SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 XC90 3.2L AWD

When approaching and unlocking the vehicle, all doors unlock except the drivers door. No codes on dashboard. Batteries in fobs replaced last week. Cycle the locks a 2nd time and everything reacts normally.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
668 Posts
I thought that hitting the unlock button once causes the Drivers door to unlock, hitting it twice causes remaining doors to unlock (I also think that the dealer can set it so one hit of unlock can unlock all doors). It sounds like to me that the somehow your settings got corrupted. Have you been playing wide VIDA/ DiCE lately?

·
Registered
953 Posts
happens to me every so often

I just use the metal key in the slot to unlock, start car, shut down, lock 2-3 times and it works fine for weeks later. electrical gremlins try it

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No playing around with vida. Just seems like something is starting to fail. I wanna address it quickly cause my warranty is up this month

·
Registered
668 Posts
take it to the dealer and start the claim now. If they claim it is a non issue and it continues, you have documented that something was broken before your warranty ran out.

·
Registered
953 Posts
My driver's door lock is intermittent. Sometime when unlocking with the fob, all the doors except for the driver's door will unlock. I need to re-lock and re-unlock to unlock the driver's door. Let us know if you find the source of the problem.
I have had this happen to all three xc90 that we have owned and have never identified the problem other than "cannot duplicate( replicate! was just watching alien) customer complaint"

the one that always takes the cake is if you drive it with the valet key, and I have autolock activated, sometimes the doors will not open with the lock/unlock button. at all. you have the shut the car off, take the valet key out and then lock/unlock works fine

·
Registered
68 Posts
Had very much the same situation with the Passenger door on our '08 V8. It would not unlock (it would lock) at certain temperatures and would not throw a code. It had been that way since right after we got it. Finally, it did throw a code and the unit was replace. Tech said that it is one whole unit. I imagine that it is quite expensive but we got it just under the bar for warranty. Get them to document it now.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Picked up the XC 90 yesterday and they could not replicate the intermittent dr door locking issue.

They did however replace the Lock Unit (P/N 30784972) [http://www.volvopartswebstore.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_product=1119296&ukey_assembly=240231]

and a blind rivet (P/N 986726) [http://www.volvopartswebstore.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=233911]

I'm not sure if that means the lock unit was faulty and no reacting to a signal from a keyfob receiver or if the unit itself responds to the keyfob. (as in each door responds to the keyfob individually)

Because it was an intermittent issue, I can't tell immediately if this is the "fix"

Cheers
DJO

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sounds like the lock actuator (Lock Unit) was staring to fail. Mine are further gone, but sometimes my passenger door lock still manages to work on the second or third try. It's as though the lock actuator is too weak to lock/unlock anymore, and only at certain temperatures or lunar positions can it still muster up the strength to work. I'll be replacing mine soon enough. Not too difficult once you get the inner door panel off. Part is around $160 online.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but has anyone had an issue like mine? I'm leaning towards the lock actuator...

Unlock with fob. Open door. Driver's door cycles lock then unlock. Sometimes it'll do it even after a drive cycle where I did not lock the doors. Seems to have started since the temps have been colder. It has me wondering if this is how my husband was able to lock the only key inside, in the ignition with engine running. Yesterday, I noticed when it finished the cycle, it was in the lock position when I shut the door, with the key in the ignition.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Unlock with fob. Open door. Driver's door cycles lock then unlock. Sometimes it'll do it even after a drive cycle where I did not lock the doors. Seems to have started since the temps have been colder. It has me wondering if this is how my husband was able to lock the only key inside, in the ignition with engine running. Yesterday, I noticed when it finished the cycle, it was in the lock position when I shut the door, with the key in the ignition.
It'll be the door lock actuator switches which detect the door lock/unlock status and the door open/close status
If you try and lock but the door is not detecting it is closed (due to faulty open/close switch), then it will unlock again
The switches are integrated into the lock mechanism, replacing the door mech is the only option as the switches cannot be removed or cleaned

You could try disassembling as much as possible, and trying to get some switch contact cleaner into the switches.
But the lock mech and switches may simply be mehcanically worn (as well as dirty) and cleaning a dirty worn part leaves you with a clean worn part that is still, well, worn.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts