SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The family and I will be doing OSD of a XC90 in March 2016. We don't plan to do much traveling in the XC90, probably just a day trip from Gothenburg before dropping her back off in Gothenburg for shipment. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the fuel level at drop off is required to be at a minima level. Is this correct? If there is excess fuel in the tank, do they siphon it out prior to shipment?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I did an OSD in August of this year. I only used my XC90 for 2 days and did not use that much fuel. No one at the Volvo center ever told me to bring the car back with minimal fuel, and I did not. They have to do other things to prepare the car for shipping, which might require them to empty the tank, but they will take care of this for you.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
I did an OSD in August of this year. I only used my XC90 for 2 days and did not use that much fuel. No one at the Volvo center ever told me to bring the car back with minimal fuel, and I did not. They have to do other things to prepare the car for shipping, which might require them to empty the tank, but they will take care of this for you.
That was my experience as well......

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
My first OSD in 2007 I brought to the Amsterdam drop off location full - and it arrived that way. Expensive high test European gas. :)

My second OSD in 2012 I brought back to the FDC full - and it also arrived in the US that way. In both cases I don't recall reading or being told to bring it back low on fuel.

I had a reservation to drop off the upcoming OSD vehicle with the handling agent in Munich - and I was told to bring it back low on fuel.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good to know, thanks guys. Just curious though, do they actually siphon/drain excess fuel at the drop off port before loading on a vessel? Or do OSD vehicles arrive in the states with the close to the same fuel level at drop off? I don't want to waste fuel needlessly if I can avoid it...

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Good to know, thanks guys. Just curious though, do they actually siphon/drain excess fuel at the drop off port before loading on a vessel? Or do OSD vehicles arrive in the states with the close to the same fuel level at drop off? I don't want to waste fuel needlessly if I can avoid it...
I will be delivering a Volvo Overseas Delivery car on Friday that arrived in California with the fuel tank showing 1/2. My customers drove their new Volvo over three thousand miles in Europe.

Their fuel tank is now full... half European fuel and half American fuel : )

As Bob has stated. Don't worry about the fuel. However do take your personal stuff out of your car before drop off and have a fantastic vacation!

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
and I was told to bring it back low on fuel.
The primary reason why the request "bring it back low on fuel" is the shipping company does not want 2,500 cars fully fueled and stored in closed confines, inside the vessel. You can imagine why. If you have 1/2 tank, no big deal.

As both William and Bob wrote, don't worry about it, take all your personal stuff with you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
We took out trip in August. Our sales rep told us to make sure we didn't refuel before dropping off because all gas, oil, fluids, etc. have to be drained before shipment because of weight. She said the dealership takes care of refilling all of it here in the states.

·
Registered
170 Posts
As both William and Bob wrote, don't worry about it, take all your personal stuff with you.
Since this was pointed out several times, I'm curious as to what is considered as personal stuff. Is it okay to leave accessories that you've purchased at the factory store in the car? For instance, if you buy a car box at the factory, can you leave it inside the car? Do they allow you to leave it mounted onto the roof? Or is it shipped as a separate item? What about other things like seat covers?

·
Premium Member
12,052 Posts
Since this was pointed out several times, I'm curious as to what is considered as personal stuff. Is it okay to leave accessories that you've purchased at the factory store in the car? For instance, if you buy a car box at the factory, can you leave it inside the car? Do they allow you to leave it mounted onto the roof? Or is it shipped as a separate item? What about other things like seat covers?
Items purchased at the delivery are ok to leave....just nothing else

1 - 11 of 11 Posts