SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to turn off the daytime running lights on my 08 S40, but so far haven't had any luck. I was told that a dealer had to do a reflash or software upgrade to get it done, but I took it to one dealer that said they had nothing for me. No way to turn them off. Anybody had this issue and have a workaround for it?

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
They're lying to you...

·
Super Moderator
15,191 Posts
Most dealers don't know how to do it. Give them the SW code and then ask for a discount for their lack of ability to figure it out.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You guys rock. I'll take it over with that SW code and get it done.....

·
Super Moderator
15,191 Posts
You guys rock. I'll take it over with that SW code and get it done.....
May I ask which dealership you're going to?

I went to North Point and they spent over an hour with my car and said they'd have to wait for their other lead tech to come in the next week. They were looking for a mechanical thing to switch.

I gave them the SW code and they ran it, found that I was right, and had it loaded on the car 5 minutes.
The point I'm getting at, North Point should at least know what to do, I'd be disappointed if they don't...

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Don't let them charge you for more than half an hour (usually the minimum labor charge) given it takes less than 10 minutes!

·
Registered
9,124 Posts
It takes 10 minutes to pull the car in, hook up the trickle charger, and do the SW. Like mentioned make them stick to a maximum of a half hour labor or less.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Can I ask why??? I run with headlights and taillights on, full brightness, day or night, summer or winter. 24-7. It's easier to be seen, hence to keep from being hit. Ever notice when the sun is glaring, and cars in the shade of trees are hardly visible at a glance? (usually all you have time for is a glance while driving) The cars with DRLs or headlights are immediately noticeable. That MATTERS. especially with silver cars, which blend in with the pavement.

Just start noticing when driving around which cars you notice first: cars with lights on or not.

I'll keep my lights on, thanks.

·
Super Moderator
15,191 Posts
I've noticed other cars with and without DRLs long before I had mine done, but it's not a law in the US to have DRLs.

When you have $150 bulbs, you don't want them on all the time. Especially when you're mostly driving during the day.

Also, just from experience, cars with whiter or bluer headlights are a bigger target for cops than cars with soft halogens. Audis get pulled over all the time for their new LEDs because they capture attention faster.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Can I ask why??? I run with headlights and taillights on, full brightness, day or night, summer or winter. 24-7. It's easier to be seen, hence to keep from being hit. Ever notice when the sun is glaring, and cars in the shade of trees are hardly visible at a glance? (usually all you have time for is a glance while driving) The cars with DRLs or headlights are immediately noticeable. That MATTERS. especially with silver cars, which blend in with the pavement.

Just start noticing when driving around which cars you notice first: cars with lights on or not.

the point to getting the DRl's disabled is so we can run hid bulbs, to see more at night and be seen during the day. disabling the DRL's needs to be done so you dont potentially blow the wiper motor ( a common issue) when installing hid kits

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Interesting... Well I thought it was just to get rid of the geeky DRLs. Is that for the factory HIDs, retrofitted, or aftermarket systems?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
factory there is not an issue, the issue lays in the halogen DRL as it regulates the voltage with the light sensor. the PWM (pulse wave modulation, think that's right) sends a fluttered electrical pulse rather than a smooth flow creating the wiper motor to blow... don't ask how because i couldn't begin to tell you lol. its well documented tho.

so to clearly answer the question, for retrofitted and aftermarket set ups. although retrofitted generally refers to just the projectors themselves

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I called Northpoint, as that's where I had my last Volvo serviced, but they wanted a full hour labor. Took it to Nalley, who told me they'd just charge me however much time it took. Should have stuck with Northpoint. May also take it to Dyer. I'm kind of in between (I miss Gwinnett Place Volvo).

I want to turn them off because of the HIDs. I may leave the switch in the ON position after I get them, but that low current draw is hell on HIDs.....

·
Super Moderator
15,191 Posts
My dad used to work at North Point, and so they got me a decent deal on both of my cars. That's why my allegiance is there. I did get charged for an hour of work (-$20 because I had a coupon), but I accepted that as they did technically "work" on my car for over an hour just trying to figure it out. Then they had to humbly admit their fault. I've also had my entire fuel pump/sensor/gas cap/what-not replaced for free because of their own misdiagnosis on an emissions leak. So I'm not complaining, but it may just be because I'm personal friends with the top boss.

I have stopped in at Nalley to pick up parts (because it's 5 minutes from SPSU), they're very helpful there.

The only time I've been to Dyer & Dyer has been for the last annual meet. The people there seemed really nice, but both North Point and Nalley are closer...

I guess I haven't really had any terrible experiences at any of the GA Volvo dealerships, other than the fact that they are all stealerships and SwedeSpeed seems to have provided me with more knowledge than the techs and salemen at North Point (upon numerous visits).

Since your in Atlanta, I highly recommend checking out VoluParts for any parts you need in the future. The fact that you can pick it up and not worry about shipping makes the cost of most stock parts cheaper than ViVA for me.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Sort of 'loving' the LED DRLs fitted to the new V50 (replacing the fog lights) - They are much 'brighter' than the headlights in daytime - was told by my brother during our holiday in the far north of Scotland that the local police had been ticketing drivers who had fog lights on all the time. I was soooooo hoping for some 'still-wet-behind-the ears' deputy to pull me over!...

·
Registered
2,167 Posts

I love the charisma. See here http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?125561 if you're actually curious. BTW, with or without DRLs, you can still drive around in "on" position to active the visibility you mention.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts