SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is in service today and I got a 2006 S60 2.5T for a rental.

The car feels much peppier than I thought, especially considering this is the base engine and there's two more after that. Then again, so is the story with the A4 and 3-Series. In fact, there's three other engines after the base 2.5L for the C-Class. But still, more engine than I thought.

My main concern is the suspension, though. This car feels much more forgiving when driving through puddles, bumps and layered asphalt than my "R", even in Comfort mode. The suspension absorbs impacts in a more gracious way, with minimal shaking.

I realize this is a completely different suspension altogether, but is this normal? I would hope that Comfort mode in a $40+K car would make the ride at least just as comfortable as that in the base $31K brother.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: Driving an S60 2.5T for the day - Suspension comparison with my "R" (ghodge)

Quote, originally posted by ghodge »
Try disconnecting the accelerometer in your trunk to disable 4C and see how similar they feel.

That's the ticket.

It's 4C at it's worst. The number one complaint I have about 4C is that it reacts so dim wittedly to bumps. It just CRASHES over them, especially in comfort, which is why comfort is useless.

With 4C disabled, as noted above, the car sails over bumps, but is too softly sprung for any spirited driving.

Can't wait to get my TME's on this summer.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Driving an S60 2.5T for the day - Suspension comparison with my "R" (ghodge)

Quote, originally posted by ghodge »
Try disconnecting the accelerometer in your trunk to disable 4C and see how similar they feel.

Hey, there's an idea! I did a search and a couple of posts came up explaining how to do this, so I will try it once I get my car back. Thanks. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Driving an S60 2.5T for the day - Suspension comparison with my "R" (needsdecaf)

Quote, originally posted by needsdecaf »
Can't wait to get my TME's on this summer.

I was planning on those too, but apparently, they lower the car more than what was initially intended/announced. Am I correct? I have a clearance problem where I live as it is (construction that might last a couple of years), so this would not be a doable mod for me.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: Driving an S60 2.5T for the day - Suspension comparison with my "R" (Razor1973)

Razor1973 said:
I was planning on those too, but apparently, they lower the car more than what was initially intended/announced. Am I correct? [\QUOTE]

Doesn't seem to be that way. Seems like it's within a quarter inch of advertised according to old posts. Remember they were shooting for "around" 5/8th's according to Jim's initial work. I don't think anyone has dropped more than 3/4". Not a big issue.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: Driving an S60 2.5T for the day - Suspension comparison with my "R" (Razor1973)

Quote, originally posted by Razor1973 »

I was planning on those too, but apparently, they lower the car more than what was initially intended/announced. Am I correct? I have a clearance problem where I live as it is (construction that might last a couple of years), so this would not be a doable mod for me.
No, they do not, all thse cars are different but the front lowers about 1/2" to 5/8" and the rear 1/2" to 5/8" and since I removed the front spoiler I never have hit ANYTHING

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Driving an S60 2.5T for the day - Suspension comparison with my "R" (JRL)

Quote, originally posted by JRL »
No, they do not, all thse cars are different but the front lowers about 1/2" to 5/8" and the rear 1/2" to 5/8" and since I removed the front spoiler I never have hit ANYTHING

JRL, I am planning to keep my body kit installed for as long as I can (as long as I don't crack it or rip it off the bumper). It really is one of the things I like the most about the car styling. It gets caught once in a while as it is, so I am afraid it would be worse with the springs, even if they drop only half an inch. That could make a world of difference if that one rock is half an inch taller.

In fact, I have been planning to measure my clearance, front and back, in stock form and compare to what others are reporting. I think my car sits rather low. I found a thread where people were posting these a while back. I will look for it, measure once I get my car back from Service and then compare and post if I find a difference.

·
Registered
326 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Razor1973 »
I realize this is a completely different suspension altogether, but is this normal? I would hope that Comfort mode in a $40+K car would make the ride at least just as comfortable as that in the base $31K brother.

The 40 aspect ratio of your R's tires should not be ignored. A very forgiving suspension on low-pro tires will still feel a little rough. If your main concern is ride quality, you might consider the 17s if you don't have them already. You will find them more forgiving. Not the same as the regular s60 still, but getting there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.