SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted up a week or so ago about getting a knocking noise in the front end. I thought it was the suspension, as dd the dealer when I was telling them what it sounded like. they took it out for a test ride. The verdict came back that it was an "axle ping." Said it is a common problem in the R and the XC90. What was supposed to be a day trip to the shop, turned into i having to stay there till Friday. They said they will have the part tomorrow but the car has to sit at least 6 hours after they are done until they can move it again.

Hopefully all is well after my girl's first surgery.

·
Super Moderator
14,839 Posts
Re: Dropped her off today... (Helmut Ranff)

Be prepared to have this issue more.

I had this issue with my T5 and MagoonR has this issue ongoing with his 2004 R. It is almost like a clicking when you first take off. The "repair" procedure is nothing more than an epoxy coat that the dealer applies. I had mine fixed and about a week later the axle started clicking again.

Haven't noticed it in my R yet.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They said it was parts that had to be ordered in. I'm sure if they were just going to Loctite it or ad adhesive, then I would have it back sooner.

IF it does do it again, it will be back immediately.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Re: Dropped her off today... (Cementups)

My dealer kept my car for another night while a part is shipped in. I have the same problem you reported with my suspension and they keep trying to tell me it's normal. I think it's time for me to find another dealer!!! Somehow, I hope to get this fixed. It's very annoying.

- Tryg

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Re: Dropped her off today... (RainyS60R)

Quote, originally posted by RainyS60R »
My dealer kept my car for another night while a part is shipped in. I have the same problem you reported with my suspension and they keep trying to tell me it's normal. I think it's time for me to find another dealer!!! Somehow, I hope to get this fixed. It's very annoying.

- Tryg

I have the same issue. 2 different dealerships have both told me this, and the sound keeps getting worse. It's starting to get very disconcerting.

Let us know if they just put the coating on or if they swap the parts out, and how long the fix lasts. Best of luck!

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Re: Dropped her off today... (Vipergtsz3)

Quote, originally posted by Vipergtsz3 »

I have the same issue. 2 different dealerships have both told me this, and the sound keeps getting worse. It's starting to get very disconcerting.

Let us know if they just put the coating on or if they swap the parts out, and how long the fix lasts. Best of luck!

I second that request......unfortunately.

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
Re: Dropped her off today... (MagoonR)

The axle ping is a common issue and it will never be completely solved.
What I don't understand is why a part is needed unless they want to change the bolt.
Normally glue will solve the problem for some time, it will come back eventually.
When driven to long with the ping a new wheel bearing is needed because the spline inside the bearing will wear out. The driveshaft itself appears to be a bit stronger.

Other sources for noise are the sway bar links and the front A-arm bushing.
The A-arm bushing received an update somewhere during MY2005.

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Re: Dropped her off today... (Johann)

Quote, originally posted by Johann »
The axle ping is a common issue and it will never be completely solved.

What I don't understand is why a part is needed unless they want to change the bolt.

Perhaps your dealer is replacing the hubs as well? I fought for this fix and it still didn't last....even with a second loctite application.

Normally glue will solve the problem for some time, it will come back eventually.

Amen.....unfortunately.

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Re: Dropped her off today... (pie_ya)

Quote, originally posted by pie_ya »
Some also stated that the glue needed to dry/cure for about 8 hours before driving the car.

Maybe that is why the fix doesn't partially work?

Been there......done that.

Take a picture....it lasts longer.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Re: Dropped her off today... (MagoonR)

My "ping" fix took 2 tries as well and <knocking on wood> they have been quiet for the last 5,000+ miles.

The last attempt was the replacement of the sems screws in conjunction with the loctite. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They called me today and said they were done with the fix but it would have to sit overnight. I'm sure they will test drive it before I pick it up to make sure it's all good. I'm going to ask what all was done though to make the "fix". I really don't want to be hassled with multiple trips to the dealer. And I really don't want this problem to deter me from taking some trrack time in the near future in fear of my cr falling apart.

I'll update once I pick it up Friday night or Saturday morning. All depends on when I an get out of work tomorrow to see if i can get it or not. Dealer closses at 6pm on Fridays I don'tusualy get off till after that.

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Re: (Cementups)

Quote, originally posted by Cementups »
They called me today and said they were done with the fix but it would have to sit overnight.

Sounds like loctite possibly in conjunction with something else (ie. ordered parts).

I'm going to ask what all was done though to make the "fix". I'll update once I pick it up Friday night or Saturday morning.

Thanks again for the assistance. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Picked it up this morning. So far things seem to be good. Dealer told me that they have fixed this problem before and have never had any of them come back. Hopfully this is my case as well.

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Re: (Cementups)

Picked it up this morning. So far things seem to be good. Dealer told me that they have fixed this problem before and have never had any of them come back. Hopfully this is my case as well.

But what did he do? Just loctite? Please tell or IM.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: (MagoonR)

The service note says they applied a "metal adhesive". The service manager told me the same and they they took the axle assembly apart and cleaned it and applied said adhesive. The car then sat overnight before I picked it up so the adhesive could cure.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts