SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed this morning that my driver side bulb was glowing at about 25% compared the the passenger side. Obviously i cant have it like this for long so i already ordered new bulbs from DDM, however i am worried it could end up being the ballast (hope not). Does this sound like a bulb issue or a ballast issue? I have 88k on my 04 if that helps with anything. Thanks guys

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Noticed this morning that my driver side bulb was glowing at about 25% compared the the passenger side. Obviously i cant have it like this for long so i already ordered new bulbs from DDM, however i am worried it could end up being the ballast (hope not). Does this sound like a bulb issue or a ballast issue? I have 88k on my 04 if that helps with anything. Thanks guys
Ballast problems are usually indicated when the bulb flashes. Also the bulb dims when they get older. However, the only way to be sure is to put in the new bulb and see what happens. For a quick peace of mind, swap the bulbs around and see if the same side is dimmed. If it is, you have the answer.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Also, if the ballast fails it is very wise to fit new bulb so bulbs first is not a waste. A bulb with electrode wear will have higher arc voltage to get the metal vaporized. The higher voltage stresses ballast and can be the reason it fails. The stress is the reason the light flashes a few times as the ballast fails to keep the 20+K volts needed for arc until vaporization occurs.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, really appreciate it. Side note: can anyone chime in on how long it takes for DDM bulbs to arrive?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts