SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone drive around with no power steering fluid? Will it ruin the pump or anything else?

I have a 2 hr drive that I don't really want to drive a rental for...

Thanks
Hugh

·
Registered
520 Posts
Yea you might want a rental. If the pump seizes bye bye belt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
852 Posts
Yea you might want a rental. If the pump seizes bye bye belt.

And if the belt shreds itself it may be bye bye timing belt if you’re unfortunate enough.

·
Registered
747 Posts
How bad is the leak? You can buy lots of cheap fluid and keep stopping to fill as you go along your trip.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts

What I did to my beater NA S70

·
Registered
327 Posts
And if the belt shreds itself it may be bye bye timing belt if you’re unfortunate enough.

Happened to me on my Audi, shredded accessory belt behind the timing belt cover and valves met the Pistons. :-/

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
236 Posts
Just think about the fact it's a hydraulic pump designed to run when full of a nice lubricating oil, now take away all the lubrication.
I assume you already made the decision and are either home safe or stuck blown by now......

I had a friend blow a radiator hose in the middle of nowhere 30 years ago, they took a look at how the hoses orientated to the airflow and just decided to drive 200 miles with the hoses completely off (death in the family so was at a much lower care factor than usual), Car was just fine afterwards (78 VW Passat)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts