SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I need to clarify something about DRLs on my car.
I noticed that they were not on. Read the manual several times, and as far as I understand DRL should be on in every position the light switch is on (OFF, PARKING LIGHTS, AUTO, HIGH)

First i thought that perhaps I need to be driving, or have a car in D, at least, for DRLs to work. When that didnt materialize, I thought that they are most likely disabled in Sensus, since we should be able to do it in US spec'd car.
Well, I spent about an hr this weekend going through Sensus, with Owner's manual in hands, but the option to disable/enable DRLs is NOT there. I am pretty sure that I have the latest sensus version, as I have trip stats screen and car was build only in August. Dealer also assured me that anything that needed to be updated, was updated at the port (mid September).

Am I missing something? It doesnt bother me too much, but I like when everything works as it should. I now keep light switch in AUTO position, but I think it is too sensitive, and turns on low beams a lot sooner than I would have turned them on myself.

Appreciate any insight.

TIA :confused:

·
Registered
558 Posts
Hi everyone,

I need to clarify something about DRLs on my car.
I noticed that they were not on. Read the manual several times, and as far as I understand DRL should be on in every position the light switch is on (OFF, PARKING LIGHTS, AUTO, HIGH)

First i thought that perhaps I need to be driving, or have a car in D, at least, for DRLs to work. When that didnt materialize, I thought that they are most likely disabled in Sensus, since we should be able to do it in US spec'd car.
Well, I spent about an hr this weekend going through Sensus, with Owner's manual in hands, but the option to disable/enable DRLs is NOT there. I am pretty sure that I have the latest sensus version, as I have trip stats screen and car was build only in August. Dealer also assured me that anything that needed to be updated, was updated at the port (mid September).

Am I missing something? It doesnt bother me too much, but I like when everything works as it should. I now keep light switch in AUTO position, but I think it is too sensitive, and turns on low beams a lot sooner than I would have turned them on myself.

Appreciate any insight.

TIA :confused:
Your DRL are your HID headlights. The "0" position is DRL off. Next possition is the parking/marker lights. Next is "auto" which is your headlights on and gives you control of your high beam.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your DRL are your HID headlights. The "0" position is DRL off. Next possition is the parking/marker lights. Next is "auto" which is your headlights on and gives you control of your high beam.
Originally. I thought so too. However, this is directly from Owner's Manual:

0: Daytime running lights/high beams/high beam flash

Any ideas why I dont see the option to activate/deactivate it in Sensus?

·
Registered
558 Posts
That option is not there :(
The 2013 cars do not have the DRL option in settings. That is why the "0" position is DRL off.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 2013 cars do not have the DRL option in settings. That is why the "0" position is DRL off.
So basically that means that 2013MY does not have DRL, Since even in Auto position I do not have any lights on (until it starts getting darker and Low beams come on)
Is this the case of Owner's manual not being updated in time for production? I wonder if I need to take it to a dealer.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You may want to contact the dealer. The DRL menu option missing is a known issue. I'm having the same problem on a XC70. I pulled the information below from the Volvo technical website but wasn't paying $6 to read it. After spending a small fortune, I'll let the dealer do it

Menu Item for Turning Off DRL Missing in ICM
Item: TJ27007-2012-11-07

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sorry for reviving an old thread, but after buying our '13 recently we've run into this issue with our XC60. The owner's manual clearly states that the DRL option should be present in the MY CAR menu, but it doesn't appear there. First visit to dealer: "This car doesn't have that option, turn the knob to "0" to turn off lights." Second visit to dealer, after informing them of the service bulletin for this very issue (TJ-27007): "We applied the software update, thanks for bringing it by" followed by "We'll open a technical issue and get some info. from HQ" after I showed them that AFTER the update the option still wasn't present. Third visit to dealer (for an unrelated issue): "We followed up on the DRL option and were told that it is not available for your vehicle. Sorry, but sometimes the manuals are more generic than they should be."

I've got an R-Design with the top trim level and supposed "Auto" headlights, but now I'm being told that there is no way to turn off the DRL to actually put the auto setting to use? Does anybody else have any info. on this specifically for the XC60 or has anybody else had this experience? I know that the resolution (software update) has worked for other Volvo models, but why not the XC60?

·
Registered
198 Posts
I too have noticed this. As with ohdannyboy, my '13 RD has no DRL's and I also do not recall it being in MYCAR settings. When I first purchased the car, I assumed it would be much like my R. To my surprise, turning the knob from 0 to AUTO etc, there is no physical change in the lighting other than low beams turn off. I thought to myself, maybe the 2 LED strips are the DRL's...not. Any one have any info on this would be appreciated.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I too have noticed this. As with ohdannyboy, my '13 RD has no DRL's and I also do not recall it being in MYCAR settings. When I first purchased the car, I assumed it would be much like my R. To my surprise, turning the knob from 0 to AUTO etc, there is no physical change in the lighting other than low beams turn off. I thought to myself, maybe the 2 LED strips are the DRL's...not. Any one have any info on this would be appreciated.
I think your issue is different than mine.. my DRLs are ALWAYS on, in any light setting other than "0". I would like to turn the DRLs OFF in the Auto setting. Do you have the setting MY CAR -> Setting -> Light Settings -> Daytime running lights? If not, mention Tech Journal 27007 to your dealer and see what response you get.

·
Registered
123 Posts
This has been discussed on our S60 forum. I've had a similar issue w/ my '13 S60 -- DLR setting missing from the setteings menu. Take it to a dealership an have them do a software update.

Service Bulletin No.: TJ-27007
NHTSA ID Number: 10047940
Component(s): EQUIPMENT , EXTERIOR LIGHTING

SUMMARY:
VOLVO: IN THE ICM, MENU ITEM IS MISSING FOR TURNING OFF DRL. MODEL 2013 S80, S60, XC70, XC60. *PE

·
Registered
26 Posts
This has been discussed on our S60 forum. I've had a similar issue w/ my '13 S60 -- DLR setting missing from the setteings menu. Take it to a dealership an have them do a software update.
I've done this, and the update was (supposedly) applied. After the software update, the DRL option still doesn't appear in my menu. I've called Volvo NA Cust. Service, who apparently got their tech folks on the phone with the local dealership. I've got an appointment to bring the XC60 in for them to take a look/try soemthing early next week, so we'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Update: After Volvo NA got directly in touch my my servicing dealer, the car was brought in to have the software update performed yet again. This time, the tech doing the work was instructed by the tech line on exactly what to do and, not surprisingly I suppose, this time the update was successful and the option to disable the DRL now appears in the menu.

I guess it may take a while for me to get to a point where I trust this dealer, even with warranty work. With any luck, the amount of warranty work required in the future will be low.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts