SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Speeding along today on the freeway, I felt my rear tire go flat, so I made it over into the inside hazard lane, which was a wide one fortunately:D I put the doughnut spare on and drove 20 miles home. Thing is, I need to drive 50 miles round trip on Friday and I remember reading tires that are not the same size can f#$k up the Haldex unit. So should I cancel my vet appt tomorrow and wait for Tire Rack to deliver me 4 new tires?
Thanks

·
Registered
125 Posts
Speeding along today on the freeway, I felt my rear tire go flat, so I made it over into the inside hazard lane, which was a wide one fortunately:D I put the doughnut spare on and drove 20 miles home. Thing is, I need to drive 50 miles round trip on Friday and I remember reading tires that are not the same size can f#$k up the Haldex unit. So should I cancel my vet appt tomorrow and wait for Tire Rack to deliver me 4 new tires?
Thanks
As far as I know they are the same size diameter, which is the most important thing. The spare is just 1/3 the normal width of original. Funny thing is im in the same boat...but i cracked a wheel

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
If I'm not mistaken the spare itself is full size if you are currently riding on 17's... The worst that could happen with prolonged use is uneven tire wear and/or a vibration due to different treads.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Oh and definitely do not pick the nostril that corresponds with the side of the car that your spare is on....it can be deadly. Similar to the Hoodblanket Removal and Airbox lid removal...

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Luckily it'll be on your rear, so you'll be okay. Prolonged driving on the front (and the rear eventually) will bend/warp the wheel as to how thin it is on cornering and hard turns. Just take it easy and it'll do fine. Also remember that there is no balancing, which is why it is best for the rear. Should anyone have to use it on the front, put it on until you get to a safe place (home) and rotor the spare to the rear and put the replaced rear to the front until new tires could be purchased.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Luckily it'll be on your rear, so you'll be okay. Prolonged driving on the front (and the rear eventually) will bend/warp the wheel as to how thin it is on cornering and hard turns. Just take it easy and it'll do fine. Also remember that there is no balancing, which is why it is best for the rear. Should anyone have to use it on the front, put it on until you get to a safe place (home) and rotor the spare to the rear and put the replaced rear to the front until new tires could be purchased.
Yea, my blowout was in the front, so I moved the rear full size tire to the front and placed the spare in the rear.

·
Registered
5,849 Posts
The worse thing about using the spare is being seen driving with it.

Then again, if you could get a complete set of 4, that would be tits. :)

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
The worse thing about using the spare is being seen driving with it.

Then again, if you could get a complete set of 4, that would be tits. :)
+1

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Please correct my ignorance, but the V70 R doesn't have a full size spare to make room for one of three things:
1. Rear facing kids seat, or
2. Subwoofer, or
3. Underfloor storage tray.

Here is a photo of my rediculous spare tire/wheel. Notice the shape of the spokes to clear the calipers.

·
Registered
179 Posts
If you are worried about AWD getting cranky over different sized wheels, why not pull fuse and just run in FWD mode? It is summer, do you need the AWD?

I am not sure which fuse number it is.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts