SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, since I’m looking at doing some work on my daughters 2004 XX 90, she’s telling me about the other “daddy do’s” : this one is that when the door unlock handles of the door is pulled, nothing happens. No sound and the door won’t open. I have to roll the window down and open/release the lock by reaching out and pulling the exterior door handle.

Is there a write up on how to remove the door panel and how to replace whatever needs replacing?

TIA

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
There is a plastic panel on the inside of the door panel that cracks over time that holds the pin to the cable that goes to the lock. Either replace the entire panel or replace the plastic piece on the back that holds the cable piece in place. I can source a replacement one for you if you would like.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the offer! I’ll take you up on it. Although, I’ll have to get into it to see what the problem is.

·
Registered
98 S70 Base, 06 S40 T5 M66 FWD, 08 C70 M66, 11 XC90 V8, 13 C70 P*
948 Posts
https://youtu.be/EbDzDDxNCO8

For a quick fix, I just drilled a couple of small holes in the plastic on either side of the cable end, then ran a zip tie through the holes/over the cable. That lasted a while but not a permanent solution.

BD

1998 S70 GL, 2006 S40 T5 M66 FWD, 2008 C70 Premium Plus M66, 2011 XC90 V8, 2013 C70 Platinum P* (1994 854T FWD, 2004 XC90 2.5T AWD, 2005 S60. 2.5T FWD RIP)

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
the plastic cracked on the pieces on the rear door. I took some washers and 2 part clear epoxy. I put the two pieces together, then epoxied the washer to the two pieces. I posted pictures when I did it. We sold the car in 2017, so I probably did it in 2015 if you search threads I started from 2014 to 2016 it probably will come up. I think I started a thread

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Found the problem. One of the sides that clip the plastic cable tip was broken. To (hopefully) fix it, I drilled a count of holes in the housing that receives the cable tip and secured it in place by threading zip ties around it. Hopefully, it holds. Pro.... make that “amateur” tip: when the door card/panel is put back on, the pop up lock cylinder make pop back up after locking the door. Just push it down and hold it till the lock mechanism recycles and it will ‘reset’ to the correct position .

View attachment 54645

View attachment 54647

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Found the problem. One of the sides that clip the plastic cable tip was broken. To (hopefully) fix it, I drilled a count of holes in the housing that receives the cable tip and secured it in place by threading zip ties around it. Hopefully, it holds. Pro.... make that “amateur” tip: when the door card/panel is put back on, the pop up lock cylinder make pop back up after locking the door. Just push it down and hold it till the lock mechanism recycles and it will ‘reset’ to the correct position .

View attachment 54645

View attachment 54647
Nice! Just picked up a spare drivers door plastic handle piece that’s not cracked if anyone is interested

1 - 9 of 9 Posts