SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did several quick searches but couldn't quite find what I was looking for...

Yes yes I am well aware of the alarm failure issue, I was wondering if this could be another issue?

So initially, the alarm would go off randomly and I do have the typical alarm system message popping up most times I get in the car.

HOWEVER, I took out the fuse for the siren and it kept happening. After getting more upset after learning that the part is upwards of $200+, I took out the fuse for the horn as well. This solved the sound but still the flashers would go off. Not wanting to drill the rivets out last night I took off the front bumper thinking I could get to the siren from the front but several frustrations later due to rain and other factors I came to realize you can't due to the washer reservoir. But, on some offhand thought, that sometimes when I shook my pockets or put down my key fob the doors would lock a few times then the flashers would go off (because the fuses are still not in), I went to wallyworld and put in a new fob battery. All symptoms have gone away except the message in the gauge cluster.

I assume I still should do the siren, and I just got a battery from a local hobby shop, but the sound is the same sound that emits when you push the panic button on the fob. Could this have been a simple fix? It hasn't happened since, but I am reluctant to put the horn fuse back in yet. My sun roof doesn't work as per the alarm issue, and yes I will be doing that this week more than likely, I am just wondering if anyone else could have experienced this with a faulty / dying fob? Could the issue be that my fob is just old and need a new one?

Also, I've repaired the wires in the back hatch that get pinched and broken. I've seen several posts hinting that could be the cause as well.

All input is welcomed as long as it's constructive!

06 v70 2.5t 210k miles

·
Registered
816 Posts
It sounds like a faulty siren box or failing battery in it. It's super easy to swap the battery and cheap. Start there. Just pull the passenger side headlight and it's behind that...

·
Registered
16,810 Posts
I was lucky and bought one on a part out from someone at 85 as he had just replaced it before a deer took his XC out. I have had the bumper off and even the headlight out because I was replacing a passenger light housing from when my son hit a deer and it wasn’t gonna happen easily from what I could tell. The XC had to be put back together and it was also cold and dark. I think you need to have access from wheel well side plus the headlight out to get good enough space to get at both rivets.
It sounds like a faulty siren box or failing battery in it. It's super easy to swap the battery and cheap. Start there. Just pull the passenger side headlight and it's behind that...

·
Registered
13,451 Posts
Just realize that the failed battery may have leaked acid all over the circuit board...

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
It can be done without drilling rivets. I just removed the metal plate in the wheel well and the plastic shroud can be bent enough to reach your hand up there to loosen the 10mm nut, then remove it through headlight hole.. A bit tricky but it is possible.

I just removed the alarm, don't need the issues cropping up again in the future.

·
Registered
17,301 Posts
Leave the bracket attached to the car.

Bumper off, headlight out. Good access from front and underneath. Ratcheting wrench for the top and an extension tree on a ratchet for the bottom nut. They’re studs attached to the siren and once loosened enough to wiggle, the module will come out. Upon reinstallation I only used the top stud there’s no way it’ll ever come free (nyloc and space constraint).

·
Registered
16,810 Posts
Hmm. I shall have to investigate if the car is here in a week+ when the temps drop and I have the time to disassemble and not rush.
If it goes to school with my daughter, I will have to do it in the Spring while she's abroad in Europe for the semester.
Leave the bracket attached to the car.

Bumper off, headlight out. Good access from front and underneath. Ratcheting wrench for the top and an extension tree on a ratchet for the bottom nut. They’re studs attached to the siren and once loosened enough to wiggle, the module will come out. Upon reinstallation I only used the top stud there’s no way it’ll ever come free (nyloc and space constraint).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts