SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2006 XC70
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I've recently discovered that I am getting water pooling under the drivers side rear seat. I've looked around the forums and a clogged sunroof drain is often the cause of this water infiltration issue. I've done some testing and the front drains are fine, but the rear drivers side drain is blocked. I've pulled the seat bolster from the back seat and have found the drain tube coming from the rear DS sunroof drain. I pulled the tube from the black L shaped coupling that exits to the exterior to drain and poured water in the coupling. It drains fine. I've also run trimmer nylon line up the tube as far as I could in hopes that it would exit the drain hole and come out the top. However, the line goes up about 2ft and won't pass that point (not far enough to exit the drain hole at the top). I suspect its getting bound up at a elbow joint of some kind.

I've done some further testing by blocking the front drains and tilting the car back by elevating the front end. I pulled the friction fit tube from the coupling and put a soda bottle on the end to catch the outflow. I then poured water down the drivers side sunroof rail. All the water exited the sun roof and flowed down the c pillar and pooled into the seat.
1e.png
Tube and coupling under the seat bolster
3e.png

However none went into the bottle, so I know the drain tube is definitely blocked or disconnected.

So... my question is does anyone have experience with this issue? And also does anyone have instructions on how to dismantle the C pillar trim so I can see what's going on with the drain tubing. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 XC70
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update: The problem is fixed. It turned out that the tube coming from the rear drivers sunroof drain had a severe kink in it. I was able to remove the interior trim in the rear storage area and it revealed that the tube was bent where it made a turn just below the C-pillar and over the wheel well. Heated the tube with a hair dryer and squeezed it back into shape. It still wanted to kink at the same spot when bent so I wrapped the kinked area with a zip tie to put pressure on the spot and hold it round. I also took the opportunity to clean out the tube by removing it from the black coupling that exits the body and using lawn trimmer cord to ream out the tube from the bottom. Attaching a few images for reference.
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior Vehicle
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design
Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle door Automotive exterior Vehicle
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive design

1 - 2 of 2 Posts