SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
55,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new to me '07 XC90 V8 Sport with 77,900 has some slight driveline noises outside of the normal front end popping.

Symptoms:
1) engaging reverse usually has a notable clunk.
2) while cruising, lifting off the throttle you can hear a slight clunk/click in the driveline; almost as if the drive shaft is disengaging and then back on throttle it reengages
3) axle ping, slight forward or backward moment from a stop - had this on my '06 V70R, will try replacing the axle bolts to see if this resolves the issue

Was wondering if any one else experience similar issues. Not sure if its angle gear related or not, no leaking. Something is slightly off in the driveline. Transmission shifts smooth, just had a flush performed. It is an April 2007 build, so a later 2007 model.

Our 2012 XC90 does not exhibit any of these driveline clunks and clicks. It does have the familiar front suspension pops.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Bearings possibly? Our V70XC had bearing failure in the rear drive shaft, a sound got increasingly worse from the middle of the car, then all at once it was unbearable. Hard shifting from P to R to D and a hard shift from 3rd to 4th gear. Also had play from throttle on to throttle off. Like the car would stall for half a second, then engage. Turned out it was one single bearing, and we replaced the whole drive shaft. We could have had new bearings pressed in, but we got a really good deal on a refurbished one, the company also reimbursed us for sending our old one in.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
696 Posts
My new to me '07 XC90 V8 Sport with 77,900 has some slight driveline noises outside of the normal front end popping.

Symptoms:
1) engaging reverse usually has a notable clunk.
2) while cruising, lifting off the throttle you can hear a slight clunk/click in the driveline; almost as if the drive shaft is disengaging and then back on throttle it reengages
3) axle ping, slight forward or backward moment from a stop - had this on my '06 V70R, will try replacing the axle bolts to see if this resolves the issue

Was wondering if any one else experience similar issues. Not sure if its angle gear related or not, no leaking. Something is slightly off in the driveline. Transmission shifts smooth, just had a flush performed. It is an April 2007 build, so a later 2007 model.

Our 2012 XC90 does not exhibit any of these driveline clunks and clicks. It does have the familiar front suspension pops.
Could it be any of the engine mounts? They take some abuse on the V8. I found that on mine all 3 non-hydraulic mounts had failed by 100k: the upper torque rod mount, the lower transmission mount, and the "front" mount under the crank pulley.

I still do get a clunk when engaging reverse, which I've come to assume is probably normal. An extra firm application of the brake pedal seems to dampen it.

·
Administrator
55,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Check that front torque mount. It doesn't seem to be very heavy duty but does make a difference. Also control arms, the bushing that goes to the subframe, they changed the bolt sizes at one point.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Yes - similar. I plan to do my axle bolts, and I'm familiar with the ping they make, but this is definitely driveline components making noise, which from your post may be within norms but its definitely noticeable compared to our current and previous XC90s, this is our 4th. I'll check the motor mounts, those might be contributing.

thanks guys.
If you read a little more closely, you'll see my problem really never went away (bought the car in August from a dealer, had a 90 day warranty, wanted to get the issue logged and let them do the ping fix free of charge). So I'm eager to have company (like you now). I'm also convinced it's drivetrain and I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the rotational "slop" in the driveline hitting the ends (whatever that is). It's somewhat subtle, and it's a perceptive sound that is directly related to applying and removing power. I've been under the car a few times, driveline looks good and I see no fluid leaks of any kind. And if it were an angle gear sleeve strip-out failure waiting to happen it would have happened already as I've launched this car more than a few times.

And no, as I noted earlier on the other post, all my mounts are solid, first thing I looked at. I have new LCA plus seats plus bearing plate. And my subframe bushings were fine but just to solid them up, I did IPD inserts.

So it remains a mystery. Eager to see where you get to as what you describe is absolutely exactly what I'm experiencing.

·
Administrator
55,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Check that front torque mount. It doesn't seem to be very heavy duty but does make a difference. Also control arms, the bushing that goes to the subframe, they changed the bolt sizes at one point.
I had the control arm bushings replaced when my dealer went over the XC. Will check the front mount, and all the engine mounts. There's definitely some shifting going on.

·
Administrator
55,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you read a little more closely, you'll see my problem really never went away (bought the car in August from a dealer, had a 90 day warranty, wanted to get the issue logged and let them do the ping fix free of charge). So I'm eager to have company (like you now). I'm also convinced it's drivetrain and I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the rotational "slop" in the driveline hitting the ends (whatever that is). It's somewhat subtle, and it's a perceptive sound that is directly related to applying and removing power. I've been under the car a few times, driveline looks good and I see no fluid leaks of any kind. And if it were an angle gear sleeve strip-out failure waiting to happen it would have happened already as I've launched this car more than a few times.

And no, as I noted earlier on the other post, all my mounts are solid, first thing I looked at. I have new LCA plus seats plus bearing plate. And my subframe bushings were fine but just to solid them up, I did IPD inserts.

So it remains a mystery. Eager to see where you get to as what you describe is absolutely exactly what I'm experiencing.
Your description sounds very similar to mine. I agree with your assessment that the issue is driveline related, we just need to methodically hunt it down. I appreciate your insights and feedback, I will definitely keep you updated on what I find.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
How's about when you get time on a cooled down car, you give the driveline a turn side to side and tell me how much rotational play you get and what it sounds (and feel like) once you hit the ends.

Anybody else with a V8 Sport is welcome to try as well. More information and observation the better, it really bugs me...

Thanks !

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Going to bring this one back to life. If you can have a bit of a read from top to bottom, might add a little more context. I did a similar link around the same time as Chris, then stripped my angle gear launching the car from a left turn in the rain right after- so moved on to other things like getting it replaced, and forgot about it until I drove around today with the radio off.

For me, it's a V8 specific question, and as a point of reference I now have a new angle gear with sleeve, etc. so that's no longer a factor. I'm back to "feeling" it again, in part due to having replaced pretty much my entire front end over the last 4 months and with a ton of mount replacements I've done (every single engine mount that can be replaced has been replaced at some point). This is not a complaint per se, just makes me feel the load/unload a bit more (car is driving absolutely stellar these days!). Almost exactly as Chris described some time ago (didn't someone on Swedespeed buy his car?):

"1) engaging reverse usually has a notable clunk.
2) while cruising, lifting off the throttle you can hear a slight clunk/click in the driveline; almost as if the drive shaft is disengaging and then back on throttle it reengages."

I feel the "clunks" (super light mostly, feels more to me like some end-to-end limit under load and unload of the powertrain?) and it seems like I notice it more sometimes than others (will start thinking more about whether it's a hot or cold thing or not). Every fluid was changed when I bought the car a couple years ago and transmission is an 07H, car gets hardly driven these days but has had this particular scenario since day one.

Want to throw this one back out since so many folks are moving into V8s. Please, no patent answers (unless you know it for a fact), I would really ask that the next time drive your car, see if you can feel what's being described.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I can't say I feel any of that... anymore. I had a similar issue, but it was directly related to throttle. Clunk when accelerating. Another clunk when decelerating. It was loose bolts on the right side of my torque bar. Tightened those, and no problems since.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Just another information point... Often easier to post and omit possible culprits right up front, then weed out what's not the issue to get to what is.

The scenario I describe is either a "release and re-engage" or it's "load/unload to limit". Still not convinced where it's coming from. Car manages fine (just like in the R post), just annoying little clunks (and they are little) that make you wonder if something's not right. I'm heading towards release and re-engage of the drivetrain versus hitting a limit (launched this car from a dead stop more than a few times over the years, same sound since the beginning so if it's a limit I should have broken something outright by now), hence my inclusion of the transmission functionality into the mix.

11/16/17. Came across document describing possible adaptation as resolution for TF-80SC N-D condition. Applicable to 2013 MY but should be good for all? https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2014/SB-10055532-9962.pdf

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had a similar issue with my 05 AWD. Was the prop shaft. Replaced with a new one from Detroit Axel. $275 free shipping. Noise gone.

·
Registered
2008 XC90 3.2
1,300 Posts
I don't have a V8, but I do have the same transmission and albeit same drive gear. ;)

I did have creeks before, but did the subframe bushing inserts and they fixed creeking and popping over uneven surfaces and it feels more planted. Man, those front two subframe bushing bolts snapped from being rusted at the threads. One on me, and another at a shop. If anyone wants to tighten up their front with bushing inserts, try to do the rear ones first. The rear bolts are not exposed to the water (and salt in snow states) like the front bolts.

The clicking noise just has me a little worried if it is an axle because starting in late December, I will do monthly 1500 mile round trip drives. Don't want to be stranded in the middle of nowhere at night without highway lamps with an exploded CV. I get clicks/clunks. No vibration noise while accelerating/coasting. No vibrations, whining noise, or lateral play, like if it was a wheel bearing. I even put the front in the air and rotated each wheel. There is some rotational play on both sides, say around 1.5in movement at the edge of the tires. I checked where the noise was and I noticed the axles moves concurrently at the CV joints. The play/noise ended at the angle gear and I thought this to be the normal transmission play in Park.

My guess is that softening of hydraulic motor mounts and thinning of the transmission fluid with heat can make these noises/movements more prevalent. Also, with different driving habits, the adaptive transmission might shift differently between each of us and thus we each might hear the same clicking noise, but at different shift (up or down) times. I hope we can nail this down.

So the clicks/clunks I get are these:
1. Clunk: The changing from Drive to Reverse. I even switch to neutral first to remove any load on the drive train. Sometimes from Park to Drive.
2. Click: When I let off the gas and start to brake. I thought it was the brake pads in my front drivers side, but I removed the caliper and didn't see any wear on the pads or caliper carriers to indicated a looseness or banging of pads. It has been a little cooler here in Chicago (~55-65F) and the click is less noticeable now.
3. There might be more clicks, but they are random.

What I did do:
1. I took the lower torque rod out. Noticed the smaller bushing was not attached. I took some fuel hose in my garage, cut some pieces of rubber to wrap around the eyelet, and made it a makeshift bushing. This is just to test out. Well, there's a little more vibration on idle and the drivetrain feels solid. Since my car is a 3.2 with less torque, the other mounts are good. I took a crowbar to try to flex them.
2. My front control arms, ball joints, and end links are all new. Got a 4 wheel alignment. I checked the looseness of the tie-rods when I unbolted them for the work and they were still tight.
3. Front brakes are new. I installed Zimmerman rotors and Bosch pads 4k miles ago. I like these pads the best. Factory feel without the dust.
4. New Michelin tires as of 10k miles ago. Rotated and re-balanced twice already at Costco.
5. Transmission fluid via the oil cooler method with the Amazon 12 qts of Mobil 3309, 10k miles ago.
6. Shoot, all fluids and filters were changed within the last 10k miles.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Why? Stop neutral? It's been gone since 2001/2. Though the TF-80SC is technically capable of the feature, it was never enabled.
I'm reviving this thread, really want to get to the bottom of the cause, in my mind the transmission clearly unloads and loads when power is removed on a coast, then re-applied. I "feel" as though it's going into neutral at some point in the transition. I'll do an adaptation one of these days, see if things change any. But there's something going on here, above and beyond simple driveline lash.

Not the end of the world and it's not something that's gotten better or worse since I've owned the V8. But it's an odd scenario and one with I would like to understand more fully.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Now that I am in the V8, I can say that I do not feel this. The car holds steady (locked up) at cruising speeds and if i step on it, there is no pick up in the driveline (unless it's down shifting). The concerning (about yours) is that you had the angle gear replaced. if there were any slack in that driveline external to the transmission, it would be there...

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Was like it before the angle gear blew. It's no longer the clunk or click sound that I'm focused on, it's source- the release and re-application with corresponding disengagement and re-engagement of the transmission afterwards- that I'm looking into these days. I'm convinced in my head that the transmission goes into neutral on coasting, can feel it happen a second or so after the car comes off gas, not always but often, with a corresponding ere-engagement when applying gas. Do get coast-down on gear from time to time, but it's not what I'm referring to.

I'll try an adaptation when I can get to it, see if that changes anything. Thanks for checking.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts