SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All! I am fairly new to swedespeed and this is my first thread. Thanks to all who post their experiences for the rest of us to learn from. Anyway, I am on my third Volvo. The first is a 99 S70 which I still own. A year ago I added a 2004 Nautical Blue XC70. That car was damaged in an accident in VA. The insurance decided to call it a total loss so I took my settlement check and moved up to a 07 Lava Sand XC70. This last car had 92K miles and the interior is in wonderful condition. With the help of this forum and experience with my previous XC70 I have already done some regular maintenance and cosmetic additions to the car. Enjoy the thread and may it be of help to some of you!

04 XC70 and 07 XC70

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
The car came with newish pads on the original rotors. These had a lip of at least 1mm on each side so after 5K miles with them I've decided to make t he first major upgrade/maintenance item: newfront rotors and pads. The rotors werer also upgraded from 286mm to 305mm. Here are the parts I used:
StopTeach Powerslot Rotors 126.39026SL

New and larger caliper brackets are also needed to clear the new, bigger rotors. A new caliper is not needed, just the bracket. The p/n is 36000727

Here is a comparison between the old 286mm and the new 305mm brackets:

I used the Akebono premium brake pads this time. I have used them in the past and they provide great stopping power with minimal brake dust.

I will not go into detail about how to change the rotors and pads since there are many threads on that subject here on swwedespeed already. I will just advise to take your time and make sure all bolts are tight before heading out on the road. Also, the 305mm rotors will fit the original 16" wheels without the need for spacers. Here are some before and after photos.
Rotor Comparison:

Old Rotor:

New Rotor:

Side by side comparison:

This was my first time changing rotors and calipar brackets so it took me a lot longer than expected. Overall the new rotors look great and the car stops on a dime. I will do an update on their effectiveness later on. If you guys have any question feel free to ask. Enjoy!

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
Nice XC70. I've always been a fan of Lava... Especially with a chocolate interior. Bigger rotors should have been standard from the factory... The XC stops well but it is still a 3800lb car being stopped by pretty small front brakes... especially compared to an R.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I need to do this very soon. Was considering those exact rotors actually! Will also be my first time; if you don't mind me asking how long did it take?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice XC70. I've always been a fan of Lava... Especially with a chocolate interior. Bigger rotors should have been standard from the factory... The XC stops well but it is still a 3800lb car being stopped by pretty small front brakes... especially compared to an R.
I agree, those rotors looked tiny for such a large car! The Lava Sand was not my first choice but it has definitely grown on me. I was looking for another Navy blue XC70 but all I found were the Barents Blue Mettallic which is a lighter color. Overall I'm very happy with this color now.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I need to do this very soon. Was considering those exact rotors actually! Will also be my first time; if you don't mind me asking how long did it take?
If I hadn't stopped so much for lunch and other things (fiancé came over to do wedding planning), it would've taken me only a couple of hours. If you've never done it before just make sure you have all the tools you need beforehand. Also, apparently the stoptech rotors are side specific. Somehow I ended up with two left one so I have to take it off and get the correct one on.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey guys, I have a buddy out in Tempe AZ who has been giving me great deals on OEM parts, and free shipping. Here's his info if you want to try him out
Volvo of Tempe
Jonathan Verdugo
480-941-2400
Tell him Andres sent you.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Great rotor choise! :D

Only downside to slotted rotors is they'll cause a slight vibration heavy braking and they'll go through pads faster (trade off for better braking). I would have gone with a semi-metallic pad rather than a ceramic, but that' just my choice.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great rotor choise! :D

Only downside to slotted rotors is they'll cause a slight vibration heavy braking and they'll go through pads faster (trade off for better braking). I would have gone with a semi-metallic pad rather than a ceramic, but that' just my choice.
What pads are you using?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So after having the car for 3 months I've discovered that a few parts were missing or needed to be replaced. The first is the drivers side seatbelt gate. Mine broken and missing an entire side so I called my guy in Arizona and got a replacement. The p/n is 39873711. This is for the ARENA color which is very similar if not exactly like the OAK color available in earlier model years. Cost was $18.00

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
07 IS called OAK.. the only "tan" available

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Next upgrade was the VOLVO emblem on the door sills. They were getting rusty and oxidized so I replaced them with the sport aluminum sills. The p/n is 30660963. I found them brand new on EBay for $30. These make a big difference in style.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Mr. XC70 is looking good today.
It's almost 70 degrees here in GA. Winter will come late this year, if at all.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts