SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how many folks feel the C70 is a bit squirrely in the rain?

i have 28k on the stock michelin hxm on my recently purchased 2008 and it rained last night.

this morning, the drive was filled with surprising amounts of front wheel spin on leaving intersections and it gave me a scare on a fast sweeper where i hydroplaned slightly. i realize the tires aren't the best and play a huge role, but i guess i figured traction control would help...

·
Registered
649 Posts
I suggest you check out the tread depth, and look at both the inside and outside treads. I suspect you are down below 5/32". Use the penny trick if you don't have a tread gauge (upside down Lincoln head - google it if you don't know what I mean). Traction control won't help if you only have 5/32" or less.

Can't speak to your Michelins, but my oem Pirelli P6's handled well in the rain initially, but after 23k miles I'm less thrilled. The tread is already down to between 4/32 and 5/32", so I assume that's why performance has degraded. Considering that they were probably at least 10/32" when new (if not 12/32"), my guess is that 30k is unfortunately the most I'll get out of them.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
how many folks feel the C70 is a bit squirrely in the rain?

i have 28k on the stock michelin hxm on my recently purchased 2008 and it rained last night.

this morning, the drive was filled with surprising amounts of front wheel spin on leaving intersections and it gave me a scare on a fast sweeper where i hydroplaned slightly. i realize the tires aren't the best and play a huge role, but i guess i figured traction control would help...
The well-known C70 wheel spin on take off can certainly be exacerbated by wet/oily pavement. Doesn't take much to break those front tires loose, that's for sure. At least that's what I recall. We're about to end November with NO measurable rain for the first time in over 100 years! :( I wouldn't expect much more than 30K miles for decent performance from our stock Michelins. Not sure what we will do(likely next summer) when those are worn down...maybe try to work a deal on a soon-to-be-extinct 2013 !?!

It's interesting to hear about the P6 performance. My '80 242 GT had 195/60-15s and they were the quietest, grippiest tires I had EVER driven. Extremely rare at that time also...I had to drive from one end of Atlanta to the other just to get a pair for replacements.

IF we decide to hang on to our '11, I'll look into Kumho and Hankook for grippy at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I can't get the Potenza's to spin, even with the spin control off. The P6's would spin under acceleration off the line. Haven't tried heavy acceleration on wet roads, however, I was unable to break traction around a turn at reasonable speed (around 30-40 mph).

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow, potenza's sound amazing! if it turns into an soaking wet winter, i may get new tread sooner than later. was hoping to get another 5-10k and wait until next summer, but not worth risking my life.

was debating the bridgestone potenza for their great reviews re: performance vs getting the conti extreme contact for durability/quietness. even in dry conditions, i can easily get wheel spin when that turbo kicks in! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts