SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me or does everyone else with a V50 get crazy air buffeting anytime the windows are open going 60 kmh (40mph)? It doesn't seem to matter too much which windows, some or all, or partially open I get violent buffeting which makes the ride uncomfortable. Is there a trick that I am not aware of to reduce or eliminate the buffeting? Or is this just a common problem with most cars? I am coming from a Honda accord which had no buffeting up to about 100 kmh so it made driving within the city very enjoyable with the windows down.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Is it just me or does everyone else with a V50 get crazy air buffeting anytime the windows are open going 60 kmh (40mph)? It doesn't seem to matter too much which windows, some or all, or partially open I get violent buffeting which makes the ride uncomfortable. Is there a trick that I am not aware of to reduce or eliminate the buffeting? Or is this just a common problem with most cars? I am coming from a Honda accord which had no buffeting up to about 100 kmh so it made driving within the city very enjoyable with the windows down.
Do you refer to weird air turbulences making thud-thud-thud like sounds? If so, yes, I have it aswell. I noticed when I open any of rear windows when travelling with lower speeds (ie for doggo to catch some air) it starts fluttering terribly inside, like its creating a bass-type frequency making it indeed unbearable. I noticed however that opening a window diagonally to it (even by 2cm down) make the pressure equalise and its possible to drive like that no problem.
rarely drive with windows down though so I never paid much attention to it. Did you try window wind deflectors? I have feeling those might help

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you refer to weird air turbulences making thud-thud-thud like sounds? If so, yes, I have it aswell. I noticed when I open any of rear windows when travelling with lower speeds (ie for doggo to catch some air) it starts fluttering terribly inside, like its creating a bass-type frequency making it indeed unbearable. I noticed however that opening a window diagonally to it (even by 2cm down) make the pressure equalise and its possible to drive like that no problem.
rarely drive with windows down though so I never paid much attention to it. Did you try window wind deflectors? I have feeling those might help
That's exactly what I am talking about! Good, for a second I thought there was something strangely wrong with my ride. I find it weird that Volvo designed a car to be that unbearable with the windows down, but I guess aerodynamics and fuel efficiency is the priority!
I will try the diagonal and see if that helps me out. I haven't thought about the wind deflectors, is there anyone on the forum who has them and can confirm they help with the thudding? I am also gonna be on a long road trip next week so I'll be able to experiment with other window settings to see if I can reduce the buffeting further.

·
Registered
50 Posts
This is the coke bottle effect, the entire cabin becomes a Helmholtz resonator with an infrasonic resonant frequency from the large volume so it feels wub-wub-wub instead of making a nice glass bottle hoot hoot. It varies from car to car with the surface geometry and cabin volume and it tends to be stronger in cars with nice airtight cabins. Wind deflectors can keep the airflow from dancing just so over the cracked window in the mouth on a coke bottle fashion. You can also alleviate it by cracking additional windows and/or the sunroof to vent the trapped air volume. (I am an acoustic engineer and actually studied it in Gothenburg)

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
I've experienced it many times on rental cars from many manufacturers. My pet theory is that it's become common since the elimination of rain gutters in car designs, and that gutters went away with fuel economy requirements. I could go on...
My XC90 does it from the rear windows, but not the front.
By the way, I've a set of Thule locking gutter mount roof racks for sale. Well worn :)

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Even the S40's do this. I make sure I either have the sunroof lifted or a second window open an inch or so to prevent the buffeting. Don't even need to move the sunshield on it to prevent it so your head can stay dry too.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
My C30 will stew your brains with the windows down. V60 is just as bad. I like martensitic's "Helmholtz resonator with an infrasonic resonant frequency" effect, hehehehe....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts