SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading this thread:
https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?415786-Drive-Shafted

and the comments seemed to indicate that the centre support bearing/bushing setup was somehow WELDED into place - this doesn't seem right to me.

Looking at the (admittedly low-res) pictures in VIDA it looks to me like a regular driveshaft with a u-joint installed in a yoke which surely MUST be attached to the driveshaft with a bolt?

It seems unlikely that when Colorado Driveshaft (and other repair shops) rebuild them they are grinding the old bearings off and welding new ones in...

Does anyone have more information about this?

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
It is not bolted. It is welded or otherwise joined. There might be a splined drive and a snapring but idk.

Best bet is used off ebay, they're not R specific.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I'll take your word for it - I had a 1998 with AWD that had a driveshaft that /looked/ like basically the same design. It had a machine surface on the driveshaft to hold the bearing, then a splined u-joint yoke that fit on matched splines on the shaft, then a bolt on the inside of the yoke to hold it all together. I find it hard to believe they went away from that to a welded/permanent design but I guess until I have a chance to get one apart I won't know for myself.

I have a friend with a newly acquired 2004 V70 R and I was looking into this for them.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
A local driveshaft company told me that the u joints are glued in and not rebuildable, they quoted me 700 and some odd Change for a new Volvo one. Colorado driveshaft has the best deal on them for our cars which is $425 plus $100 core which includes shipping. As long as your center bearing is ok you can replace the cv joints on the outside to a tube of $70 a piece

·
Registered
701 Posts
A local driveshaft company told me that the u joints are glued in and not rebuildable, they quoted me 700 and some odd Change for a new Volvo one. Colorado driveshaft has the best deal on them for our cars which is $425 plus $100 core which includes shipping. As long as your center bearing is ok you can replace the cv joints on the outside to a tube of $70 a piece
That's the official story but there are those around that will rebuild them. We have a guy up here, known province-wide as a real Volvo expert, who cuts the center support bearing out of the shaft after marking the shaft with indexes. He then installs a 200 Series support bearing and welds the whole thing back together using the indexes to make sure the original balance in maintained. I haven't had one done but I've talked to local mechanics and a few folks who have and it works. The trick in your particular area is to find someone who thinks out of the box so you can get this kind of thing done.

Cheers,

Bill

·
Registered
1,758 Posts

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
That's the official story but there are those around that will rebuild them. We have a guy up here, known province-wide as a real Volvo expert, who cuts the center support bearing out of the shaft after marking the shaft with indexes. He then installs a 200 Series support bearing and welds the whole thing back together using the indexes to make sure the original balance in maintained. I haven't had one done but I've talked to local mechanics and a few folks who have and it works. The trick in your particular area is to find someone who thinks out of the box so you can get this kind of thing done.

Cheers,

Bill
That’s pretty clever. If I knew of someone that did that local I would be all over it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts