SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The drivers seat will get the most wear with my car so I decided to protect it with a sheepskin seat cover. - Kris :)

·
Registered
8,974 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
That’s like putting a paper bag over the Mona Lisa. IMHO of course 😎

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm not really into seat covers but since I'm always dripping with sweat post workout, this seat cover is a must. It's made of neoprene and it's great in absorbing all the sweat from my gym clothes. It doesn't smell too even if I don't wash it for five days and I workout almost everyday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"That’s like putting a paper bag over the Mona Lisa."

"Normally I think seat covers are hideous..."

I thought long and hard before doing this. I am very happy with the design, look and feel of the seats. I decide to do it because I keep my cars and everything I have ever owned the drivers seat gets the most wear. I wanted something that not only felt comfortable but looked nice that went with Volvo's classy interior. I didn't just want to throw a towel over the seat even though it would have been a lot cheaper to do so. - Kris :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
That's like putting a paper bag over the Mona Lisa. IMHO of course ?
I agree. Nothing against the idea of protective seat covers but I paid good money for my ride so I'm going to sit on my leather and get my money's worth.:partywave:

·
Registered
879 Posts
Take the cover off and IF it wears, let it. Volvo will replace it under warranty if it wears/cracks.

Volvo fixed the leather wear issue that was first found on the 2016 XC90. You should not have any issues if you condition/clean the leather regularly.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I agree. Nothing against the idea of protective seat covers but I paid good money for my ride so I'm going to sit on my leather and get my money's worth.:partywave:
Ok, nothing wrong with that. Different strokes for different folks.

Kris :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Take the cover off and IF it wears, let it. Volvo will replace it under warranty if it wears/cracks.

Volvo fixed the leather wear issue that was first found on the 2016 XC90. You should not have any issues if you condition/clean the leather regularly.
I had read / heard at the NY auto show there were stains on the seat from all the people wearing jeans who were sitting in the car. Not sure how true it was though. When I bought the car and was getting the sales pitch to spend extra on protective paint coating and interior treatment my sales woman made mention of how I was wearing jeans. I didn't take it, told her if I can't wear jeans in this car maybe I should not be buying it. To my shame I have never conditioned the leather in my cars over the years. Never remembered to. - Kris :)

·
Registered
440 Posts
I had read / heard at the NY auto show there were stains in the seat from all the people wearing jeans who were sitting in the car. Not sure how true it was though. When I bought the car and was getting the sales pitch to spend extra on protective paint coating and interior treatment my sales woman made mention of how I was wearing jeans. I didn't take it, told her if I can't wear jeans in this car maybe I should not be buying it. To my shame I have never conditioned the leather in my cars over the years. Never remembered to. - Kris :)
The blonde interior does have an issue when you wear jeans. I have a friend who had a blonde interior and had to work hard to keep it clean. My wife wanted a AmazonBlue XC40 with the white roof and all the ones we located on dealer lots had blonde leather and she wanted charcoal so we had to do OSD.

I clean and condition the leather about four times a year in our cars. We sold sold a 12 year old VW GLI when we bought the XC40 and the seats were in great shape. There was some wer on the drivers side, but not bad for a 12 year old car. Our 11 year old Jeep Grand Cherokee shows no wear on the drivers seat. I'm assuming Volvo uses leather as good or better than VW and Jeep so I'm hoping 5e seats wer well with age.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
The blonde interior does have an issue when you wear jeans. I have a friend who had a blonde interior and had to work hard to keep it clean. My wife wanted a AmazonBlue XC40 with the white roof and all the ones we located on dealer lots had blonde leather and she wanted charcoal so we had to do OSD.

I clean and condition the leather about four times a year in our cars. We sold sold a 12 year old VW GLI when we bought the XC40 and the seats were in great shape. There was some wer on the drivers side, but not bad for a 12 year old car. Our 11 year old Jeep Grand Cherokee shows no wear on the drivers seat. I'm assuming Volvo uses leather as good or better than VW and Jeep so I'm hoping 5e seats wer well with age.
I don't know what the interior color was at the auto show. The blonde color looks great but I can see it being like having white carpet in a house. LOL! Someone like you or your friend, who is on top of the leather care can have a blonde interior where as someone like me that blonde interior would end up being charcoal. LOL! I have a 15 yr old Grand Cherokee that I just had the (drivers) leather seat bottom replaced. After 15yrs it was cleaned from time to time but was never conditioned the seat bottom cracked and ripped. The rest of the interior is mint.

Kris :)

·
Registered
530 Posts

All leather wears regardless if it's defective (like the 2016 XC90's) or not. Seat covers prevent that wear from happening and their useful for those who hold onto their cars for more than just 4 years.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
All leather wears regardless if it's defective (like the 2016 XC90's) or not. Seat covers prevent that wear from happening and their useful for those who hold onto their cars for more than just 4 years.
Agreed 100%. The other day I saw a woman pull up at the supermarket in an older Mercedes and when she got out I saw the leather seats and they were shot. The rest of the car looked good but not the seats.

- Kris :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Well that is a good point about long term ownership and I can see why Krislu protects the blond driver seat. I plan to keep mine for up to 10 years so will have to see how mine wear, I'm guessing my own black R Design "nubuck" textile (yep nubuck textile
:deadhorse: I love these new emoji's :) ) center seat inserts will probably fair better than the leather surround. The boston leather on My BMW 1 series cab I traded still looked good after 10 years but my bolsters were scratched to hell by jean rivets.

·
Registered
879 Posts
If you condition and clean it regularly, you will never notice "wear". I have a 2006 S60 with black leather that has 180k on the odometer. Leather looks MINT!!

Jeans do rub off on blonder leather hence why I say CLEAN and CONDITION once a week or so.... but be smart and dont get blonde. It is stupid if you are a OCD clean freak like me when it comes to your car.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
If you condition and clean it regularly, you will never notice "wear". I have a 2006 S60 with black leather that has 180k on the odometer. Leather looks MINT!!

Jeans do rub off on blonder leather hence why I say CLEAN and CONDITION once a week or so.... but be smart and dont get blonde. It is stupid if you are a OCD clean freak like me when it comes to your car.
Not just jeans. The dyes are cheap these days and all colors rub off on blonde. I ended up getting those seat covers I posted because between the rubbing and color fun off, I was afraid my seats would look horrible in a few years.

Aside from a crease on driver's seat before I got seat covers, my leather is mint. Nothing wrong with protecting the interior.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Not just jeans. The dyes are cheap these days and all colors rub off on blonde. I ended up getting those seat covers I posted because between the rubbing and color fun off, I was afraid my seats would look horrible in a few years.

Aside from a crease on driver's seat before I got seat covers, my leather is mint. Nothing wrong with protecting the interior.
What model/year are these creases? Give me a pic and I can tell you if there is a TJ on it as one does exist for specific models/years.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
What model/year are these creases? Give me a pic and I can tell you if there is a TJ on it as one does exist for specific models/years.
2015.5 Volvo S60 T5 FWD.

Doesn't leather naturally crease as one sits on the seats? Or is this abnormal wear? FYI: 1-2X a year, I remove seat covers, clean the leather, and condition the seats.

Photos Attached:

Comfort Furniture Beige Leather

Leather Chair Car seat Furniture Beige

Leather Car seat Beige Chair Furniture

·
Registered
879 Posts
2015.5 Volvo S60 T5 FWD.

Pretty sure its just "wear"??? Doesn't leather naturally crease as one sits on the seats? FYI: 1-2X a year, I remove seat covers, clean the leather, and condition the seats.

Grabbing pictures
The early model SPA's had excessive cracking and peeling on the seat bottom leather (door side) that warranted a TJ. Your car does not apply.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts