SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like someone biked into (or ran into) my 2 month old XC60. Specifically, they hit my driver's side mirror, despite it being folded in. The motor for the mirror still works (i.e. it folds in when I lock the car), but the glass is smashed and there was a pool of broken plastic under the mirror. I managed to snap the painted cap back on.

Any thoughts on the better and/or cheaper place to get this repaired? I have a body shop that I trust and have used before, so I am tempted to just go there. I expect that my dealership, while more equipped to do this repair, will rip me off.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Is it just the glass or is there paint work needed? Honestly, if it is all just "mechanical" damage, I might even see if somewhere like PEP boys could do it...you may have to bring them the parts. Regardless, any competent body shop should be able to handle something like this.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
If it is just the mirror (and everything else is okay) it will be an easy fix. The mirror just pops out and a new one will pop back in. This happened to me and I took it to the dealer and watched the service writer do the whole thing. He charged me over $100 and then I promptly kicked myself for not doing on my own. Very very easy!!!!

·
Registered
246 Posts
I don't know what year your XC60 is, but I replaced the original drivers side mirrors on both of my vehicles with a wide angle mirror made by Volvo. VERY easy to pop the existing mirror out and replace. So as others have mentioned, if it is just the mirror that needs replaced, do it yourself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts