SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a S60r and recently drove a 07 and 05, the 07 seemed to have a more noticeable turbo boost and pull. Both cars were supposed to be stock but the dealership didn't know for sure. Is that common to have a difference in the feel of the turbo kicking in?

Also, in the foot well in the 05 my shoe kept getting caught on what I think is the steering column, did they change that for 07?

Thanks for answering a noobs questions.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Isn't 05 a 5 speed transmission and the 07 a 6 speed? That would make a difference in felt acceleration.

Anyway, the 05 is torque limited in 1st and 2nd gears whereas the 07 is not.

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
The automatic cars have different torque limiters. Also, the steering column adjusts... they all do.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was referring to the shaft near the pedals.

Would there be any difference in the acceleration at freeway speeds between the years, or could one of them been modded.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Turbo cars with modern engine management are quite sensitive to temperatures, you're not going to get the same result on any random day.

I would think that an '05 should accelerate harder because it has a less lossy AWD system and not the always-precharged system that '06-up got. The '06-up system is truly giggleworthy when driving on fun roads or even point-and-squirting in traffic in ways that a car this huge has no right to do, so the straight line losses are worth it IMO.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
I think with a manual, you'd only notice the difference between 04-05 and 06-07 if you had traction control disabled.

The 06-07 had a more....uhh...aggressive? AWD system

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
Turbo cars with modern engine management are quite sensitive to temperatures, you're not going to get the same result on any random day.

I would think that an '05 should accelerate harder because it has a less lossy AWD system and not the always-precharged system that '06-up got. The '06-up system is truly giggleworthy when driving on fun roads or even point-and-squirting in traffic in ways that a car this huge has no right to do, so the straight line losses are worth it IMO.
It’s the same system. It’s not more or less lossy... it just applies power faster by precharging the AOC. And if it’s an automatic car the 05 will always be slower. AW55 gear ratios being what they are...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Isn't 05 a 5 speed transmission and the 07 a 6 speed? That would make a difference in felt acceleration.

Anyway, the 05 is torque limited in 1st and 2nd gears whereas the 07 is not.
My 05 SR is a 6 speed manual and it was my understanding that all 04-07 Rs with manual had 6 speeds.

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
My 05 SR is a 6 speed manual and it was my understanding that all 04-07 Rs with manual had 6 speeds.
Yes. All manual cars have the same M66C. The automatic cars have either the AW55 (04-05) or TF80SC (06-07). OP didn't mention AT or MT...

·
Registered
291 Posts
THey should feel the same, but I've found that with my R small things can result in a huge difference in boost and pull. At 160k miles I pulled the fuel injectors and couldn't believe the performance difference after re-install. Another time I felt that boost was slow to build, did a smoke test and found a small leak (no codes thrown) that greatly improved how quickly boost came on.

·
Registered
269 Posts
It’s the same system. It’s not more or less lossy... it just applies power faster by precharging the AOC.
It takes power to do that, which is what I meant by "more lossy". That's a good chunk of why the Volvos get garbage fuel economy compared to Audis of the same power and weight.

If it takes 20hp to move down the highway, an extra quarter horsepower or so to keep that pump charged makes a difference.

·
Registered
61 Posts
It takes power to do that, which is what I meant by "more lossy". That's a good chunk of why the Volvos get garbage fuel economy compared to Audis of the same power and weight.

If it takes 20hp to move down the highway, an extra quarter horsepower or so to keep that pump charged makes a difference.
Hey Noosy, I noticed you have your location set to Cleveland, OH. Do you happen to live downtown? If so, we should definitely try to meet up!

John

·
Registered
6,565 Posts

No. The feed pump is simply started on engine startup rather than when the car starts moving to provide torque transfer before the mechanical pump takes over. Both versions send the same amount of power out... one just has an accumulator with like 70n*m available instantly. And the later version engages in 1/17 wheel rev instead of 1/4. The mechanical pump is always spinning away.

The cars get bad fuel economy because it’s a 8.5:1 CR port injected 5 cylinder with poor charge air cooling... and the gear ratios of the M66C are designed for 0-60 times.

·
Registered
269 Posts
No. The feed pump is simply started on engine startup rather than when the car starts moving to provide torque transfer before the mechanical pump takes over. Both versions send the same amount of power out... one just has an accumulator with like 70n*m available instantly. And the later version engages in 1/17 wheel rev instead of 1/4. The mechanical pump is always spinning away.

The cars get bad fuel economy because it’s a 8.5:1 CR port injected 5 cylinder with poor charge air cooling... and the gear ratios of the M66C are designed for 0-60 times.
The fuel economy is similar-to-worse as my old B2 chassis car, which also had an 8.5:1 compression five cylinder, but it also had the aerodynamics of a small church and it cruised at 4000rpm on the highway because of the basically no overdrive, 4.11 final drive, and 23" tall tires. (It's kinda neat to be in 4th gear before 60mph even when driving all-out) But there were no pumps in the AWD system, just gears. (And I guess technically vacuum solenoids, since you could lock the rear diff, and also the center diff)

I've touched 29mpg with my Volvo but it involved starting with a warm engine, driving exactly 65mph, not using the air conditioning, and running 87 octane.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts