is-a-great-idea-until

The most interesting quote I thought from the article:

After nixing the spare on all 2011 Cruze trim levels, it decided to add it back the following model year because customers were asking for it over the repair kit, Chevy spokeswoman Annalisa Bluhm said.
I do find it hard to believe that a spare could affect up to 1mpg. I just can't believe that. Maybe on a car that weights 1000lbs, but not 4000+ vehicles.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
The article states that deleting the spare saves "at most" 1 MPG. I take that to mean the speaker was approximating and really intended to say that it dropping the spare really does not save much.

Of course, as the economy standards get tougher (and people still want cars that feel solid and pass impact tests) any weight savings is a big help.

Don't forget that deleting the spare tire allows for less metal (less weight) in the floor of the trunk. A flatter floor is lighter than one with a big bowl in the middle.

Having said that, I bought the donut spare for my car as I drive a lot in areas without cell coverage. And I know how to change a tire.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts