SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning, chaps!<p>Quick question about my driver's seat. I have noticed a fair amount of cracking in the finish of my leather on the edge of the side bolsters. I know that this often happens to cars with more mileage on them and as they age, but I just think it seems a bit much for this stage in the "aging" of my R. Does anyone else notice this on their seats and do you think this could be a warrantable clain? My mom's audi has twice the mileage my car has and not a crack. Of course she probably weighs half as much as me too, haha.<p>Thanks!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Re: Driver's seat (fasts60r)

YEP I have that same issue on my 2004. I'm not sureit covered under warranty...but it's starting to look a bit nasty!

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Re: Driver's seat (shrooman)

Make sure that you treat the leather regularly. The wings are prone to cracking due to "scraping" on ingress/egress.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Re: Driver's seat (fasts60r)

Volvo will almost immediately deny the claim as it is considered normal wear and tear. Unless you are within a month or so of having purchased/leased then it would be a tough sell. The R leather is a very soft leather and significantly more prone to cracking i.e. it needs a lot of care and up-keep.<p>How bad is the cracking? If it is more on the light side, some lexol may help a bit, and groit's leather rejuvenator is great at riding some of the smaller cracks. Otherwise you may need to replace a section if it bothers you that much.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: Driver's seat (Vipergtsz3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Vipergtsz3</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Volvo will almost immediately deny the claim as it is considered normal wear and tear. Unless you are within a month or so of having purchased/leased then it would be a tough sell. The R leather is a very soft leather and significantly more prone to cracking i.e. it needs a lot of care and up-keep.<p>How bad is the cracking? If it is more on the light side, some lexol may help a bit, and groit's leather rejuvenator is great at riding some of the smaller cracks. Otherwise you may need to replace a section if it bothers you that much. </TD></TR></TABLE><p>Mine were not cracked when I bought the car with 26,000 miles on it and I have lexol'd it every month since then. Only the driver's seat, but I can't help but rub when I get in (I'm not small) and I don't want it to crack. <p>There are some wear lines, but they are faint and no cracks.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Re: Driver's seat (needsdecaf)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>needsdecaf</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><p>Mine were not cracked when I bought the car with 26,000 miles on it and I have lexol'd it every month since then. Only the driver's seat, but I can't help but rub when I get in (I'm not small) and I don't want it to crack. <p>There are some wear lines, but they are faint and no cracks. </TD></TR></TABLE><p>Try the groits. Can't hurt.

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Re: (fasts60r)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>fasts60r</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks guys. What is Groit's and can I jsut get it at Pep Boys or someplace like that?</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Pep Boys will sell Lexol which is what a fair number of us use. I don't think Griot's is sold anywhere other than:<p><A HREF="http://www.griotsgarage.com" TARGET="_blank">http://www.griotsgarage.com</A>/

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: (MagoonR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>MagoonR</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><p>Pep Boys will sell Lexol which is what a fair number of us use. I don't think Griot's is sold anywhere other than:<p><A HREF="http://www.griotsgarage.com" TARGET="_blank">http://www.griotsgarage.com</A>/</TD></TR></TABLE><p>It aint. Most of Griot's products are very high quality, however I have not tried the <A HREF="http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1=L1_1000&L2=L2_1006&SKU=11141" TARGET="_blank">leather rejuvinator</A>.<p>Some guys (bbViggen for one) swear by leatherique as well. Never tried it myself. <p>Please let us know how it works out, I'm sure that eventually even the lexol can't protect it forever.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Re: Driver's seat (needsdecaf)

I'm not a "slim" guy either, so what I did was program seat memory 1 to be where I normally drive and seat memory 3 to be all the way back. I just hit 3 before I get out of the car and hit 1 after I get into the car.<p>It seems to work well. would be a nice feature like on my Pacifica "Easy Seat Exit option".<p>What I can't figure out, is there is some magic combination of steps that I can do every once in a while that makes the seat position go from 3 to 1 as soon as I open the driver door (or perhaps as I use my key fob to unlock the door.)<p>I just consider that one a quirk.<p>-Ben

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts
Re: Driver's seat (bcantana)

If you hit position 3, get out, and lock the vehicle with your remote within 30 seconds, it should then store position 3 with your remote.<p>Thusly, when you open the vehicle, the seat will already be in position 3. Then you press 1 to get to your driving position. <p>Is that what you're asking?

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: Driver's seat (bcantana)

If you lock the car with Fob X, it will remember the seat position that you had when you locked it with that remote. <p>So if your wife changes it, it'll go back to your setting if you unlock with Fob X.<br>

1 - 12 of 12 Posts