SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I have a 2007 S80 V8 which currently has a variety of persistent, as well as intermittent errors involving the driver aids.

The parking sensors will not turn on at all - if I try to hit the button, the green light flashes and then just shuts back off. So no sonar sensors at all. I must have a dead one (or more) front or rear I suppose?

Then the problems start to get weird...

Sometimes, my radar cruise will not work, saying that it's not available. (which is especially inconvenient because then I have no cruise control at all?) Other times when it will work, it functions poorly and erratically, often losing a car directly in front of me on the highway. I do not trust to use it at all.
Sometimes, my BLIS will stop working and an error will come up about vehicle angle sensor.
Sometimes, my BLIS cameras will light up when there is no car there, usually in the rain or inclement weather (this could just be the expected behaviour?)

These issues are so intermittent and seem obviously related. Could this all be due to a dead parking sensor? Or is there a bad ground wire, or malfunctioning computer? Any insight appreciated!

Where could the computer or ground be located for these systems? I do not have access to ViDA right now but hope to in the future. Or have a date with my local Volvo mechanic :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi everyone, I have a 2007 S80 V8 which currently has a variety of persistent, as well as intermittent errors involving the driver aids.

The parking sensors will not turn on at all - if I try to hit the button, the green light flashes and then just shuts back off. So no sonar sensors at all. I must have a dead one (or more) front or rear I suppose?
If one sensor is not working "system" will not turn on. That is normal. You need VIDA to find which is faulty. I replaced a few allready.

Sometimes, my radar cruise will not work, saying that it's not available. (which is especially inconvenient because then I have no cruise control at all?) Other times when it will work, it functions poorly and erratically, often losing a car directly in front of me on the highway. I do not trust to use it at all.
When it is snowing or raining heavily, message "Radar Blocked" comes on, otherwise I don't have any problems with cruise control.
Sometimes, my BLIS will stop working and an error will come up about vehicle angle sensor.
Sometimes, my BLIS cameras will light up when there is no car there, usually in the rain or inclement weather (this could just be the expected behaviour?)
This happens to me a lot of times. When it rains or when driving in country road with narrow road with trees near the road.

These issues are so intermittent and seem obviously related. Could this all be due to a dead parking sensor? Or is there a bad ground wire, or malfunctioning computer? Any insight appreciated!
Errors are not related!

Where could the computer or ground be located for these systems? I do not have access to ViDA right now but hope to in the future. Or have a date with my local Volvo mechanic :)
VIDA is absolutely necessary if you want to do repairs yourself. :) :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Just replying on this one point... similar to MarkoD

"Sometimes, my BLIS cameras will light up when there is no car there, usually in the rain or inclement weather (this could just be the expected behaviour?)"... I have the exact same experiences.... rain seems to trigger the sensor (maybe just momentary covering of lens?) and I've had the narrow road with trees close by experiences as well. And will add this... sometime in normal conditions it just seems to miss a passing vehicle... especially larger SUVs and pick up trucks. In other words, I've learned to treat it as quite fallible. A guide, that's all. This is on a 2010 version.

·
Registered
18 Posts

The radar sensor might need to be calibrated. This consists of:
1. Physically calibrating the sensor
2. Running the calibration routine via VIDA

You may also want to ensure the speed sensor (front wheel - driver side) is working properly as some of the systems on the car rely on that input.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The radar sensor might need to be calibrated. This consists of:
1. Physically calibrating the sensor
2. Running the calibration routine via VIDA

You may also want to ensure the speed sensor (front wheel - driver side) is working properly as some of the systems on the car rely on that input.
Thanks for the thought on the sensors. Is it possible that a bad parking sensor, either front or rear could cause the multitude of errors? It just seems like some wiring or grounding issue given the intermittent nature.. one of those weird electrical wonders.:p

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for the thought on the sensors. Is it possible that a bad parking sensor, either front or rear could cause the multitude of errors? It just seems like some wiring or grounding issue given the intermittent nature.. one of those weird electrical wonders.:p
Definitely possible. As others have suggested: getting VIDA will be key to properly diagnose problems. You may already have codes stored that will point to the source of the issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts