SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Maui, HI - The island of Maui, a particularly attractive jewel in the diamond-encrusted chain of islands known as Hawaii, is a draw for visitors for many reasons during the winter months. Whale watchers flock here to spot humpbacks that migrate to the local waters for a short time in order toto mate and give birth. Tourists come for the rich Hawaiian heritage in a relatively undeveloped environment, or to simply relax in the sun or visit a spa. Much of the untouched parts of the island are akin to a rainforest, with beautiful sun interrupted by quick downpours on an hourly basis. This made the island a perfect place for Volvo to launch their new C70 with folding hard top, allowing drivers to experience the open glory of the top down and the refined and dry environment of the C70 with the top up.

If you're traveling to Hawaii, we learned that there's so much to know about its culture. It goes so much deeper than our Brady Bunch knowledge of evil Tiki idols and the in-depth background investigation we did prior to going by Tivoing a couple episodes of 'Magnum P.I.' In retrospect, we could have done better, but who can resist old '80s footage of that Ferrari, even if 6-foot plus Tom Selleck would have been beheaded if he ever rolled the thing. Nowadays, he might prefer the C70.

Full Story

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Re: Driven: 2007 Volvo C70 ([email protected])

George,

Great article and pictures of the C70... So I have to ask, since you have no-doubt driven the older C70 a few times and have some wheel time in the newest generation C70:

Does the interior have the same "surrounded by luxury" feel as in the first generation or does it take on the S40 feel to it? (Not that it is a bad thing...)

How about with the new C and its weight distribution being the way it is, would you say it's hands-down better than the previous or just about the same?

Finally, the overall road feel to the car...does it feel lighter than it really is or can you notice the extra pounds?

I'm really interested in the car but am dying to know what personality it has...

Thanks and cheers!
Prospero

BTW, did you catch up with any of the stars from Lost?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Re: Driven: 2007 Volvo C70 (dpinto1)

Quote, originally posted by dpinto1 »

Nice looking car. Volvo will have a hit on it`s hands if this car is "somewhat" enjoyable to drive.

Oh yeah, its more than enjoyable.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Re: Driven: 2007 Volvo C70 (VolvoLT)

I like the references to Magnum P.I. That was my favorite show for a long time. I have all 162 episodes on tape (VHS) that I recoreded over many years during college (both reruns and up til the final season/episode in May 1988).

The red C70 looks particularly good in Hawaii.....but I think if I were to consider this car it would have to be "R like" as far as performance/engine wise.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Re: Driven: 2007 Volvo C70 ([email protected])

Hi I`m Jim and ordered my C70 in November, I see this article says "Driven: 2007 Volvo C70". My Question I`ve been asking fo a few posts now is, will my car be a 2006 or a 2007? The article say they are driving a 2007 in Maui. ??????

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Re: Driven: 2007 Volvo C70 (doc170)

Quote, originally posted by doc170 »
Hi I`m Jim and ordered my C70 in November, I see this article says "Driven: 2007 Volvo C70". My Question I`ve been asking fo a few posts now is, will my car be a 2006 or a 2007? The article say they are driving a 2007 in Maui. ??????

Cars before week 20 2006 will be MY06.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Re: Driven: 2007 Volvo C70 (Prospero)

The new C70 is hands down better to drive than the old car (im on my 3rd C70 coupe now) which is annoying in a way as its better than mine and its also a cabrio, key to this naturally is the extremely stiff chassis.

The car is very planted on the road so you in a way notice the weight however its extremely agile when it needs to be so you easy forget about the extra weight.

The interior is naturally similar to the S40/V50 Sport and SE cars however is noticeably better built, the doors are all unique in the C70 its just the dash that they share, the seats are better and the driving position is also much improved.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Re: (Nebor)

I like the car over all, but if I were buying a coupe as a second car, I'd take the 1st gen. coupe HPT(2003) over this. The design is more timeless (like the '95 Acura Legend coupe) and I just love that old T5 engine. They dont make them like that anymore; maybe too much techno stuff to hiccup my modding

·
Registered
131 Posts
Re: Driven: 2007 Volvo C70 (Prospero)

Hi George,

I've not read the latest Rolling edition which features the new C70, but your extensive article was very well thought out. I had a chance to sit in a bew gold convertible last weekemd at the K.C. Auto Show, and found the interior quite pleasant. Now I justhave to drive it to see how it feels compared to my '04 convertible.
The car really looks good in person, and the refinements have made the car really loook 'masculine' in design. I think Voilvo has a winner here, and I look forward to driving one when our local dealer gets one in his inventory.
Loved the Magnum comments.....you're right about the down/up top time, but what's 30 seconds between friends!! Keep up the great writing and pictures.

Newie from K.C.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts