SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cruise control, driver alert and the collision avoidance are all disabled. This notification just popped up for me last night - I've not been in an accident or anything... Anyone seen this message or know what I might expect? The car is still under warranty, so I'm not terribly worried about $, but it would be nice to have an idea of what is going on.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Was it snowing when it happened or was there a buildup of road grime on the front of your Volvo? Snow buildup on the radar unit in the grill can cause the adaptive cruise control to stop functioning.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
+1 Had it twice so far - once in heavy rain/fog and the second time the sensor was covered with wet snow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Was it snowing when it happened or was there a buildup of road grime on the front of your Volvo? Snow buildup on the radar unit in the grill can cause the adaptive cruise control to stop functioning.
+1 Had it twice so far - once in heavy rain/fog and the second time the sensor was covered with wet snow.

Unfortunately, neither of these is the case. I made sure that there was nothing on the radar unit or in the windshield area where the city safe stuff is. Although, the error did first pop up right after someone walked, rather closely, past the front of my car (I was in a parking lot waiting to turn out). Perhaps this could have somehow triggered the error? Did the service required message go away as soon as you guys cleared that stuff off, or did you also need to clear the error codes first before it began working again?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Unfortunately, neither of these is the case. I made sure that there was nothing on the radar unit or in the windshield area where the city safe stuff is. Did the error go away as soon as you guys cleared that stuff, or did you also need to clear the error codes first before it began working again?
Cleared after starting the car again both times (2nd after clearing the front grill sensor).

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah, ok. Perhaps this is something more sinister then. :(

I guess I'll make a service appointment and report back!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I noticed this week that if I start the car with my OBD2 dongle attached, driver assist and other codes will throw. It even started up in limp mode, stuck in third gear. Restarting the car fixed it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alas, nothing like that. Starting the car still gives me the error.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I noticed this week that if I start the car with my OBD2 dongle attached, driver assist and other codes will throw. It even started up in limp mode, stuck in third gear. Restarting the car fixed it.
I'd be looking for a new OBD2 dongle!

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Which dongle!?!?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Generic ELM Bluetooth (iCar 3 in this case). I've seen other mentions of the same behavior elsewhere on forums. Came as a big surprise to me at the time, though!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I took the car in this morning. It turns out that my front radar sensor has failed. They're overnightingthe part and expect it to be ready tomorrow afternoon.

I've got just under 13k miles on my MY13. It seems early for the electronics to be going bad, although I do use the adaptive cruise control often.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
I took the car in this morning. It turns out that my front radar sensor has failed. They're overnightingthe part and expect it to be ready tomorrow afternoon.

I've got just under 13k miles on my MY13. It seems early for the electronics to be going bad, although I do use the adaptive cruise control often.
ROHS could have something to do with it. There are regulations about lead in solder; the tin solder is *growing* little spikes (whiskers) that are shorting out.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ROHS could have something to do with it. There are regulations about lead in solder; the tin solder is *growing* little spikes (whiskers) that are shorting out.
Interesting, I wonder what causes it. I live in the Pacific Northwest, so the car is certainly exposed to it's share of rain/wet, but it is kept in a garage so I wouldn't expect that to be much of a factor.

Anyhow... I'm STILL not back in my car. I just got off of the phone with my service guy. The part arrived today and was installed, but apparently some kind of calibration is necessary before it will function. I was told that they need to drive the car at a set speed for 20 minutes. Unfortunately "traffic is too bad" for this to happen before they close tonight (at 6:00). I agreed to let the service tech drive the car home and back in the morning in order to do the calibration. I'm supposed to get my car back tomorrow morning. So far this hasn't been horrible, but it's not been pleasant. The loaner they gave me is another T5, but it is a base model and missing all the bells and whistles of mine. I miss my car. Next time I'm just going to have them order the part and I'll keep my car until it's ready for install.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ha, I lied. My service advisor called me back about 15 minutes after I posted. He went to his service manager and told him that they had to get my car ready to go. So, the service manager actually got out and was able to calibrate the sensor. From the sounds of it, the calibration process is pretty detailed. First you've got to get the engine temp up to a specific temperature. Then, you've got to drive at a minimum of 35 mph for something like a mile an a half, all while next to a wall/barrier. Then you have to do it again on the other side. Once you start the calibration, if you drop below 35mph, you have to go back and reset the system with VIDA, then start over again... so I can see how that could be an issue around here (Seattle area, rush hour). Somehow the manager was able to find enough of a break in traffic to get it done. My service advisor said that they currently have an XC60 that has been out of 3 calibration attempts, with none successful. After the service manager was able to do mine on the first try, I'm told that he'll be driving the XC first thing tomorrow.

Anyhow, I left a 12 pack in the passenger seat of my loaner to say thank you for getting my car back to me in the original time quoted. I was so excited to get my car back, that I left my spare garage door opener in the loaner... Of course I didn't notice until I had gotten home... Oh well, I guess I'll have to go back to pick it up and drool over P* cars.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts