SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Opened the wife's driver door yesterday to pop the hood. No problem.
Tried to open it again 5 minutes later, no go. There was no tension on the pull. I locked the car, and the unlock worked when pulling on the handle, but it refused to open.
Only opens from the inside now. I will take off the door card when I get back in a few hours, but any idea what to expect?
Not looking to drop $200 on a door handle (unpainted, at that) from FCP.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Do you have keyless entry? Did you rule out a weak battery or signal?

·
Registered
239 Posts
This is a known fault with P3s. My friend has a 2013 S60 (same part) and had all 4 of her interior door pulls replaced for free (it is a recall I believe) because they were failing one-by-one. There was a short period where she had to roll down her window to open the door from outside.

Interesting that your issue seems to be the opposite. I would take the car to a dealer and see if they will honor the TSB/recall (can't remember what it was) and fix it for free.

Reactions: leftwhite

·
Registered
2015 XC60 R P*
101 Posts
following

·
Super Moderator
14,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool, thanks. I think I will pull the card off today anyway and see if I can do anything about it and I'll definitely call the dealer about the recall. Her car needs to go back to get the inspection completed since I had to replace an engine mount, wipers, and trailing arm bushings (those were...fun). Would be nice if they do this for free.

Reactions: BenjaminD

·
Super Moderator
14,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Took the door card off, but there isn't really much that's visible. Also took off the door handle, but I don't see anything broken. I removed all the 7mm bolts that hold the black plastic to the inside of the door (which also holds the window regulator) but you can't really move it that much because the window is attached. The most I could do is look up inside from pulling the bottom part of the black plastic out, but couldn't see much. I also managed to accidentally unhook the locking pin and couldn't get it back in (that's a minor detail for now). If I could remove the black plastic piece and regulator easily, it would give nice access to the latch mechanism and maybe I could see what was broken.

·
Registered
8,927 Posts
Took the door card off, but there isn't really much that's visible. Also took off the door handle, but I don't see anything broken. I removed all the 7mm bolts that hold the black plastic to the inside of the door (which also holds the window regulator) but you can't really move it that much because the window is attached. The most I could do is look up inside from pulling the bottom part of the black plastic out, but couldn't see much. I also managed to accidentally unhook the locking pin and couldn't get it back in (that's a minor detail for now). If I could remove the black plastic piece and regulator easily, it would give nice access to the latch mechanism and maybe I could see what was broken.
No corrosion on the leads? Broken wires? I would let the dealer handle this if I were you. The recall resulted in four new door locks. As the doors could swing open and wouldn't properly lock in hot climates. Before poking around too much and possibly causing further damage, let the dealer inspect and see if the recall resolves the issue.

·
Super Moderator
14,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No corrosion on the leads? Broken wires? I would let the dealer handle this if I were you. The recall resulted in four new door locks. As the doors could swing open and wouldn't properly lock in hot climates. Before poking around too much and possibly causing further damage, let the dealer inspect and see if the recall resolves the issue.
As stated, the electronics work fine. The mechanical pull of the door handle doesn't have the tension that it used to and does not open the door from the outside. Pulling on the handle (as long as you have the key on you) causes the door to unlock, just not open.

If anyone has the recall number, let me know. Is this a recall that is only handled when it's an issue? The car was just in a couple weeks ago for inspection and they did the seatbelt recall, but nothing was mentioned about this.

·
Registered
8,927 Posts
As stated, the electronics work fine. The mechanical pull of the door handle doesn't have the tension that it used to and does not open the door from the outside. Pulling on the handle (as long as you have the key on you) causes the door to unlock, just not open.

If anyone has the recall number, let me know. Is this a recall that is only handled when it's an issue? The car was just in a couple weeks ago for inspection and they did the seatbelt recall, but nothing was mentioned about this.

I stand corrected I believe This only affects the S60 model. Not the XC60. Enter VIN and you can check and see if there are any recalls.

·
Super Moderator
14,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I stand corrected I believe This only affects the S60 model. Not the XC60. Enter VIN and you can check and see if there are any recalls.
Yup, no recall. Greeeeaaaaattttt. Now this gets interesting. What is the process for gaining access to the area behind the window/regulator? I just don't want to do something I can't undo. I'm looking at pictures of new handles and hers looked exactly like that. Nothing is broken, so it has to be on the mechanism itself.

·
Registered
255 Posts
It sure sounds to me like it could be your DDM (Drivers Door Module). I have had this happen a couple of times on the driver and passenger doors. As you noted, the outside handles had no tension when pulled and of course the door would not open from the outside. The modules were fixed while under warrantee so I have no idea how hard they are to replace.

·
Registered
618 Posts
The outside door handle uses a cable to activate the door latch, yours has probably broken.
No recalls, just a mechanical part that broke.
You do have to take the entire door cassette out to replace it.
If you've never done it before leave it to your retailer. Be aware they may have to take it apart to find the failure and consequently have to order the repair parts.

·
Registered
8,927 Posts
The outside door handle uses a cable to activate the door latch, yours has probably broken.
No recalls, just a mechanical part that broke.
If you've never done it before leave it to your retailer. Be aware they may have to take it apart to find the failure and consequently have to order the repair parts.
Bummer for OP because if the XC60 had a recall, the labor part would be covered under door locks. Since pretty much all that has to be disassembled I believe to replace locks. But no dice!

But you're right just a broken part and I looked wrong initially so nothing that affects the XC60.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Stating the obvious, the window needs to be up. If the door is the same as MY 2014, the outside lock mechanism and handle are released by one torx screw located at an angle along the door jamb.

·
Super Moderator
14,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It sure sounds to me like it could be your DDM (Drivers Door Module). I have had this happen a couple of times on the driver and passenger doors. As you noted, the outside handles had no tension when pulled and of course the door would not open from the outside. The modules were fixed while under warrantee so I have no idea how hard they are to replace.
The DDM is an electronic module and has nothing to do with tension on the handle. The DDM is actually very easy to replace.
95% sure it's the latching mechanism itself.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I am surprised that the S60/V60 recall doesn't affect the XC60 as I believe they use the same door handles and, I would think, the same door latch parts. Something worth asking about if you do indeed bring the car to a dealer.

·
Super Moderator
14,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am surprised that the S60/V60 recall doesn't affect the XC60 as I believe they use the same door handles and, I would think, the same door latch parts. Something worth asking about if you do indeed bring the car to a dealer.
Yeah, I'm surprised too, but the recall for her VIN shows no outstanding recalls. Rather disappointing since I'm sure it's the same issue.
I did email the service advisor and asked her to check.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Matt,
Indeed there is no door latch recall for her XC60, it only applies S/V60. Yes the XC60's door latches are no doubt made by the same vendor, but the way S/V60 door latches fail doesn't make the door not open from the outside handle.
Found an exploded picture on the net to give you an idea of the parts layout.
I believe either cable #22 or #8 is broken or has came loose from it's end fittings...

If you want some R&I tips I'll try to do my best at your request.

·
Registered
8,927 Posts
Matt,
Indeed there is no door latch recall for her XC60, it only applies S/V60. Yes the XC60's door latches are no doubt made by the same vendor, but the way S/V60 door latches fail doesn't make the door not open from the outside handle.
Found an exploded picture on the net to give you an idea of the parts layout.
I believe either cable #22 or #8 is broken or has came loose from it's end fittings...

If you want some R&I tips I'll try to do my best at your request.
The downside being is if it was part of the recall, everything would be disassembled to redo the locks. So the failed handle would probably just be a part only cost.

So I guess either has to do this himself or have the dealer correct the broken handle at full cost.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I played this exact game. Twice. Replaced the door card (replacement purchased from Erie Volvo) the first time, and had to drive the car to the dealer with a bungee cord holding the door closed the second. I even took the glass out the second time and still couldn’t get the locking pin reattached. The locking pin danced around unattached for the ~18 months in between the two repairs.

In my case, there was a little plastic nub that got sheared off sort of where the plastic end that is attached to the cable engages with the interior latch. You can see this area without removing the door cassette. This failure essentially makes the entire door card trash. My cable was and still is fine. In my case, I believe that my original door card was damaged during the ~5 repair attempts for an electrical problem with my driver’s door during the time my XC was under warranty.
If you've never done it before leave it to your retailer.
I wholeheartedly agree with this. I think the dealer charge me $120 or something to address this; I wish I had just taken the car to the dealer in the first place rather than messing around with it myself multiple times for hours.

As of today, my driver’s door is still a little wonky but I dare not mess with it again. The driver’s door unlocks and the pin pops up when I turn off my XC, but pulling on the interior door handle does not open the door as expected. If I hit the power unlock switch before pulling the interior driver’s door handle, the door opens as expected. I just have learned to live with it like this. My only issue is remembering to tell people of this quirk (and feature!) when they borrow the car.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts