SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driver side wheel smoking, Possible caliper failure

Hello,<p>You all have helped me in the past, figured I go back to the answer-people. Recently my wife called me and said that there was smoke coming out of the driver-side wheel. When she got out of the car, she said it smelled like burning rubber. When I got home, I checked all the hoses under the hood that I could see, nothing, the CV boots, nothing, tie-rod boot, nothing. There was what looked like a very slight scuff mark on the fender plastic, but that was it. The tires are the proper size for the car, a 2002 XC70.<p>Could this be something bigger? Are there any rubber bushings inside the brakes that might've failed? I drove the car around teh block a couple times, and it seemed fine, no noises, nada? Anyone experience anything similar?<p>Thanks again for the help<BR><BR>
<i>Modified by jbt308 at 6:38 PM 8-2-2009</i>

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Re: Driver side wheel smoking (jbt308)

on a trip to disneyland i caught a plastic bag on the freeway and it caused some burning/melted. it took a few miles to pull over safely and it did smell some when i pulled it out. the bag got caught by the spindle and brake caliper. i hope that that is all it is in your case.<p>good luck.<p>ps; there are some rubber parts on the calipers. boots for the slide pins and the dust shield/cover for the brake piston come to mind.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Driver side wheel smoking (hastee)

Yeah, that's kinda what I'm hoping it was. She drove around a bit today with no smoke.<p>Thanks

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Re: Driver side wheel smoking (jbt308)

The scuff mark on the fender liner is normal -- probably some slight rub at full lock, which can happen even with stock parts -- and should not be related to the smoke.<p>Hastee's suggestion sounds most plausible. The rubber in the caliper assembly isn't anywhere things could rub on them while the car is moving (i.e. hidden behind the inside pad and on the backside of the caliper), and if the hoses looked good, then there's not much else there that would cause the problem.<p>Crossing my fingers this doesn't return for you!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Driver side wheel smoking (VTT5)

Well, it looks like it wasn't a plastic bag as we had hoped.<p>I, luckily, drove the car for an extended period today, not very long at all actually, and the problem presented itself.<p>I was stopped at a stop sign, and took my foot off the brake when I noticed the car didn't move, and I could hear a noise from the driver front wheel like the brakes were on. I tested it again on my street, let the car roll to a stop, which it did, as if the brakes were applied, but just on that wheel.<p>When I got home the wheel was so hot I couldn't touch it, as in the rim, and I could only hold my hand over the vented area for a couple seconds because it was so hot.<p>I'm thinking the driver side brake has seized on, at the worst, or partially at the best. Any ideas or similar experiences out there?<p>Thanks again for any help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts