SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious if local US dealers have any kickback/incentive to sell and help you with the OSD. I am asking because I have not heard back from mine after requesting info on it.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Don't bet on it. You're already getting huge incentives and I doubt the dealer is getting much from Volvo for the sale due to the increased cost (your tickets) and the minimal cost to the dealer (no time on the lot costing interest).

Not only that but it is advertised as "no haggle" pricing. Dealer kickback/incentive to you would require a bit of "haggling".

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
I would suggest talking with Bob or William from this site.....they are very knowledgeable regarding the OSD program!!!

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Curious if local US dealers have any kickback/incentive to sell and help you with the OSD. I am asking because I have not heard back from mine after requesting info on it.
An OSD deal is quite less profitable (overall) to a U.S. retailer. Still, no excuse for them not getting back to you.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did reach out to William and he was quick to respond with plenty of info. Very appreciative of that and already feel like he will take care of me if I decide to move forward.

I am curious - what is in it for William and/or Laurance Volvo to put forward this website and so much effort and assistance. I hope I don't come off rude asking this... I would be inclined to say they/he is simply a top notch dealer/coordinator and has perfected this so much that the "small" kick back" is enough to be worth his time. But perhaps this is some other avenue that one of you are aware of.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
I did reach out to William and he was quick to respond with plenty of info. Very appreciative of that and already feel like he will take care of me if I decide to move forward.

I am curious - what is in it for William and/or Laurance Volvo to put forward this website and so much effort and assistance. I hope I don't come off rude asking this... I would be inclined to say they/he is simply a top notch dealer/coordinator and has perfected this so much that the "small" kick back" is enough to be worth his time. But perhaps this is some other avenue that one of you are aware of.
The retailers (and sales consultants) who are smart and love taking care of customers will work all angles of this business, not just the immediate sale. The true rewards, in my opinion, are not just how much money you can make but how to go about this business and make a difference...be different.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts

Good customer service and long term focus. You might have a friend who wants to buy OSD or is in his geographical area. You'll tell them how good your experience was and they'll go to them. Maybe someone in the geographical area will need service and go to that dealer for the same reason. Or even just Volvo brand identity. I ended up buying OSD locally because the one dealer was able to get me a loaner for a weekend (think "long test drive") before I bought my first Volvo -- I figured they deserved the $$ for the effort.

I keep going back to that dealer for service and have recommended them multiple times.

OSD is good for Volvo -- they couldn't pay for the kind of publicity I've given them from the trip. I've been asked repeatedly about the red Euro plate on the front -- then I explain the program and how great I think the car is.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Good customer service and long term focus. You might have a friend who wants to buy OSD or is in his geographical area. You'll tell them how good your experience was and they'll go to them. Maybe someone in the geographical area will need service and go to that dealer for the same reason. Or even just Volvo brand identity. I ended up buying OSD locally because the one dealer was able to get me a loaner for a weekend (think "long test drive") before I bought my first Volvo -- I figured they deserved the $$ for the effort.

I keep going back to that dealer for service and have recommended them multiple times.

OSD is good for Volvo -- they couldn't pay for the kind of publicity I've given them from the trip. I've been asked repeatedly about the red Euro plate on the front -- then I explain the program and how great I think the car is.
+1.

Once you take delivery in Sweden and drive the car out of the Delivery Center, it turns into a used car, not subject to importation fees/taxes/tariffs. Shipment of my car to the U.S. was a whopping $427. I don't know if that is the same fee charged for new vehicles brought over.

My guess is the savings they get from this helps to offset the cost of the airfare they buy for you. In fact Volvo probably gets a discount on the airfares as well since they buy a fair number of seats, so it might work out that the money they save from shipping a used car to the U.S. fully covers the cost of the trip. Again, my guess.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Once you take delivery in Sweden and drive the car out of the Delivery Center, it turns into a used car, not subject to importation fees/taxes/tariffs.
Actually - if you take careful look at your paperwork you'll see that there are import duties, etc - these costs are built into the fixed price of the car you buy through VCNA's OSD program.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts