SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New iOS 13 has another upgrade along with the update to CarPlay. Text messages that are read through Sensus (linked by bluetooth, not through CarPlay) are marked as read on the iPhone and can be replied to via Sensus. (no more "The connected device does not support this function"):partywave:

The CarPlay update is a nice refresh and I like it a lot more, Still wish it utilized the entire screen though.

·
Registered
296 Posts
New iOS 13 has another upgrade along with the update to CarPlay. Text messages that are read through Sensus (linked by bluetooth, not through CarPlay) are marked as read on the iPhone and can be replied to via Sensus. (no more "The connected device does not support this function"):partywave:

The CarPlay update is a nice refresh and I like it a lot more, Still wish it utilized the entire screen though.
Yesterday evening I was driving home and got a text from one of my buddies. I was pleasantly surprised that I was now able to reply to his text using the voice control. I do have an iPhone X running iOS 13. Awesome!

·
Registered
484 Posts
I haven’t noticed. Will try that out later. The best feature is now if I have the map on sensus and I got to my phone and change the active app it leaves rhe head unit alone. So nice it’s like have dual screens.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I'm an Android user, but if Volvo adds second screen/full screen, I'm buying an iPhone the next day.
iOS 13 feels like the sensus is a second display. It doesn’t have to mirror your phone anymore.

·
Registered
261 Posts
My only complaint is that when I'm in multi-window view or whatever it's called, it displays apple maps, even if you're currently using google maps to route you. So now we'll have to wait a year for Apple to allow everyone to use Google maps in that mode, unless there is a setting i missed.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I like the text messaging feature, too. Except when I get text messages from, a-hem, a younger demographic, whose texts are machine-gun like bursts of one or two words per text. So literally one message could be disbursed over 10 texts. A recent example from my teenage son:

Hey
Whats up?
U home?
Whens dinner?
how bout chickan?
*chicken?
Got 2 hours
HW [homework]
Maybe more
how was
ur day
?

Is there a way all those can be combined and read at once? Stopping after each one and asking if I want to reply makes the whole thing like a 30-minute process, and I forget what was in the first few texts by the time I get to the end.

Yes, I know -- I've become my father. Grrrrr...

·
Registered
484 Posts
My only complaint is that when I'm in multi-window view or whatever it's called, it displays apple maps, even if you're currently using google maps to route you. So now we'll have to wait a year for Apple to allow everyone to use Google maps in that mode, unless there is a setting i missed.
i found that view not that useful. it looked cool but i didn't like how i couldn't see a bigger view of the map. i use waze and you think after all these years google would have drawn the maps to proper scale lol.

·
Registered
94 Posts
This is what my kid does too. Or used to. I said I would not reply if she kept this up. Please send it all together in one message. Seems to be working...

·
Registered
298 Posts
I haven’t noticed. Will try that out later. The best feature is now if I have the map on sensus and I got to my phone and change the active app it leaves rhe head unit alone. So nice it’s like have dual screens.
This is a nice enhancement when using the carplay map, we can other phone apps on the phone at the same time. It could be better if the carplay map can be zoom in/out on Sensus.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hmmm. . . .I updated my iPhone last night, but I still don't get notifications in the XC90 (Sensus) and the "Texting" settings in "Communications" are still grayed out.
Do you have any tips on what settings are required?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmmm. . . .I updated my iPhone last night, but I still don't get notifications in the XC90 (Sensus) and the "Texting" settings in "Communications" are still grayed out.
Do you have any tips on what settings are required?
You need to allow access from your iPhone. Goto Settings, Bluetooth, tap on the “i” for My Volvo Car and turn on Notifications. I also allow all contacts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
183 Posts
You need to allow access from your iPhone. Goto Settings, Bluetooth, tap on the “i” for My Volvo Car and turn on Notifications. I also allow all contacts
THANK YOU ALL FOR THIS POST! When I switched from Android to iPhone I lost the ability to respond to texts... then I lost the ability to receive texts... it's been driving me nuts! Thank you for keeping me from swapping my phone again!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks for the info! I've loved the new updates so far, just takes some getting used to where the icons are on the screen. Can't wait to reply by voice with sensus.

But my far my fav ios13 upgrade is to send all the spam callers to voicemail without ringing the phone.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Thank you for your suggestion.
Now that this is working, can you give me a tip on how to use voice control to reply to a text ?
When you received a text message, it notifies you at the bottom of the CarPlay screen. If you tab that, it reads the text message to you and ask you (Yes/No) to reply text via voice. If yes, it will record your voice message and send it as a text message.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Try pressing the menu home button in Apple CarPlay and select google maps rather than maps.
It’s that square with white dashes and lines on the left bottom in CarPlay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 34 Posts