SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody else having this problem? I’ve been hearing an audible click and feeling a movement or tap/click type sensation under my left thigh on low speed acceleration and deceleration (traffics) that’s been absolutely maddening.

The dealer has been at it for ages. Had Volvo Customer care involved. It went from them not being able to reproduce it to acknowledging that it was there. Then they claimed it was a loose piece of trim.

Finally they claimed it was a loose usb cable they found under the seat. Still no change.

I gave up and followed the TJ for excess seat back movement to get the trim off and a test drive confirmed that the trim was not the issue. So I just went through and tightened every torx screw I could access and lubed the joints. In particular one screw that holds the seat pan was a quite a few turns short of tight.

That did it. Problem solved. Is it crazy to think that if a customer comes in with a noisy loose seat that the first thing to do would be to make sure the screws are tight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am having a similar issue. Do you have the picture?

Control panel removal:

Screws:

The circled screws hold the actual seat pan onto the frame that handles the tilt. The screw with the arrow was loose allowing the pan to move slightly under sufficient force.

I went ahead and just torqued down everything that I could fit a torx driver on for good measure, but that was the only screw that was markedly loose.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Charge Volvo/the dealer for your time at $125/hr! Pretty sad that the customer has to DIY..

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
On my car, the backrest swings a little forward and backward just under my hand. Guess it is not same as the bottom cushion movement?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On my car, the backrest swings a little forward and backward just under my hand. Guess it is not same as the bottom cushion movement?
That’s a separate issue. There’s a TJ for it. 32508.3.0

Code:
 DESCRIPTION:
* Vehicle type updated for Type 256.
Too much play in the backrest on the front seat.
SERVICE:
The locking retainer/washer must not be tight against the seat frame. It must have a play of 1,0mm +/-0,5mm.
See repair instruction TJ 32508.
Oddly enough the solution suggested is to increase the amount of play in the retaining washer. I think the reasoning is that the problem isn’t the movement in the seat, but instead a creaking sound that is alleviated by making sure the bits aren’t rubbing as tight. My front backrests both have a bit of play in them but no noise.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Good find, and nice work. Will check mine too.
I'm pretty certiain that my pop comes from the seat back though, even though it does not feel loose.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts