SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It appears I’ve developed an oil leak at the transmission/driveshaft seal. There is also some play and I’m little worried. Not too familiar with this so I’m soliciting some opinions. What say you my fellow Volvoids?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
From what I have seen a little play at the inner CV/output is normal. My XC has it and every other Volvo that I've worked on has some play. Just replace the seal and don't worry about it.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what I have seen a little play at the inner CV/output is normal. My XC has it and every other Volvo that I've worked on has some play. Just replace the seal and don't worry about it.
Thanks man. That’s relieved some tension in my brain. I’ve not done it before., is it difficult. Read somewhere it’s a pain to remove the axle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
The axle can be a bear. I've had it both ways, just a simple yank with the pry bar it pops out, but just recently it took a lot of hammering with a pickle fork. I got the OEM Tools Axle Popper from amazon but the ends of the fork need to be ground down quite a bit to a tighter angle to work. Space it tight. If it doesn't work in one position, rotate the axle and try in another.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I’ve had great luck with a sledge and roofing pry bar. Assuming you are able to get the axle out of the hub, forcefully tap the axle inwards before taking any pry bar to it. I think this loosens up the circlip a bit so that the prying can then do its thing. Use the sledge to hammer the roofing prybar in a good way and then forcefully push the pry bar inwards.

2002 V70XC, 2003 V40, 2004 S60, 2010 V70

1 - 5 of 5 Posts