SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been whittling away at a number of issues with my in-law's 2007 XC90 3.2 with 174k miles. One issue I am trying to get to the bottom of is excessive noise coming from the drivetrain like there is a bad wheel hub. It is most prevalent around town when coasting at 25MPH and it doesn't matter if it is in gear or in neutral. In diagnosing I have so far replaced the original wheel hubs and the tie rods which had a lot of play in them.

I ruled out the prop shaft early because it was replaced just a few years ago by a mechanic. However, poking around further under the car, I found what seems to be a lot of play where I would expect there to be a center bearing holding it in place. I can't imagine this is normal, does the whole prop shaft need replaced, or do I require a center bearing?

Video below:

·
Registered
3,140 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Definitely not right! Could it have come unbolted?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
There is a heat shield that is supposed to be above that center muffler. The bolts to hold up that heat shield also hold the bracket (number 7) for the center bearing in place. It may be too late now because of the extra play and unfortunately, it's not a serviceable part.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took it on the highway today, now that I have the front end quieted up, and it was vibrating pretty bad. Pretty certain it’s that prop shaft now. I’ll get under there and see if I can find the support bracket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
With that much slop I'm surprised it doesn't beat a hole in the floor!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Ok got under the car again and center bearing is mounted correctly. Turns out the rubber is shot.

Also found the receipt. Got this driveshaft from wholesaleimportparts.com in June 2016 for $600. 18 month warranty I believe.

Here’s a video. Pardon my lack of vocabulary long day.

https://youtu.be/1ZmJLSwv4CM[\URL] Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts