SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Driveshaft to rear axle connection issue

670 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  mcphill 
#1 ·
Help! Next unforeseen issue with engine/driveline install.

So, I have everything in place in my 1964 1800S and just need to connect the rear of the driveline to the rear axle, but it won't fit. It is to long even with the splined end all the way into the front section.It appears that I need at least one inch extra clearance to be able to connect the U-joint.

Any Ideas? Did I do something wrong?

I had a shorter rear section by half an inch, but that would not be enough. Do I need to detach the rear axle from the locating rods and move it back?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions for getting around this issue.

#3 ·
RB;

Are you sure about the spline joint?

If it came out of there, it must be able to go back in...I doubt Motor/Trans Mounts can sag enough to cause this, but you might want to check them anyway...clearly something odd is happening, and its up to you to find it! ...and let us know what that is when you do!

Good Hunting!

#4 ·
Follow up on issue connecting the driveline to the rear axle.

Follow up on issue connecting the driveline to the rear axle.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

I looked at all of the areas you folks commented on. The one area that seemed might be an issue was the center assembly where the bearing and splined shaft come together.Looking at a later driveshaft assembly I have, I noticed that the rear of the center bearing was protruding from the rear of the retainer further than it should.

I put the washer and nut on the threaded portion of the forward section, and tightened as much as I could with my new tool (see last photo). Then I reassembled the rear section with the splined shaft. I also used my new tool to lever the splined as much forward as possible. This allowed the rear U-joint to fall into place. Well, maybe talked into place with strong words and a little maneuvering.

By the way my new tool, a 1 7/8 inch combo wrench came from Agri-Supply. They had 50 in stock, and it was not the largest one. For the record, I wear a 36 inch sleeve. I had to register the wrench with the local police as a lethal weapon .....grin.

Again, thanks for the invaluable help folks.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.