SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some question....I plannend to buy a Volvo with the new Drive E petrol Engines. In Belgium there are not many so also not many experience...
My question: Is it right to say that after a lot of search work,that the Engines are reliable and trouble free? For me it seems so
Does there are known big problems like head gaskets are belt faillure,....?

·
Super Moderator
15,188 Posts
Which model car are you looking at? You'll probably find more detailed answers to your question if you post in the model specific subforum of SwedeSpeed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It should not much matter the model of car, although I suppose some models may generate different engine load than others. For the most part, reliability should be the same across models, as long as paired with the same transmission.

What year model were the Drive E engines introduced in the USA? What year was the engine introduced in Europe?

Based on my research (Google, etc.), there are no reports of trouble with this engine that cause me any alarm, but the long-term reliability is a slight concern.

·
Super Moderator
15,188 Posts
It should not much matter the model of car.
I just suggested that since these parts of SwedeSpeed are often like a ghost town. The model specific subforums see much more activity and owners of those particular Drive E cars may chime in.

·
Registered
420 Posts
As MyName...etc suggested, spend some time in model-specific subforums and you'll get a better response. Suggest especially the S60/V60 and XC60 subforums which is where most of the discussion on the Drive-E engines can be found.

In general answer to your question there have been some issues - in a broad sense relatively minor - with the introduction of the Drive-E engines. For the petrol engines there may or may not be an oil consumption issue and there is some disappointment that the improvement in real-life fuel efficiency over the old 5-cylinder engines has not been as large as the official numbers suggest - particularly for city driving. But still, these issues aside most people are pleased with the engines and in particular the new 8-speed auto transmission.

I know you were asking about petrol engines, but for the diesel Drive-E engines (and so far only the Drive-E D4 has any real history with the new D2, D3 & D5 engines only recently introduced) fuel economy is fairly good but the bad news is ongoing problems with the EGR valve on the D4. Just Google "Volvo Drive-E D4 EGR". Whether or not this EGR issue also affects the other Drive-E diesels is yet to be seen.

Tony

1 - 5 of 5 Posts