SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, I have a 16 momentum US market that in order to have the DRL on (thor Hammer) stalk must be on auto position, Is there any way to reprogram to always on? like the overseas versions? I do have access to VIDA and car is not currently on the roads of USA.

also I get the speed limit warning on the dashboard, is there anyway to remove this from the display? i dont have any RSI or other settings currently checked.

thanks

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
I believe the answer is yes. I looked up some of the information in the manual. However it is extensive so I did not want to copy. Go to your manual and you will find these two topics. Hope that helps.

Activating/deactivating the speed warning
function
The driver can be alerted if the current speed
limit is being exceeded (the symbol for the current
speed limit will begin to flash). This function
can be activated or deactivated and the limit for a
warning can be set.
1. Tap
Settings in the center display's Top
view.
2. Tap
My Car IntelliSafe Road Sign
Information
3. Tap
Speed Limit Warning to activate/deactivate
this function.
> If the function is activated, a speed selector
will be displayed.
4. Select the limit at which the speed warning is
to be given by pressing the up/down arrows.
Please be aware that the set warning limit
will not be used when a speed camera symbol
is displayed in the instrument panel.
Activating/deactivating the audible alert
The audible alert can be activated/deactivated
and the limit for a warning can be set.
1. Tap
Settings in the center display's Top
view.
2. Tap
My Car IntelliSafe Road Sign
Information
3. Tap
Audio Warning to activate/deactivate
this function.

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
Why not leave the headlight at auto? I never need to set it manually.

I don't have quick answer. online PDF manual can be downloaded and easy to search.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why not leave the headlight at auto? I never need to set it manually.

I don't have quick answer. online PDF manual can be downloaded and easy to search.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
I have them in auto, but I dont like the fact that in order to have the DRL on you must have them in auto and the rear lights come on too.

I would like to have them like the EU or Canada version that the DRL turns on only

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I have them in auto, but I dont like the fact that in order to have the DRL on you must have them in auto and the rear lights come on too.

I would like to have them like the EU or Canada version that the DRL turns on only
Why is having no rear DRL this important to you? It’s not like you can see them when you are driving and there’s no bulbs to burn out.

·
Registered
147 Posts
My Canadian spec 2019 XC60 has the rear lights on in Off, parking lights and in every other position. In Auto the rear lights are on even when the headlights are off...obviously as Auto defaults to DRLs on. The manual was unclear so I had my wife stand outside and check. So the lights are programmed properly.

DRLs should really have both front and rear on, if for no better reason than the idiots who drive in daytime snowstorms with no lights on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
In Belgium, The Netherlands, Germany, Denmark and probably most all countries of the EU,
the XC90's rear lights "behave" as described above by timlocke. I also like it that way.
But I don't see many cars that have rear lights on when DRLs are on, Volvo may be the exeption.

·
Registered
26 Posts
MY16, Canada here.

Rear lights are on in Auto position, like timlocke states. They're on with DRLs. There is no way to get DRL only.

In Belgium, The Netherlands, Germany, Denmark and probably most all countries of the EU,
the XC90's rear lights "behave" as described above by timlocke. I also like it that way.
But I don't see many cars that have rear lights on when DRLs are on, Volvo may be the exeption.
You are correct, Volvo appears to be an outlier. In Canada, most cars rear lights don't turn on with the stalk in the "off" position (So, DRL only). This is why you see people at night with no rear tail lights on, as they have only their DRL activated (headlight stalk off position).

Effective 2021, all cars sold in Canada will have to have an auto headlight function as well as rear lights that come on with DRL, which is how it should be. The same reason you need DRL is the same reason you need rear lights in the daytime. Seems like Volvo is ahead of the curve :thumbup:

·
Registered
147 Posts
As I understand it the Detroit 3 did not want tail lights on all the time as they complained the bulbs would burn out. Transport Canada should have told them to STFU and use better bulbs.

Honda CIVICS of some years are the worst. They use headlights on low beam as DRLs, no taillights and the gauges are so bright that people think they have the lights on properly.

My Q5 with the aftermarket VCDS software one could and I did, turn on the rear lights with DRLs by changing a 2 bit field from 00 to 10 to get ‘Swedish’ setting.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Honda CIVICS of some years are the worst. They use headlights on low beam as DRLs, no taillights and the gauges are so bright that people think they have the lights on properly.
I see a lot of people on the freeway at night with their rear lights off. The DRLs and the dash is illuminated, tricking them into thinking everything is fine... except they are almost invisible from behind! They are a danger to themselves and others. A few times, I tried to signal a car like that by flashing my lights or actually turning them off for a second but these drivers seem oblivious.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The rear lights do not illuminate until the headlights turn on when using the auto setting, only DRL are on during the daytime

anyway, in VIDA I would imagine you would have to change the country the the vehicle is operated in if possible

incorrect, rear lights come on along with license plate lights.. I do not live in USA so i can use the DRL only with no rear light on, just like canada version or europe

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The europe version when stalk in off position DRL comes on without rear lights, In US version in order to have the DRL you must set the stalk to auto position and this brings the rear lights on too on daylight..

since I dont live in USA i would like to have only the DRL could be on the auto or off position just like the EU version.. this must be possible with VIDA

·
Registered
162 Posts
View attachment 54209

I have never seen a SPA vehicle driving around the US with the tail lights on without the headlights being on. In US, Off = nothing on, Auto = DLR only activate Thor's Hammer during the day, Head lights and tail lights come on when dark

Your car may have the incorrect home country set, take it to a dealer

·
Registered
147 Posts
Bryan. Reading the 2019 XC60 full manual it certainly looks as if US spec cars do NOT have the rear lights on without the headlights unless the light switch is in the parking light position. Canadian cars are set differently to be in the EU mode.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
for some reason my US 16 model when i have the stalk in auto DRL comes on along with rear tail lights and license plate lights..

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Hello guys, I have a 16 momentum US market that in order to have the DRL on (thor Hammer) stalk must be on auto position, Is there any way to reprogram to always on? like the overseas versions? I do have access to VIDA and car is not currently on the roads of USA.

also I get the speed limit warning on the dashboard, is there anyway to remove this from the display? i dont have any RSI or other settings currently checked.

thanks
Those are Sensus settings - look in your owner’s manual or explore the settings either in Vehicle Settings (bottom choice) or the top one. I forget where they are - I’d have to pull them up on our T8 to find them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I did notice Speed limit display comes and go, today it disappeared, prolly for a week or so then comes back..

are your rear lights on when in auto!?

Those are Sensus settings - look in your owner’s manual or explore the settings either in Vehicle Settings (bottom choice) or the top one. I forget where they are - I’d have to pull them up on our T8 to find them.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Yes! That’s one of the things that drives me nuts about other car manufacturers, especially Japanese and American makes that have DRL and/or auto lights but fail to have rear lights on for safety given that drivers become unaware or complacent that their lights are on in the evening or night and not their taillights.
I did notice Speed limit display comes and go, today it disappeared, prolly for a week or so then comes back..

are your rear lights on when in auto!?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts