SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So.... Help me decide. This might sound like a stupid question, but I'm debating on if I should run my winters to make the trip, and save my summer tires since I will be going to the Tail of the dragon in August.

17" winters (dunlop)
18" summers (hankook ventus v12 evo's)

I will also have many pics and videos from this trip - in the mountains! If any R owners want to meet up, send me a PM!

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Drive with your summer tires unless you plan on getting new snow tires next season. I can imagine the noise from the snows on that drive would get very annoying after several hours!

When are you coming to Boston?
Leaving this Wednesday, staying in millers falls (near greenfield) for a day or two then boston. I'll be there on the weekend for sure. The dunlops aren't noisy on the road really. They are also much more comfortable.. (keeping my mother in mind) They will probably be bald by the time I get home though.. lol

I'll just run the pegs I guess.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I wouldn't use the winter tires unless your going to be replacing them with new ones next winter season. Winter tires wear down a lot faster then all seasons. I would just use the all seasons if I were you. I have the same hankooks and after one season of using them they still look like new!

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Definitely don't run the winters. With the hot temps they will break down quickly. If you blow one out, your going to be replacing them on the road.

·
Registered
836 Posts
If you run the Dunlops, I've got four Winter Sports in the basement that I can sell you. I'm not far off I-80 if you're coming this way!

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Already down to 6.5 32's on the front tires.. Only had them for 3 months... 8 32's on the rears.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Definitely don't run the winters. With the hot temps they will break down quickly. If you blow one out, your going to be replacing them on the road.
+1 For safety consideration

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
+1 on running summer tires for the road trip. Chicago to Boston = ~2200 miles round trip in 90+ degree air temps (110+ degree surface temps) would shred winter tires a lot faster than the summer tires. Not to mention the tendency to drive gingerly on dry pavement with winter tires in effort to preserve them; whereas I'm sure you'll want to enjoy some spirited driving on the way to/from Boston. You won't want to do that on winter tires and your caR would handle a lot differently.

Also, in my opinion, using up treadlife of winter tires is more detrimental than using up treadlife on summer tires. I.e., treadwear on winter tires has more of a negative effect on winter traction than treadwear on a summer tire has negative effect on summer traction.

If your summer tires are that close to the end of their life, perhaps consider replacing them after your Boston trip and before your trip to Tail of the Dragon???

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
+1 on running summer tires for the road trip. Chicago to Boston = ~2200 miles round trip in 90+ degree air temps (110+ degree surface temps) would shred winter tires a lot faster than the summer tires. Not to mention the tendency to drive gingerly on dry pavement with winter tires in effort to preserve them; whereas I'm sure you'll want to enjoy some spirited driving on the way to/from Boston. You won't want to do that on winter tires and your caR would handle a lot differently.

Also, in my opinion, using up treadlife of winter tires is more detrimental than using up treadlife on summer tires. I.e., treadwear on winter tires has more of a negative effect on winter traction than treadwear on a summer tire has negative effect on summer traction.

If your summer tires are that close to the end of their life, perhaps consider replacing them after your Boston trip and before your trip to Tail of the Dragon???
Tires are only a few months old, but I'm going to run the summers... It was stupid to think about the winters lol

·
Registered
956 Posts
Tires are only a few months old, but I'm going to run the summers... It was stupid to think about the winters lol

naw you were just leaving yourself with options... its all good. I ran my winters out last summer before getting all Seasons last Fall.. the winters (michelins) held up well in the heat, highway and summer driving... but then when the fall rain started coming, it was definitely not safe anymore. Since I was already planning to replace them, I figured I would get my last dollar out of them.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, the winters still have about half their life left. I'll save them for one more season.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Boston is a great city :D, im only an hour away, have a safe trip

1 - 14 of 14 Posts