SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Good review. What all reviewers seem to miss is how does a car feel after a 2 our 3 hour drive. Maybe I’m the only on that cares about that, but I don’t think so.

The open-ness of the cabin and the quality of the seats makes a longer drive much more pleasant than in my BMW and other cars I’ve owned. Also, the stock HK system in the Inscription model is much better than the stock systems in the competitors equivalently priced cars. Both of those factors set the car apart, imo.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He was driving a R-Design with the $3000 B&W sound system and didn't mention anything about it
Yeah in a 10 min review you can only focus on so much stuff. I tend to like the reviewers that focus on the drive experience since that's #1 for me and Ryan usually does.

Most of the more traditional reviews seem to just mention "the booming/fantastic stereo" as if they just looked at the price and phoned in the obligatory cliche. I miss when Edmunds used to not suck and had specific stereo reviews.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Yeah in a 10 min review you can only focus on so much stuff. I tend to like the reviewers that focus on the drive experience since that's #1 for me and Ryan usually does.

Most of the more traditional reviews seem to just mention "the booming/fantastic stereo" as if they just looked at the price and phoned in the obligatory cliche. I miss when Edmunds used to not suck and had specific stereo reviews.
I didn't get the B&W upgrade as I couldn't find any decent online review of the audio setup. I wish someone at What HiFi or other audiophile magazine had a writeup. I'm quite happy with my HK though

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn't get the B&W upgrade as I couldn't find any decent online review of the audio setup. I wish someone at What HiFi or other audiophile magazine had a writeup. I'm quite happy with my HK though
I didn't get it either, it was out of my price range so easy choice. I needed to live with the H/K and its just fine. I only listened briefly to the B&W at the dealer though I did pair my phone and try out a playlist I set up in Spotify for stereo testing new cars. You have to use songs you are familiar with and have heard on a lot of different audio systems. IMO it didn't add anything to the music I listen to. The range and capability of the two systems seem comparable, you are basically dealing with the exact same speaker sizes and placement between the two systems so the dynamic range unsurprisingly did not seem much different between the two. I'm sure there is value there, but I would have needed more time with the system, and I didn't bother since it was not a consideration for me.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
How the *snort* did I not find that article? I think I was searching for V60/S60 B&W
Arggg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
The new upgraded HK system is very good indeed.........but its not the B&W system.

I have both and enjoy both car’s audio systems. But I LOVE the B&W system.......

·
Registered
45 Posts
The new upgraded HK system is very good indeed.........but its not the B&W system.

I have both and enjoy both car’s audio systems. But I LOVE the B&W system.......

I would've loved the B&W system, but driving 5k miles/year and mostly listening to sports or sports talk radio, I couldn't justify the price. Still, while I enjoy the HK, I would've at least loved to to have tested the B&W system and have had those acoustic plugin options! What do you find is the biggest difference between both system's?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I would've loved the B&W system, but driving 5k miles/year and mostly listening to sports or sports talk radio, I couldn't justify the price. Still, while I enjoy the HK, I would've at least loved to to have tested the B&W system and have had those acoustic plugin options! What do you find is the biggest difference between both system's?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I used to listen to talk radio a lot as well but when I got the XC with the B&W it sounded so good that I started listening to music much more. We drive on 3-5 hour trips at least once or twice a month and after a while “listeners fatigue” would always set in and I’d have to switch to NPR or something Ike that, not any more! I’ve found that I’m much happier not listening to the news, especially these days....

The B&W system is much lower distortion (no listeners fatigue), it stages the music much better and there much more “air” around the instruments. Vocals are richer and the bass extension is remarkable. Of course your source material matters, with compressed source material the differences are smaller but they are still there.

With all of that being said the new upgraded HK system is very good as well but having high quality source material is even more important there.

IMO the B&W is one of the best audio systems in the world, there is no shame in not being that good.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Since everyone is all hot and bothered by Consumer Reports, here's a new review of the S60 to sooth you. Ryan is a good guy, he does a nice job...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54gFg3ZKzxA
LOL "This touch-screen is much more responsive than early versions of it. So they've been making improvements along the way" (great to know. way to shaft early adopters and not offer a retrofit, Volvo. :mad: ). No mention of poor real-life fuel economy with the "wonderful supercharged T6 engine", or lack of AWD with T5.

There are very few balanced Volvo reviews out there - all of them are either too critical, or overly positive.

Good review. What all reviewers seem to miss is how does a car feel after a 2 our 3 hour drive. Maybe I’m the only on that cares about that, but I don’t think so.

The open-ness of the cabin and the quality of the seats makes a longer drive much more pleasant than in my BMW and other cars I’ve owned. Also, the stock HK system in the Inscription model is much better than the stock systems in the competitors equivalently priced cars. Both of those factors set the car apart, imo.....
Just curious - what BMW are you driving? Honestly I don't recall having any issues with BMW seat comfort in my prior 3-series (I owned 2006 and 2011 E90, both with sport seats). Multi-contour seats in 5 and 7 series are quite comfy and adjustable and consistently get rave reviews. And while it is true that base BMW audio system is absolute garbage, they do offer HK audio as a reasonably-priced upgrade, which is just fine. B&W system is also available in some models, but $$$

·
Registered
250 Posts
Since everyone is all hot and bothered by Consumer Reports, here's a new review of the S60 to sooth you. Ryan is a good guy, he does a nice job...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54gFg3ZKzxA
A couple issues with this review:

1) It was a EU spec car; the US spec has no HVAC zone in the rear nor a stitched dashboard.
2) Only a 6 second zero to sixty? (This car is much faster than that)
3) This vehicle (being the EU spec) would have the Sport Chassis standard; no mention of that? He has is isn't too firm?

Not sure why Volvo is having the media drive EU spec cars in the US??

·
Registered
121 Posts
A couple issues with this review:

1) It was a EU spec car; the US spec has no HVAC zone in the rear nor a stitched dashboard.
2) Only a 6 second zero to sixty? (This car is much faster than that)
3) This vehicle (being the EU spec) would have the Sport Chassis standard; no mention of that? He has is isn't too firm?

Not sure why Volvo is having the media drive EU spec cars in the US??
We all know why- They don't want them to see what US R-design cars drive like. The best suspension setup is saved for Europeans. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
250 Posts
It is a $200 option... It should be on all the R-Designs that Volvo loans to the press. And why not include the Polestar optimization on such vehicles as well?

Without the Sport Chassis, Polestar optimization and on the wrong tires, the R-Design is only good not great.

Volvo really blew it here; they could have won over a lot of BMW converts.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah seems all the press cars were the EU spec. I am guessing due to that the reviewer might not even be informed of the optional sport chassis. Also looks like he's just counting time by the speedometer there on 0-60, understandable given no testing instruments or controlled environment to test with, wind correction, both ways, weather correction etc. Many magazines are adding fake "rollout" to simulate a drag strip to be consistent with times measured at real drag strip which slightly lowers the times over the actual.

Ryan started out a Subaru guy I believe, so his opinion of what is soft and firm for suspension will tend toward a performance enthusiast. Very in line with my tastes. I really pushed the S60 around the 95 to Rte3 ramp today heading to NH, its bumpy on the outside lane but the sport chassis was not upset at all, great wheel control and no bouncing. The limits are high enough you don't get that big scrub understeer feeling.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Almost every US journalist review I’ve seen has that same red euro spec S60 r design. They all comment on how the R design comes with a sports suspension....so much misinformation. Really though, what the hell was volvo thinking ???

I took my R design with the 19” Pirelli’s to the limit today around some local North Carolina backroads...I must admit, even without the sports chassis, I was really pleasantly surprised how well it handles and grips. Almost zero body roll accelerating hard through sharp corners. It seems like it handles better when pushed to the limits.

I definitely feel a bit better after being screwed over by Volvo but man, I can only imagine how perfect this car must be with the sports chassis.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts